CP in Easy Recruit

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Kith, May 24, 2013.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

The problem with Pubs is that you hemorrhage CP if you're playing with newbie friends and trying to teach them the game. It's the majority of the reason why I haven't played pub in... forever. Not enough reward, too much punishment. The way it is now is to discourage grinding, but it also hurts the veterans that want to teach newbies and get them interested in NOTD (and expanding our playerbase for free).

To that end, I propose EC Recruit should have +1 CP per win (capped at 20) with no decay. The cap allows players to build up a moderate amount for whatever class they like and the lack of a decay allows instructors to do their thing with impunity.

We kind of sorely need this if we want to stay relevant for a significant amount of time. The easier we get people involved in NOTD, the longer we're going to stay relevant and therefore afloat.
  2. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

So you mean that when someone got over 20cp in a played class he won't gain more? OR that if someone got a total of 20cp (or other number) overall classes he won't gain.

I'd rather see some kind of a total cp for pub, as i feel giving oportunity to get 20cp in each and every class for a recruit games as way too ez.
    Something along the lines of 20 on a class cap and say 3classes max. My idea got instant problem of what happens if someone would want to 'respec' as no decay would lock his cps effectively, and most likely can't get resolved but you know. [only idea i got is to delay the no gain no decay thingy to some xp like 10 or 20k]
    I worked my ass off to get cp everywhere, keeping them all above 40 isn't easy either even playing nm exclusively.

When i play pub what happens rarely but does i simply suicide shortly before queen dies, it's like 2-3rating loss and 30xp less for keeping my cp safe.
    Also i don't think recruit rewards are low last time i pubed i spend 70% of it reading a book and next 20% writing clues to new guys playing a crofl. It got me like 60xp dying to queen and ~25creds
  3. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Maybe only have no CP decay while playing as Medic, Demo, or Assault? Those 3 classes are not very noob friendly and are key classes to victory
  4. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

demo + assault are noob friendly... they very simple.
    Assa
    DPS press Q
    Tank do nothing

Demo
    press V

no cp decay until xp is 2k-10k
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

This. This way, EC Pub has a major utility for vets - they can use it to grind up CP in classes that they don't have CP in yet as an opportunity to learn the class without fear. It will encourage veteran participation for this very reason, because there are many who enjoy having CP in everything.
  6. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Can we lower that to 10? 20 seems a tad much for pubs
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I'd be perfectly fine with lowering it to 10. It's the concept of building up some and then it capping is what's important.
  8. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

9. YetiSwarm
    • Donator

YetiSwarm Member

I play quite a few pub games because I often play at odd hours when there aren't a lot of people around so I really like the idea of losing the decay. However, the idea of a cap, whether it's 10 or 20 is significantly less appealing to me - I'd never be able to gain any more cp in my favorite classes.

So I propose: instead of a hard cap, make a soft cap of let's say 10 and you only have a 25% chance to gain cp if you're at or above the cap. This will be a bit like the reverse of the decay idea). This way people can still work towards those higher bonuses in pub games if that's all they're stuck playing (by choice or timing), but doing so is not going to be easy and certainly not a recommended way of farming cp.
  10. Ginger Gerald

Ginger Gerald Well-Known Member

11. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Must've forgot to throw my two cents in before but I like this idea as well, with the cap of 10.
  12. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Did we reach a decision on this, and if so, is it in the production queue?
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

It's in the "eventually" box, along with Luck.
  14. VickHead
    • Donator

VickHead Mercenary

Eventually has come - I believe CP Decay was originally there to encourage players to push into Nightmare games, which works for the most part. The unpleasant side effect it has is discouraging "vet" players from playing pubs. For me, it's really the only reason I avoid pubs. Can we change this where it still encourages pushing into nightmare without discouraging pub games?

Proposition:
    - Create an XP threshold that eliminates CP gain and CP Decay completely in Recruit games.
    OR
    - Create a command to do so on a game-to-game basis (-cpoff) or something

I feel a change like this will help keeping vets to play with the newbies we need to keep the community going, while still encouraging them to play the NM games to build up their CP.

Thoughts/ideas? Thanks
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  15. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

If you wanted average XP to be high you also avoid pubs. But yes, 10 CP in a class is almost mandatory in other difficulties as you start out at level 1 and have bonus shield armor. I see no issue removing CP decay in pub and capping at 10.