Calling all WC3 NOTD:AM Players

Discussion in 'Night of the Dead: Aftermath' started by Razven, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Razven

Razven New Member

Hi guys, I'm trying to make a short list of things that Night of the Dead: Aftermath from Warcraft III did right, in terms of game-play, storyline, mission progression...etc. that was not implemented for whatever reasons into Starcraft II's NOTD map.

I currently have a list of my own but would like to hear some feedback from other players first.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Most of the beefs that I have are being worked on currently, such as putting more differentiation between the storylines. For instance, making Alpha Route A and Route B actually mean something in terms of difference.
  3. Lightning
    • Donator

Lightning Member

Engineers satchel clear caves side mission
    The story texts are much neater to read.
    Jumping zerglings
    Actual zombies... not just zerg units since 90% is zerg models..
    Interface for ranks , exp , scoreboard are positioned smaller hence more players can play without causing a mess for the eye.
    Side arms for heroes
    Missions and chapters are fun with a sense of randomness. Hidden chapter fuel the ambitions of vets pushing them to keep playing until they finally get to play it.
    Demolition actually have rockets.
    Class specific items for specific class, so other classes can't equip it.
    No revives or lives. However from personal experiences it might not be a good thing.
    Medals ribbons badges requirement are only know to the makers and testers make it more fun to earn.
    Items and skills actually have custom names and descriptions .
    The scale of everything seem smaller to the naked eye results in better terrain and overall size of the map.
  4. Rinsaki

Rinsaki New Member

Wasn't there something like a game could only have a maximum number amount of units like 8 rifles max, 2 navy corpsman max, 2 flamethrower a max, or was dead Undead Assault 2?
  5. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Requesting that this thread be moved to the NOTD Aftermath Subforum.
  6. 2HOTGLOCKS

2HOTGLOCKS New Member

Aftermath is extremely unforgiving, and that's what I love about it. Players have one life, died in one to five hits and have to be able to last around two hours to win. If you get hit once, it can completely change everything. You can straight up lose because you messed up and got smacked once, but every hit can be dodged by a skilled player. Only a specific few monsters are fast enough that their attacks are guaranteed to connect with a sprinting player (I can actually only recall two: Cerberus and Thanatos, both of which are bosses). When I saw that there is ranged damage in NOTD Starcraft, that there is damage that's unavoidable and intended to be tanked, I was really disappointed, and I knew I wasn't playing a game that was designed in the same spirit as AM. That's my main complaint about Special Ops as well.

Even though it's extremely easy to die in AM, each death is a learning experience, and even after playing the map hundreds of times there's still always some new piece of information to take away from every game that will make you a better player and help you get farther or even win your next game. Getting Lost Cause while playing Forward Observer is, for me, the most satisfying thing that could happen in Aftermath (it's up there with the most satisfying things in all of gaming for me). The pressure is insane-- your team has spent the past hour and a half fighting for their lives and will basically win or lose based almost solely on how well you understand the game mechanics. That's another thing, a skilled player of a given class can take on individual responsibilities that totally change the dynamic of the game: a good recon who could get rid of all the spores early on, a CE who can consistently close caves quickly, 133412 playing FO (free win)...

AM also seemed much more open ended, as opposed to the linear seeming progression of the Starcraft version (though my experience is pretty limited)
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Yeah. I agree. The pressure in :AM was massive, and it was always there. Unfortunately, that doesn't appeal to as wide of an audience as NOTD:SCII does.

The good news, however, is that I plan on working to make NOTD2 much closer to Aftermath in terms of progression and pressure.
  8. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • CN/TW Liaison

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

I remember how new players were always being yelled at for picking Rifleman and new Marksman were destroying convoy with monofilaments, for me, the most enjoyable moment was either the whole team manage to bring down that Havoc bear by using up every single fire mission shell, or managing to win chapter three 'Magnificent Bastards' by myself using MQ3 Predator when the whole team died at chapter two...
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Screw Havok. I hate that bastard.
  10. fb.slayer.2

fb.slayer.2 New Member

Dont know if anyone remebers me lol,but id like to get a game going for old times sake