Changing Clicklings

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Am planning to change clicklings from click effect to a lower HP (but still higher than standard banelings), lower attack priority unit (will need to manually attack if many mobs are nearby). Any thoughts before we implement?

Rationale
    - Clicklings were originally added for fun but as the game matures, it makes more sense for the mobs to have a more sensible mechanic
    - Current Clicklings are abusable with click macros to easily handle
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I don't know but I quite like having to kill enemies by unconventional means.
    But people abusing it with macros is just sad.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

The idea of gimmick enemies that require a non-standard approach isn't a BAD thing. But just the specific implementation of something where Click Macros and Lag can be the major factors in it is the failing.

Particularly I worry how it will be effected as Clicklings generally come during heavy mob moments. They have what, 600 HP? Even cutting it down to 300 or something is basically adding extra Hulks (Who move faster and are decidedly more lethal in their way, while still being the Bullet Sponges) to the mobs could be.... bad.

I believe Kith and Nite said it before. Just making it so you don't select Clicklings when you click them might be the right fix to ruin a lot of complaints about them. (Though Macros are still an issue)

A middle ground solution might be to have it so that if they are the target of any Marine Talents they self Destruct. Flavorwise it's basically what you want for them. Mechanically I think most new players can get the point of "Oh, if you hit them with a special they die". Gives classes like Combat Riflemen or Telepathic Psi Ops something to do.

Just a thought.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Call them Saboteurs. Give them about three times as much health as a normal baneling, and have them burrow when attacked. After 3 seconds, unburrow, and then after taking damage again, burrow for 3 seconds. Make it the only enemy that has a charge outside of Nightmare, and have it regenerate rapidly when burrowed. The result is enemy that slowly gets closer to the team and will smash into them if they don't focus it down properly. Same basic micro requirement because the team has to reveal and focus down the Saboteur before it reaches charging distance, less silly mechanics.

No, I said to get rid of them. Blaqk was the one with the non-selection concept.
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

The HP on beastlings is too high currently.
    In Alpha NM 1800+SR you simply cannot avoid getting hit by them as they have 630HP and are quite hardy even when focussed.
    Means that DSM is even more difficult to gain there now than it used to be unless maybe the RA drops right at start for you.
  6. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Make them take 300% damage from magic/skill damage.
  7. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Not sure if this is possible, but you can reduce their hp and make them take 90% reduced (or no damage) from splash so that they have to be focused down by the marine. And reduce their threat priority so you have to manually click.
  8. Kage

Kage Member

Give beastlings increased hp and reduced damage but cause a drop in armor of afflicted units.Then give all zombies near the afflicted unit bonus movespeed.

This would make them less like a tankier baneling and ensure that players have to target them or else they risk getting overrun.
  9. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Call them adrenalings. High target priority, high HP. They will spawn in the middle of hordes, and upon explosion, all surrounding zombies and infested units will receive an adrenaline boost. Basically a stim. The units also respond less to pain so they can take more damage than usual.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

One suddenly unburrowing in the middle of a horde could end up completely fucking over players even more than a bane train unburrowing underneath the players. A horde (or even a mob) gaining stim on top of Nightmare Charge and potentially being on creep could turn an ordinary mob of zombies into an unkitable mass of semi-seekers, and God forbid the stim effect hit anything beefy.
  11. fox

fox New Member

Have to stun perfectly if that's the case...or even mono over team mates if really desperate...

Like the pun though
  12. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Maybe adrenaling v1 was too imba. Maybe instead of increasing its resistance to damage, the balancing effect will amplify the damage taken?
  13. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Shocklings: Disable your attack for 5 seconds or stun for 2 seconds when hit.[hr]
    imo types of banelings should do different types of disables: banes = damage, blinds = blinds you, others can cripple, stun, disable attack, cost you energy, etc.