Community Challenge: Back to Basics (new)

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Reaper, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

This one was set out by me before but it hasn't been completed so let rise this challenge and be undertaken with some added tweaks thanks to the secondary challenges. :cool:

Storyline: Easy Company and Alpha Company
    Mode: Nightmare
    Squad Size: 8 Members
    Game Time: 1:35:00

Difficulty: Hard - Brutal - Why u So Crazy?
    Difficulty Rated as: N/A

Primary Challenge:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Team composition in either of the storylines must consist of the following
    • 4 Rifleman
    • 2 Medics
    • 2 Assaults if Easy Company, 2 Flamethrowers if Alpha Company
    and victory must be achieved with at least 6 members left alive.
    Difficulty: Hard

Secondary Challenges
    Adventerous
    [​IMG]
    Difficulty: Brutal

Easy Company
    • No items are allowed to be purchased
    • All Nydus Worm spawns must be killed during the Evac Sequence
    • Menoetes must be killed before the start of Chapter 3
    • Eggs in the Airlock must be killed
    • No explosive weaponry is allowed (Stinger and L3)

Alpha Company
    • When searching for Tanaka, no member is to go solo

Marine Death Squad
    [​IMG]
    Difficulty: Disturbed

Easy Company
    • Eggs must be killed in the Airlock
    • All the Nydus Worms are to be killed during the Evac Sequence
    • The team must be present at the original Evac Location when it arrives (No Road Flares)
    • Menoetes must be killed before the start of Chapter 3
    • Players must be within Apollo City to during the release of all of the Bio-Domes from Bio-Dome A to D
    • No explosive weaponry is allowed

Alpha Company
    • Players may only hold out in the Armory after rescuing the Medical Team and after triggering Charlie
    • When searching for Dr Tanaka, no member is to go solo
    • Civilians/Refugees must be rescued, minimum of 25 saved
    • Perses is to be fought at the location where the reinforcements arrive

Death please...
    [​IMG]
    Difficulty: Why U So Crazy?

Easy Company
    • Same challenges as Marine Death Squad (see above)
    • Rescue 35 colonists

Alpha Company
    • Same challnges as Marine Death Squad (see above)
    • When Dr Tanaka is found, Cerberus is to be fought at that location
    • No explosive weaponry is allowed

NOTE: Ammunition may be purchased in the form of Magazines and Ammo Boxes during any challenge (even during the "no purchases")

Well Prepared
    [​IMG]
    Difficulty: Impossibru

Complete the Primary Challenge without picking up any items, you are however allowed to purchase all the items you may need for the game right at the start. For Alpha Company, no picking up items on your way to the armory. You can also if you want try a Secondary Challenge with this.
  2. Gattu

Gattu Well-Known Member

RE: Community Challenge: Back to Basics

What about the bonus objectives like cams, chem leak, comm tower, seth?
  3. Reaper

Thats entirely for the players to decide. Since they are mostly random it doesn't help I say "You must complete chem leaks" and then it doesn't trigger. Personally, I like to keep the challenges with the team on the move most of the time.
  4. grandmarshal

grandmarshal New Member

Heh...how about MM don't use a single talent point and win a game in EC

Ozy did it once last night without single hit & using any TP. Out level AMM also...
  5. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

Hehe sounds more challenging than Alpha wolves :D i'm still waiting till you decide to give a challenge for apollo like :you need 2 have 2 psiops thal ml the whole team and the tank aka if one dies all die xD
  6. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

As much as like challenges, A few notes on things to be adjusted.

Primary Challenge: This one is fine. I have done similar before, I just called all low classes (so you had recons). Denies you high DPS classes, and forces all trees to be used. I would say this would a good modification to the primary.

Adventurous: Reasonable, although eggs is somewhat of a crapshoot due to Broodmothers spawning at random. Menotes is also a random factor, thus this is also a dice roll, some games he will be easy to kill, others will have his route preclude you from ever completing worms. TL;DR Double random factors, one that is static, other dynamic = not happening.

Marine Death Sqaud: Holding out at Dropship location is pure dice roll. If you get 1 of the 3 high grounds, your fine. Everywhere else (given the classes) is autowipe and remake. It is effectively impossible to hold low ground against the sheer mobs, first mass infested rines picking people off, then hulks just battering in with charge, backed by agrons. This part is flat undoable.

Death Please: Not really any harder, would lump them together.

Well Prepared: Umm... easy? Given the classes, and some decent analysis, this is kind of a joke tbh. Buy all rifles HCM and HMG, get 1 combat rifle a barret, HCM/HP for Arms, Reactive/C6 for assault, double arcs for both medics, FMJ's for the barret wielder. Stack meds on tank, bandages and ammo all around, Probably would stack meds on assaults, and ammo boses on every other person. Omce FA med reaches Restore, both medics can exploit Restore buff to AV/SL away everything.
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

... So, hey. Is Impossibru allowed to be done solo?
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

I believe not, if I'm interpreting Reaper's post correctly, each side challenge expands on the base challenge.
  9. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Reaper, the challenge for Alpha Company isn't really a challenge anymore now that it's common for people to save all 52 (a few losses from mistakes) civilians every game, the only challenge of Demeter is killing it as fast as you can keeping it down and only attacking the tank with tentacles.

As for Perses fight... It's not hard as long as reinforcements don't appear on the central.
  10. Reaper

Dont worry, I'll get to the more interesting challenges. Saving the best for last.

And yeah, each challenge adds on to the previous one. The main challenge is the class selections and the secondary challenges add onto to that.

As for the pure randomness of most of it, I like my challenges to remove most of the players control and put you at the mercy of the game. Maybe its fun, nice and full of spice or it will have you cursing in a language you've never heard before. :p
  11. DrCaptain
    • Donator

DrCaptain Well-Known Member

Afrikaans?
  12. Reaper

Ja hoekom nie maar het een van julle ooit n Afrikaaner gehoor? :p

Translation: Yeah why not but have any of you ever heard an Afrikaans person?

I'm busy molding the next challenge so once this one is done, next one will be unveiled. ITS GONNA BE TIGHT YALL!:D
  13. DrCaptain
    • Donator

DrCaptain Well-Known Member

I've heard Krio, which is the official language of Sierra Leone, but that's the closest I've heard. Unfortunately, I missed the night that you and Inquisitor were talking back and forth in Afrikaans...it was driving NiteShade nuts. Whenever Inquisitor was on Vent, I'd bug him to say something in Afrikaans.

I like these challenges. They bring me back to the days when we were trying to get NM speed on Easy Company.
  14. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Reminds me of the days where we just accepted it was a given that you could beat Easy Company Nitemare with 3 Rifle, 3 Assault, 2 Medics. Back in the day... /oldmanmoment

Now if only I can find a team willing to run an Alpha Company set up...
  15. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

i'll be making a lobby in like 20 mins if you want to come pyrothrower for me.
  16. Ramses II
    • Donator

Death Please Alpha completed. With a leaver (who ended up dying). Props to MauSless, OmegaDeath, ArcturusV, Eclair, Bob, Raiyaz, and WhatTheHeo, I fucking love you guys. Too bad heo didn't get to stay and enjoy the victory.
  17. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I honestly think that Pyromancer is required for it. As odd as it sounds. The armor Debuff is just too important when about 90% of your damage is weapon based. Even then with me -10 armoring every boss and high profile target I could people were flirting with the end of Ammo.

Though I will say I also goobered that game up a lot and you can tell how rusty I am, and that I haven't had a lot of Nitemare games since I've been back. Missed almost all my perfect reloads. Got caught in stupid shit constantly. It's a testament to the team that I made it. xD
  18. Reaper

To the team that finished this challenge and with the Death please... condition, what difficulty level would you give it?
  19. Ramses II
    • Donator

We also got a bit lucky with the best spawn locations for tanaka and perses.
    [hr]
    Well, I spend a good 4 hours yesterday trying to do the EC NM version to no avail (the eggs was basically impossible). I'd say it was a good bit harder than any game I've won recently, but the team didn't really mess up and we were able to get through all the major issues.
    [hr]
    The hardest part was probably going fast enough and having enough ammo, on top of bosses taking so long without a mm or mando.
  20. Reaper

I don't mean to be a spoil sport on this one but - You did see the Death Please... challenge said "Players may only hold out in the Armory after rescuing the Medical Team and after triggering Charlie"

EDIT: After watching the full replay and how damn close it was I will let you guys have this one and say congratulations on completing the Back to Basics, Death Please... Challenge! :) Truly awesome game play.