[CRITICAL] For ability

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by squish, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Okay. You talk about needing to save script space... but why is Bob still even in the NOTD map to begin with?
    Skills
    Effects
    Triggers
    anything related to bob needs to be REMOVED. That's a great way to save script space, is to take out the stuff that's not needed. save it to a different map if you'd like to preserve it. Demo Firewall (Dummy) is another thing I found. You wanna save script space? you needa axe the stuffs you don't use dude.
  2. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Post approved.
  3. squish

squish Well-Known Member

I've got a bit of an aged version of the map, man. It's a BIT old, but not terribly so. If you'd like I can take the time and go through my version of the map and point out what doesn't really and truly need to be there, what might could be temporarily axed to save space, etc.
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Dummy's get used for something IIRC. Not sure for what. Banelings were strange to look at for their weapon effect stuffs.

A thread like this was in the Black Ops forum a long while back. There hasn't been any major concerns about script space AFAIK.

Also; -spectate x (Arcelia)

and a bit more was mentioned.

For those in Black Ops, this thread is where it is.http://www.notdstarcraft.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=404

Yes, I know, 404 trollolol.
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I wouldn't call this critical. Could have simply been put in Suggestions.
  6. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Based on what gets suggested, and what gets implemented, there was a less than 15% chance that it would've even been brought to Abi's attention. So, no. This gets its own thread, and I will bump this thread until The Man himself posts in it.
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

So your answer to something best left within the bounds of a developer is to annoy and prod at the developer and pull time away from something useful, despite the fact script space isn't too critical at the moment, and 2/3rds of the things you posted have NOTHING to do with the script space ie skills and effects, they have no impact on script space (Which is only really caused by I believe the limitations of addressing in the SC2 virtual machine that runs the script)
  8. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with script space? Have you SEEN THE AMOUNT OF TRIGGERS that Bob has? Let alone the shit related to his talents?[EDITED after this point] I doubt it; but hey... if you have, then please by all means correct my ignorance on that matter. If you wanna conserve space on the map, you axe the shit that's unneeded and/or unused.[EDIT2 after this point
    [attachment=1429]
    Should I really REALLY have to go any further?
  9. Mirage
    • Donator

No I haven't, but then again since the map has become stable and I believe big 'new' changes are going to be in NOTDv2 or w/e you need to relax your crap because there isn't much script space needed for fixes and things of that like. Triggers are the only thing that actually effect script space, and even that is a subjective term seeing as how scripts work the virtual machine only needs to address things that are being used, and seeing as bob isn't used (Except against I think hackers or something to kill them? Or TK'ers? I don't remember) Since they aren't used then they aren't taking up space technically in the VM; so just relax.

tl;dr

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  10. squish

squish Well-Known Member

moar shit:
  11. Mirage
    • Donator

You mean more you stop being an idiot because those are not script related?
  12. squish

squish Well-Known Member

See that lower left box? From the way I understand the editor (I may or may not be wrong) Anything in that segment of the editor takes up scripting space on the map, intentionally or not, active or not, because it's just there. Gravity Gun AND SHIVA are still there. The version of the map I have is outdated by about 3 weeks afai can tell. But GG and Bob/Sheep... that shit shouldn't even be there even by that map's date. Anything that executes an action directly or not takes up script space.
  13. Mirage
    • Donator

Since you don't seem to grasp the concept of the split of DATA and SCRIPT I think I will simplify it.

The ONLY thing that takes script space, are script things ie TRIGGERS only.

EVERYTHING else is data (ie unit data) and resources (ie images, renders for units.. etc etc etc)
  14. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

Something for both Squish and Mirage

[​IMG]
  15. Mirage
    • Donator

That was about as useful as NS.
  16. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

What's NS
  17. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Data =/= script. Gotta have SOMETHING to tell the game how to render the unit right? Scripts do that. In any case, unless you present a calm and levelheaded post that is completely unrelated to the stuff you and I were arguing about just now, I'm going to ignore every one of your posts in this thread. I will not let you hijack it and get it all off topic, because I seriously think moderators are considering just closing the topic. I won't let that happen. End of discussion.
  18. Mirage
    • Donator

Script means triggers that are things that contain variables that need to be addressed.

Unit 'script (More like unit data)' is completely independent from that, and is just XML that tells SC2 how to render things and connect them to the stuff you see on the screen, go read up on the starcraft 2 script VM before you go prattling on about script space.
  19. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

There wasn't any need to get so aggressive both of you. This could have been simplified much easily by simply stating he was in the Data Editor Which is mainly for making units/models/limited abilities. Some Abilities would take up script, only if they required triggers. Other's wouldn't.

Everything in the Data Editor takes up little space (its essentially what you download), and is irrelevant to the Script Line Limit.

Removing them would be have no significance in changes to Map Size, or Script Limit.

IIRC the Trigger Editor was the one with two gears; That is where Script Lines would be used, building towards reaching the limit.
  20. Mirage
    • Donator

I stated that the first and second time already, extra elaboration is sometimes needed when someone doesn't know how to read posts before answering though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.