Commando Starting Ability

Discussion in 'Class Discussion' started by spartanhija, Dec 15, 2012.

1. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

I had a few ideas on a starting ability for commando:

1. Reflex's-
    When commando receive's damage that breaks shields it gains +10% crit strike chance and +10% move speed (ms) for 2 seconds.

This is due to commandos many years on the battlefield and special forces need to be mobile.

Special Forces are different from normal infantry in several ways, including specialized training ( hence crit ) and the need to be self sufficient and act independently from the main force at times ( movespeed ).

2. Titan Flare-
    The commando moves swiftly to designate areas crucial to the main forces survival and objectives.

This flare acts as a typical road flare (to give team vision of important area such as objective or potentially his traps to be implemented for delta), but it also decreases enemy chance to hit (allies dodge) by 5% in target area (same as mobcons reflex's ability but for all allies in flare radius).

3. Relex's-
    When commando takes a hit (breaks shields) his adrenaline and gross motor skills kick in- 10-20% chance to dodge enemy attacks.
  2. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

1 and 3 encourage hits on a glass cannon, probably not a good idea. 2 is a bit too similar to both the recon's talent and the FO's innate.
  3. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I'll just pull two quotes from the BO board.

Not sure if Kith's stance has changed, but I'm assuming it hasn't.

I don't see why the Commando needs a starting ability at all.

In regards to 1: He isn't supposed to be taking hits, and it makes no sense that when he gets hurt, he suddenly preforms much better.

In regards to 2: Just use a road-flare. Or get your Recon to use Flare.

In regards to 3: The Commando isn't the Rocketeer pathfinder or Mobility Recon. He has no reason to have dodge, and the reasoning behind it is also strange because you could argue all classes would have the innate ability to dodge attacks to a certain degree.

There isn't any reason to make him even more powerful.
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

See... I consider those all, while some decent ideas in base, not good for a commando Innate.

Lets look at some innates. Like the Marksman rebuild coming up. Scope, giving Wallhack Vision and Forward Sight Cone. This is an excellent Innate, because both trees benefit from the talent, but in different ways. And not benefits in a vague "Well scope is a benefit" ways, but in a direct skill synergy way. It allows the SubMM to function in it's role as a scout/sniper by being able to see enemy ambushes and evade them as necessary, and boosts the AssassinMM's long range skills and ability to pick out priority targets.

Similarly the Rifleman's Focus Fire. It is good for the Combat Rifle as it boosts DPS by using it. It's good for the Survival Rifleman as it can also provide a cheap, efficient enemy slow, particularly with decent splash weapons.

The problem is, none of your innates there have that sort of synergy beyond "Commando is squishy so evasion would be nice". Nor is Combo Reload good because it only benefits one tree, Ops, with absolutely no effect on the Delta Commando. And since Ops and Delta are so fundamentally different, it'd be hard to find fertile ground between the two unless you went with something that would probably be horrendously broken like...

Hidden Reserves: (Passive)
    Whenever the Commando uses an ability which targets an enemy or buffs himself he has a 10% chance of instantly refreshing that skill.

Which would be insane. I dare you to think otherwise. And so luck based and fluky that it'd be even worse than when we had Double Talents. So I'm not seriously suggesting it. I'm just using it to point out the problem with coming up with a good commando passive.
  5. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Where is the "the commando needs no innate" poll option? That's the only one anyone should pick.
  6. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Ye, I don't think those skills would make a good innate for the commando unfortunately. Basically, Ramses and Arturia said why (1 and 3 encourages hits and 2 is similar to various other skills in notd).

Also, I think this thread suits being in the notd discussion board more or perhaps the class suggestions sub-forum.
  7. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Its not really to promote taking hits, but if it should arise getting 2 seconds to gtfo of the way of whatevers hitting you is what I was going for.
    Uh thanks for the feedback i guess.
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Techincally, Commando already has an innate, the Combo Reload, just that it is 1 tree only. That being said...

Commando is simply Mr. Glass DPS or Mr. Disable God, in both cases he is fragile and needs support. The arguably 2 most powerful classes in NotD are the Rifleman and the Engineer, both because they require literally no help from anyone to carry the game. Rifle has no major strengths but 0 real weaknesses. Engineer has only 1 massive drawback, he requires microing. But if you can micro... he is very very hard to kill. Neither lack tankablity, firepower, movespeed, inventory space (Engineer requiring basically none), with powerful skills that means that they can get away with barely firing their weapons.
  9. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Good points, thanks.
  10. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Wasn't Commando's innate skill being able to switch weapons 50% faster?
  11. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Yep.
    5char
  12. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

I saw it on the Commando page on the wiki and thought it was some outdated thing at first, but I tested it and there is definitely a faster weapon switch with the Commando.
  13. Lulz

Lulz Well-Known Member

yes.. commando has always had an innate, while most dont make use of it. Its can be seriously strong if used corrrectly (full charging your adren with fast weapons then switch to m45/barr) This innate is strong in itself if used right and i think it works fine with the commandos lore also. Every single class has an innate skill boys and girls, just because some are passive doesnt mean they dont exist.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Mando has the 50% swap speed innate, and will be changed to something less Ops-biased in NOTD2. However, for now, it remains as is.
  15. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

If I am not mistaken doesn't the Rifleman and Assault also have increased weapon switching speed on top of another innate?
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Rifleman does. Assault doesn't.
  17. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Kithrixx, for the commando, how about, innate reload time reduction by 50%, and for a gold reload, a damage boost for surg/adren combo? (Kind of like GoW perfect active reload.)
  18. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I don't know if I like the repercussions for that, in so far as it means the Commando is basically immune to Nitemare Mode's punishment on reloads. Sure a Rifleman can be as well, but they actually have to invest Talents to be so.
  19. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Just make perfect reloads give dmg boost and well be alright.
  20. squish

squish Well-Known Member

Innate MANUAL reload reduction of 50% then?