Community and Experience Discussions

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

This stuff doesn't really fit in the Questions and Suggestions thread.

1) I've currently got two big projects on my plate, the first being a detailed Psi Ops hand-holding guide, the second being my big suggestion post on Recruit Mode and newbie approachability. The latter is an important matter and I encourage you all to throw in your lot.

2) I've taken over the dead Q&A thread and will begin updating it again. If you object, tough.

3) The forum is still booming. The initial growth curve from recovery after the fall of Aiur the death of the old forum has not stagnated and in fact membership, posting, and new threads continue to grow. This is due in no small part to the fact that our forum is organized, tidy, and concise. Unless we take steps to keep it that way, it will end up just like the old forum did. We could benefit from a locked-down "Archive" board where threads of merit are moved after discussion has ended. This prevents unnecessary thread necromancy, provides a one-stop location for important, old discussions and references, and allows the next step to be beneficial. The next step, of course, being active pruning. None of our boards should progress past 5 pages. Important threads that are dead can be moved to archives, the rest of those threads should be pruned. Pruning does not lower a member's postcount so the people who place value in that wont be hurt, and it keeps the board tidy so potential registrants aren't overwhelmed and see a cluttered mess that's too big for them to carve out a niche.

4) We need to cloister the one-off questions. I've been seeing a lot of threads, mostly from a few particular members, that have no merit but are simply asking a question. A board dedicated to the quick asking and answering of questions outside of NOTD Discussion would alleviate the clutter caused by these threads. If a board is undesirable, then a simple stickied thread that is cleaned out after a question is answered would suffice. If a question thread is created, the user can be PMed of their error and the thread moved/merged into the proper location.

5) Revisit the idea of a Fan Fiction board. Every step we take to become closer to our members is a step in the right direction. By encouraging them to contribute to NOTD's lore, you create a more welcoming environment that people would like to join, and you open the possibility of having a fan fiction so good it merits becoming lore.
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

You've got to teach me how to prune too. It's a good way to reduce unnecessary clutter. I'm generally okay with a locked read-only Archive forum.

It's best not to have a separate forum to answer quick Qs. My recommendation is to test and improve the chat functionality of Vigil once it's live. That would connect the global NOTD player base and at least 1 Black Ops+ member should be online at any given time to answer Qs there. I don't know if it will work in theory, but it would be a cleaner way to manage quick Qs. Forums are better for longer, informed discussions/reviews/debates.

For the Fan Fiction board, I'm good for it as long as more people see a meaningful need for it.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

I'll make a poll about the Fan Fiction board. That one is on the fence.

As for the extra boards, would you prefer to keep the block layout we have or would you rather them divided into collapsible, thematic categories?
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Will prefer to have the Archive as a sub-forum inside NOTD Discussion.
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Added as you prefer. Posting, deleting, and editing is disabled for anyone not a moderator or administrator. That way no one can vandalize, change, or mar preserved threads.
  6. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Because I love the moderators, I've added an "Archive" moderation option that will instantly move selected threads to Archives. This saves you the step of having to choose the move destination.