C programming code

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zuriel, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

So, I'm supposed to learn/know this in college, but I can't seem to understand it nor know where to start learning. Can anyone offer any help?
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I failed at it myself, though I tried to learn it from books, not some fancy classes.

The one thing I did learn? That 90% of the time C++ is more power than you actually need to do what you want. Unless you have a need to fuck around on the machine code level it's not really worth using.
  3. Emperor

Emperor New Member

I imagine they'll teach it to you...
  4. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Yes, emp, they'll teach it. But I've been trying to read up on it and I'm like "What did I just read?"
  5. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

[​IMG]

Have you ever studied any other programming language at school? e.g Java
  6. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

@turkey nope. None whatsoever. Its like learning a new language I think. Shiz makes no sense to me at all.
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

C is a bitch, more trouble then its worth for the most part but alot of places seem to make it mandatory to be learned before C++ and such.

Here's a useful place for ya tho.. Just try not to mix up the C and C++

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/forum/15-c-and-c/
  8. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

To be honest, I think Java would be a good place to start. I felt the same last year when I started my first programming course. (It turned out to be Java Yay!). Like with any language, when you learn one, learning another b, Cisn't so difficult. Then again I am still nooB :p
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

First he learned HTML. Then he learned CSS. Next he was forced to learn PERL in the dark ages. Finally, he looked at Java.

Fuck Java and fuck C. This is what I want my programs to look like.

Code:
    10 INPUT "Do you drink coffee?", x
    20 IF x="no" THEN GOTO 30
    30 PRINT "Fuck you."
    40 END
  10. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

"Back to Basic" huh...
  11. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Lol @ basic.

Anyhow, C is one of the most powerful languages mainly because it gives the programmer all the control, nothing is hidden from you much. Its also incredibly simple langugage, the original K&R (Ken and Richie) C manual was like 30 pages long.

C is a procedural language, which means it does Step 1, then step 2, etc.

The main concepts you should learn first is how variables work (similar to algebra), how control works (IF Else, For, While, Do while), and arrays (how to store multiple variables of similar type)

The hardest part for any new coder is pointers, the vast majority of people who fail CS courses bomb on that subject alone.

As mirage pointed out, don't mix up C and C++. Although the syntax is similar, the capabilities are very different. Certain rules are different on how various mechanics work, plus C++ gives you object oriented programming stuff, which is usually overkill for most starting coders.
  12. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

I had to study C++ within my first year of studies within university. I dont know how i made it through the class cause I didn't reallly learn s*** at all and I dont know how I passed the finals seeing how it was a pass fail exam.

Anyways, I had to learn C for a class later on in my upper years and I found that a book by the name of Teach yourself C in 24 hours really helped me with it.

[​IMG]

Hope it helps.

(FINALS = F*** I NEVER ACTUALLY LEARNED S***).
  13. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Thanks Extifer. :)
  14. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

What is x == "No.", or if x == "Yes."?

I guess I don't share your hatred of programming languages, but that is more likely because I am only playing in one at the moment (JAVA).
  15. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

I was gonna try to be cute and make a long program about how if you say yes your computer gives you coffee then turns into Skynet but then I got lazy.
  16. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Laziness: Our greatest weapon against the Mad Scientist.

"I'm not a mad scientist! I'm just angry!"
  17. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

Np, if it helps I bought the first edition online on ebay for about a dollar I believe. I hope it helps you and if your planning on learning any other sort of programming, I shall say MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL......

I can never learn programming, its just one of those things where you have to sit down and really learn it thoroughly. Also, I can never imagine doing anything related to it for a living. This is why I have a lot of respects for programmers.