Bug list purging

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Niktos, May 4, 2013.

1. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

I'd like to dissagree with idea of clearing off list of bugs from starting posts together with the 70+ pages of replies.

Implementing the rule of 'you need to replicate/post screenshot' is good thing but will work only with regular cleaning of posts that not abide by that rule.
    The bugs stated in first posts were confirmed and tested to be real, sure some were not up to date as Ghost wasn't around and AP does his fixing as time passes.

I'd suggest getting Mirage to do a bit of database magic and restore contents of first posts from 'bug list v2' into 'bug list v3' while keeping all the replies in the void as they are now.
  2. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Was the old list not even archived? Because i cant find it with the search bar.

While i agree with Niktos, another problem i have with it is that i reported so many bugs that i just got used to when they were never fixed that i wont be able to report them again.
  3. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

Not a problem. I still have the list. Can take the screen shots and will practically restore the bug list. LOL GG WP
  4. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Personally I suggest we do something similar to player reports with bug reports. You had the same issue with both scenarios (the flooding of posts in one thread), so why not implement the same solution (make a new sub-forum for it).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Fix bugs threads can just be moved to a "fixed bugs" sub-forum in order to help keep track of what has been resolved and what has not.
  6. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

What would we do about bugs that... you really can't take screen-shots of because it occurs over a short interval of time, and as such, a screen-shot wouldn't capture its full effect or really explain much and you lack the software to make video's and as such can't make a .gif or a video of it, and replays would be useless because it is a very minor thing?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Scorpione

Also some bugs cannot be screen shotted. E.g. AC shop. How can I screen shot that? :D I'd have to make a video of it. Replays don't work and recording at decent quality is memory consuming.
    Also clearing major bugs wasn't needed. I understand clearing some non game effective bugs. Rest makes no sense. (I lost 150-200 messages on my count after that thread was cleaned LOL :D)
  8. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

That is one solution, but most other forums who use this method of bug reporting just allow the messages to die off in the same sub-forum while simply updating a sticky'd master list thread. The reason they do this that way is when people go to the "bug report" section, they can just scroll down/go back a page or two to see if it's been reported or not. The Brig we use for "legal" purposes and have it hidden to the general public, which is why we move those threads; not as much of an issue with bug reports.

Also, other players can simply reply saying "already known" or something without completely derailing the conversation from a previous bug report on the single thread method.
  9. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

That has been propesed several times and always put down, for some reason they prefer one big messy thread. ( cant remember why at the moment)
  10. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Yeah, I think I was the one to propose it last time. Maybe now that they're complaining about the messy thread they'll accept it (they did with the player reports, lol).
  11. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

actually i cant remember comlains about the player reports for that matter :)
  12. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

I think 90% of it was discussed in Mumble between Extifer, Mirage, and a few of the rest of us regulars on Mumble. Alternative solutions included things like having a "form" for reporting (discarded because of the possibility of multiple reports of the same thing).
  13. Scorpione

Main issue was that this was another pre mature decision. Just like the shield change.
  14. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

With the shield issue, there was atleast a discussion started (even though it couldnt finish before it was implemented). This was not even mentioned before.
  15. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Well it was an online operations thing that only affected the way staff processed the information. The only effect it had on players/users was HOW they gave the information, so it really didn't need to be discussed by the rest of the world. Also, I believe it was discussed before you became a warden (I could be wrong), but otherwise most of the staff were in agreement (to my understanding).
  16. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

Im the EU warden for 2 month now and was a BO for a long time before that, if there was a discussion it was not on the forum. And i asummed Scrop meant the bug list "purge", not the player reporting change.
  17. Scorpione

that is what I meant yes.
    I couldn't care less how bugs are reported or the "requirements" bug is a bug. Either accept how I present it or enjoy your bugs and me abusing them.
  18. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem in changing how the bugs are reported as well, what highly annoyed me with old method was people just throwing something like 'ml is bugged fix plox' without saying a word of explanation.
    For bug that can't be screened it should be just an info on what to do for it to occur [remember self propeling infinite venom of faith+chem aura?].

And some rules like this should be there, screenshot/explain/or gtfo with fairytales. This whole thing is not about it anyway after clearing of buglist it seems like we are in wonderfull world where everything is cool. There was a bunch of problems that we got used to and now don't even see as bug like double hit of garg, like mobs spawning in locations they can't go out of, like items spawning in unreachable places (it is mostly fixed tho)
  19. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Well I have no idea where the hell the bug list purge came from, but I get the feeling that either shooz just saw a problem and immediately took action (commendable, but can lead to issues some times), or it was discussed by staff on Skype or something.
  20. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

We've adopted a new procedure in how bugs are cataloged, tested, fixed, and reported.

The old bug list will not be restored. I will also be keeping the bug list cleaned up as much as possible. Once bugs are reported, if I need more information before it's added, I'll ask. Once we have adequate information on the bug reported, we'll test it. After it's been tested and confirmed, it'll be added to the list. From the list whoever is working on a bug can take the information given and use it to start work on getting it fixed. After it's been fixed, the bug will be reported fixed here.

Please do not try to bring back the old list. I don't care about your post counts. I do care that you take the time to understand why a large move like this would happen. Bugs are being reported constantly. Without proper process of receiving and processing of these bug reports, nothing will ever get fixed because there will be a very messy pile of work being done here and there.

With the way things are now, organized, systematic, we can guarantee you that the bugs being fixed are real bugs, not fake ones that someone "thought was a bug, oh lol". That means that, all of our time spent fixing bugs is spent fixing confirmed problems. We're always trying to make things better. Change is not easy and sometimes it's not fun but, we're doing our best to make NOTD better for everyone. The community is undergoing a lot of change recently and we're sorry that it's causing you guys so much heartache but, I promise the changes will cool down soon and everyone can enjoy a more fun, involved, and smooth NOTD. :)
    • Like Like x 1