[Contest] Arturia made the most broken thing

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Kith, Aug 11, 2012.

1. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Art. You're wrong. The flamer does not ALWAYS do 8 damage... vs. pretty much everything and its mother (read: biological) it does 13. 13 x 12. 156
    [hr]
    But I will admit I didn't bother using parentheses. WINDOWS CALCULATOR FTW.
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

squish, not every damn enemy in this game is biological, and not all enemies are ground based, and we don't use the ideal scenario of against an enemy that the highest dps can be achieved.

Problem was you multiplied the damage's boosts instead of adding them, as they should have been. They aren't multiplicative; only Critical strike and the sum of the damage boosts are multiplied.

If we went with the ideal scenario of things, SMG and Pistol would be rapists on that list, considering the amount of -Armor that could happen. And Ivax Bane would be handy.

-10 BURN
    -5,3,1 Laser Designator
    -1 AP Ammo
    -1 Motion Sensor
    -10 Repulse
    Total: -31 armor. (Not too sure if Burn 1 & 2 stack, and if Motion Sensor 1 & 2 stack.)

31 extra SMG damage, 45.5 extra Pistol damage.

tl;dr Don't use the perfect, ideal scenario. Go with the generic scenario so as to ensure minimum problems. Specifying a Weapon isn't the thing that was asked for, it was the a class combination that is OP. If said Combination is OP, it won't matter too much what weapon you use, as any weapon would still be OP.
    [hr]
    squish, not every enemy in this game is biological, and not all enemies are ground based, and we don't use the ideal scenario of against an enemy that the highest dps can be achieved with a specific weapon.

Problem was you multiplied the damage's boosts instead of adding them, as they should have been. They aren't multiplicative; only Critical strike and the sum of the damage boosts are multiplied.

If we went with the ideal scenario of things, SMG and Pistol would be rapists on that list, considering the amount of -Armor that could happen. And Ivax Bane would be handy.

-10 BURN
    -5,3,1 Laser Designator
    -1 AP Ammo
    -1 Motion Sensor
    -10 Repulse
    Total: -31 armor. (Not too sure if Burn 1 & 2 stack, and if Motion Sensor 1 & 2 stack.)

31 extra SMG damage, 45.5 extra Pistol damage.

tl;dr Don't use the perfect, ideal scenario. Go with the generic scenario so as to ensure minimum problems. Specifying a Weapon isn't the thing that was asked for, it was the a class combination that is OP. If said Combination is OP, it won't matter too much what weapon you use, as any weapon would still be OP.
  3. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Motion sensor 1 & 2 DO stack. However, I'm not certain on burn 1 & 2, however, I'd imagine they do since there are different debuffs to them. BHS 2 Also reduces a fuckton of armor. Probe 1 and plasma charge level 3 would be alot of armor debuff by itself. (make a laser heal somebody anyone? :D? Yes? no? maybe so?) ANNNNYWAYS... Back ontopic. I was unaware how NOTD or SC2 for that matter stacks damage buffs so, eheh. You win.
  4. Arturia

Meh, simple explaining of how Damage goes:
    Your damage is X.
    A few damage boosts:
    12%
    50%
    33%
    These would be calculated as X * (1 + 12% + 50% + 33% or 1 + .12 +.5 + .33).
    So, X * 1.95 would be from those damage boosts.

Lets say the weapon you have deals has an armor - damage reduce ratio of .5 (1 point of armor reduces damage by .5).

The target enemy has -5 armor.

So after (X * 1.95) you would subtract the amount of armor multiplied by the armor damage ratio.

(X * 1.95) - (-5)(.5)
    (X * 1.95) + 2.5

Lastly, you have critical strike. If this hit critical strikes, its damage would be shown as:

((X * 1.95) + 2.5) * 2

If we want to display a % chance of critical strike, 2x damage at 10% chance is equal to 10% damage increase; you can also display it so that you indicate how many will critical strike and how many won't, multiplying the attacks that critical strike by 2, then adding those two values.

Proof on Critical Strike of 2x Damage at 10% chance is equal to a 10% damage increase:
    Out of 100 attacks, 10 do 2x as much damage.
    100 - 10 = 90.
    10 * 2 = 20
    90 + 20 = 110.
    From those 100 attacks, you have dealt the damage of 110 attacks, which is a 10% increase.

So, factoring in critical strike of 10% (assuming 1 normal sized clip)

((X * 1.95) + 2.5) * 1.1 * 30

OR

((X * 1.95) + 2.5) * 2 * 3 + ((X * 1.95) + 2.5) * 27

IF not looking for clip damage, and just base damage:

((X * 1.95) + 2.5) * 1.1

Let us now say the target enemy also has Heightened Senses applied to it (25% increased damage taken). HS is much more powerful then a 25% damage boost, as it applies directly to the enemy.

To show it, it would be the last in the damage calculation.

(((X * 1.95) + 2.5) * 1.1) * 1.25 [ Final Value ]

To summarize,

Add all % Damage boosts together as a % and then add 1, then multiply them by the base weapon damage.
    If there is a flat damage boost, add it to the weapon damage now.
    Factor enemy armor in next (add / subtract).
    Factor Critical Strike in using multiplication after the Weapon's damage has been indicated.
    Lastly, any on enemy debuffs that make it take increased / decreased damage taken would be factored in lastly through multiplication.
  5. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Deer gawd. Have you no life? Do you molest the data editor in its sleep and suck its brain (such as it is) dry of ALL knowledge?
    Jk. Thx for explanation Arturia.
  6. Arturia

I either type fast enough or have too much time on my hands. I observe, and then I hypothesize.