Community Challenge: Back to Basics (old)

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Reaper, May 18, 2012.

1. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

[align=center]Community Challenge
    Back to Basics

A simple challenge but it should be interesting to try out and entertaining to watch. :p[/align]

Story: Easy Company
    Mode: Hardened/Veteran/Nightmare
    Primary Conditions: The following classes must be chosen
    • 2 Medics
    • 2 Assaults
    • 4 Rifleman
    Secondary Conditions: This is a list of things to do while in-game. These must be achieved.
    • Nydus Worms must be killed during the 7 minutes holdout for Evac.
    • Eggs in the Airlock must be killed during their trigger duration.
    • Evac may not be called with Flares. Players must be present at the initial Evac zone.
    • Cameras around Apollo need to be activated and triggered.
    • Game must be finished within 1:45:00 or less of game time.
    • Infestors, Menoetes, Mineshaft, Lelantos, Erebos 2 are optional.

+1 Reputation (Back to Basics Challenge Completed) for each member that partakes in this challenge. You have the weekend to complete this challenge.

Challenge ends at the start of 21 May 2012
  2. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

RE: Community Challenge: Back to Basics

I think this would be a great challenge, but itll be annoying trying to get the people for it.
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Sounds rather difficult to kill all nydi in 7 minutes AND be at the exact LZ before the dropship arrives with only the 3 base classes. Would come down to luck.
  4. Foehammer
    • Donator

Foehammer Well-Known Member

Also i think it would make more sense if instead of 2 medics we have one medic and one marksman. A small squad only needs one good medic and what would it be without the sniper who never talks to anyone?
  5. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Yeah, this will be insanely hard to do based on nydus rolls. If you get the nice roll of one worm on each corner of the map, your basically screwed (either miss one or be no where near evac point). Best case is 1 worm right outside airlock with 3 worms right side of map with dropship at fort. Worse case is worm north of airlock, worm at mining camp, worm at civ evac, worm at top bridge, with dropship back at ec muta or hill.
    [hr]
    The intent of this challenge is to win with base classes only. Having even 1 MM would instantly make this 100x easier. Since your team is already packing mass dps (arms/crofls/nano medic), you would just pick 1 SMM and he could solo worms/mentos/huggers/cams with little issue. Plus if he got stinger (not holding my breath), eggs also becomes far far less risky).
  6. Reaper

Whats this? Is my challenge too hard?

No Marksman. Only the 3 basic classes hence the name - Back to Basics.

As for the Nydus Worms, come on. Follow a figure 8 or S. The less worms the fewer spawns then the easier it gets. You are simply meant to put your kiting and maneuver skills to the max. If you cant then too bad.

The Nydus sequence is the only actual ballbuster to this. You got 4 Rifleman so you are guaranteed supreme mob control with Grenade, Sonic Traps, Bloodlust and Repulse.

This challenge is possible. Just get moving. :cool:

I'll be partaking in this challenge over the weekend.
  7. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

I would say the challenge is straightforward on any level of vet. On NM however, the worms will be a routine wipe, since most of the dropship locations are NOT high ground so you must hold your ground (no kiting) against mass hulks/agrons. If you get dropship at SY/Comms/North Main bridge, you are asking for trouble. That's basically the only part of the challenge that makes this a total crapshoot on NM. As for getting moving, the rifleman/medic impressive speed and kiting is negated by the slow moving asstank, whom they must stay with at all times and more or less orbit him. Having 3.5 MS doesn't mean anything here really.

The only thing that would make it much easier on NM is to find barret, give it to a Combat Rifle and have him solo worms while team holds somewhere near drophip. This is predicated on killing every hugger first.
  8. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

Tonight, AP. Let the riflemen do some work ;)
  9. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

The arms assaults just carve through everything. Worst case scenario you split into to teams and each take two worms.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

You know, funny story; I suggested something very similar to ArcanePariah recently. A team composed of 2 Riflemen, 2 Medics, 2 Assaults, and 2 Recons, with no tree repeats. He said it was very interesting, and I suggested he waited until the Rifleman and the Assault reworks go through so I could get a clear replay testing all four edited trees. But then you had to go and ruin it by suggesting basically the same thing, but with more DPS potential. :E
  11. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Personally, I never recalled going to the Evac Zone for Ammo. Just went there later on to pick it up, but when that would have been relevant, Pubs almost never had Nydus worms, and I was a newbie, and you weren't penalized for absurd amounts of clips.
  12. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Yeah, doing this challenge with recon alters everything, because recon gives your team reach (ie remote capabilities). Mob con would be able to cloak solo worms + huggers + find gear/ammo. SS con drone would solo all out of the way worms and provide emergency defense with protect and stun, as well as supplemental DPS.
  13. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Oh, without question. The amount of Support is immense with both trees. But it also makes things somewhat more difficult, because you have less potential Sonic Traps to control mobs with and you also have less potential DPS from Combat.
  14. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Agreed, but in both cases, they more the adequately replace the riflman. Traps -> Countermeasures, LD + Motion add to entire team dps and that little drone that could, can pack quite a punch.
  15. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yup. Knife Kite Drone Flamethrowering, always fun.
  16. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Look what I found.
  17. Reaper

You see, I told you I put this challenge out before. :p Just tweaked a bit
  18. grandmarshal

grandmarshal New Member

Hell, Arms Assault is too OP for EC. get a shotty early in the game n basically they rule the roost in dps...