Concept Weapon

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by squish, Apr 5, 2012.

1. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Plasma Pistol
    Rarity: Uncommon
    Ammunition usage: energy; variable
    Idea: minimum 5 damage with .5 energy consumption per shot, maximum 100 with 10 energy consumption per shot, does not consume ammunition
    .6 attack speed to 1.1 attack speed...
    range: 5 - 14 (depending on power)
    splash 1.2
    Energy increments: .5 , 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.
    damage increments: 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100
    On equip: drain 5 energy to charge the pistol for the first shot, and .2246 energy overtime to maintain the "charged" state. *WARNING: THIS WILL CUT THE ENGINEER'S ENERGY REGENERATION IN HALF!*
    Damage Specialties: +.5 vs armored, at minimum, +10 at max.
    -.5 vs psionic at minimum power, -10 at max.
    armor reduction: .5
    Ability: Overcharge (only at full power, and deals 250 damage, disables attack for 4 seconds while the pistol "cools off"
    does have autoattack.

every +2 increments of energy: +.1 attack speed.
    .5/1 energy, .6 attack speed
    2/3 energy, .7 attack speed
    4/5 energy, .8 attack speed
    6/7 energy, .9 attack speed
    8/9 energy, 1 attack speed.
    10 energy, 1.1 attack speed
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Hey, I always appreciate new ideas. Never know when one will get used.

Just some questions, considering the pistol has an Autoattack how would you use variable energy? And where on a command card would Overcharge necessarily fit in?

It's not a bad idea necessarily. Just seems like it would have to rewrite the basics of the game far too much in order to use it. So that Work>Reward in implementing it.

That and considering it's attack speed, how fast it would gimp your energy, particularly if using DPS increasing talents, and how relatively low it's damage is for it, I am finding it hard to imagine what class would typically use it. Commando is the only one I could see really making it work. Maybe. I don't even think they could cut fast enough to make it work. And even then at the 10 energy mark (Kinda hefty considering a MM could get 600+ damage for 20), it's not necessarily that much more effective than a Flamethrower on the sheer damage side of things, and maybe not the Range side either depending on how that scale slides.

Not attempting to discourage you or anything. Hell, the gods only know how many bad ideas I've posted on the board.
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

And we can use this as the icon.
    [​IMG]
  4. squish

squish Well-Known Member

would be good on tech. o.o
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

The Combat Rifleman would find his true calling in this weapon.
  6. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

More like Combat Rofl would be massively OP with this. The attack speed progression for upping the damage would be undone by rapid fire, so would just set it to max setting. Give Rofl an arc or 2 and now you have a non reloading splashing Bar.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Not even arc reactors. Dude's base regen is already stupidly high.
  8. squish

squish Well-Known Member

umm.. the more you up the energy usage, the SLOWER it would fire.
    edit: oh wait, i just re-read it. o.o. i for some reason saw focus fire. but at 10 energy per shot, with bloodlust, focus, 3/3 crit/rapid you'd be at about .7 or some such. all your energy would go bai bai.
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Pretty much my reasoning Squish as to why this would be a poor weapon.

Look at the Rifleman. In order to use it consistantly (Breaking even with energy), not even using Bloodlust, Focused Fire, or even sprint, he'd need to artificially slow his attack to about one every 6 seconds for a fully charged shot. Sure, you can fire faster at lower energy. But the bottom few marks are so low on the damage scale it's not really worth considering them.

Rifleman at 100 Energy, taking 10 energy shots, no use of Focused Fire or Bloodlust, you'd be tapped out of energy in about 12 shots. Upping to 145 with Intelligence has you tapped out in about 16 shots.

Then you got about a minute of not using any abilities at all to recharge enough energy to do it again.

I mean it might be good in the right situation. But... eh. I personally wouldn't like it. Maybe in a Nightmare Game when ammo gets really, really short and the bullets saved by doing such a thing would matter. But even then I couldn't use it even that paltry amount because I need energy for Traps/Repulse as well.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Rifleman has 1.5 energy regen per second. Upping the maximum with Intelligence and dumping all of the energy you can into firing means that you can kite and shoot a Barret-with-splash without expending ammo or really any kind of energy management issues because it's the fucking Rifleman. Things will also get stupid and/or funny with the Rocketeer Pathfinder being able to use energy to murder things with not jumps.
  11. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

You need to keep in mind that, despite being energy weapon, it's still a pistol-type, it might be stronger than standard issued pistol but there's seriously no way it should outdps assault rifles and automatic weapons.

If it's Plasma Minigun then that's another story XD.