Computer advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by QuantumMech, Jun 21, 2012.

1. QuantumMech

QuantumMech Well-Known Member

So I have reached one of the ultimate first world problems, I will have a large amount of money flowing into my pockets here soon (graduation party) and I have to choose between one of these two laptops:

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwrs72-e ... -4475.html

and

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g55vwds71-p-4322.html

The price difference is negligible and the only thing that is left to help me decide is whether I want the bigger, slightly more cumbersome, computer with the better graphics card, or the smaller, slightly lighter and more comfortable computer. Any input would be appreciated, and thanks!
  2. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Well-Known Member

Is the size of the bigger one going to be an issue at all to you? If it isn't "too big" then I don't see why not.

From looking at it, it seems to be portable enough
  3. Inquisitor

Inquisitor New Member

If you gonna spend that kind of money for what i'm assuming is a gaming pc, get a desktop. much less hassles than a laptop etc.
  4. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

I am currently an owner of the ASUS G55-VW. I do have to say that it is a great laptop that runs really well. The only problem I would say about this laptop is that it has one hard drive bay instead of 2 like the previous Asus G53. So if you wanted to install another hard drive like a SSD, then that could be a problem.

In my honest opinion, its a really great laptop that works wonders for the price that one would be paying for it. Initally, I was considering to purchase the Asus G75, but I realized that it was a little too large and that I should only get it if I was considering a desktop replacement, which I really wasn't. PM me if you have any further questions QuantumMech.
  5. QuantumMech

I would, but I do need a portable computer for college, I'm pretty sure I do anyway, and I will wait until I am out to get a desktop.

I did originally move away from the 17" idea because it was rather large (I don't see 17" lappys very often, but when I did, and with how much more they cost, I didn't want that) until I saw the price difference of only $10, which is small enough that I thought I should reconsider. Again thanks for the advice.
  6. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

My advice is pretty much what Pyro said. If the extra size doesn't affect you then I'd go for the bigger one, since the price difference is rather small.
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

If you've got stupid amounts of money consider a falcon northwest or a origin (originpc.com)
  8. QuantumMech

I wouldn't say stupid amounts of money, but I will check it out.
  9. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

I just say that because i've had to RMA my ASUS G73SW 3 times now, once for a GPU failure, then twice again for the GPU failure in which they did nothing to fix it, so in my opinion their support has really laxed too much.
  10. Inquisitor

Inquisitor New Member

Falcon Northwest is damn overpriced... Unfortunately one cannot build a laptop as easily as a desktop. If you were building a desktop, I'd say build it up yourself.
  11. QuantumMech

As I plan to once I am out of college.