Bronze star

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Annihilate, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Annihilate

Annihilate New Member

Bronze Medal will now only be awarded if your Pet survives a victorious game
    Cloak was removed in favor for a different skill.

These two changes that occurred at the same time makes me think that

1) People are going to suicide earlier so that their predator is a higher level earlier on to survive better to earn the medal, instead of trying your best after you die.

2) That removing cloak destroyed any possibility of teamwork. Now the predator is truly a selfish, rambo unit that is free to do whatever he wants since everything he gets from leveling now only benefits himself. There is no longer any incentive to stay with the team.

I know that I'm not a developer nor do a specialize in balance and don't know about anyone else, but these changes for the predator/bronze star requirements makes me really really sad :(
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well, I see no reason not to have "Survive until the end". I haven't seen a Predator played that does anything like diving on the proverbial grenade to save his squad.

But it was about the Cloaking Field just being so much of a game breaker. Such at least was the discussion in the Black Ops Forum about it. And that Predators could easily achieve the cloaking field by doing nothing but AFK following some guy. And that was something The Man never liked apparently. A permanent Escape is pretty damned OP as we all know (Even if we won't admit it).
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

1 was added to discourage farming in small man, or "pub-nms." Currently two-three players can just rotate dying in nightmare easy co and all farm level 3 in about an hour.

2 however I have no idea, nor was it fully discussed.
  4. poor_newb

poor_newb Member

cloaking field IS overpowered, it's been said that pred is better at being mob recon than the mob recon
  5. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Mostly the pred of a player who died pre-tart can reach lvl 7 in time to save teams collective asses from the muta rush. Alternatively, because this match has most likely gone south, it also makes escaping through the queens hordes enormously easier. These are the only 2 reasons why you should ever want the cloak field, and these two scenarios only occur in public matches.

That being said, yes, the cloak is overpowered. Now, if it was a toggle, or a weaker version of escape (smaller radius, less duration, ect ect) I would be fine with that.
  6. CHENZ

CHENZ New Member

bronze to be awarded when the game is victorious, that I can understand.

but the requirement for it to be alive just kills any incentive to use it if you die post-ere or something. I expect to see a lot more of die-quitting with these new changes.
  7. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

Really? honestly? X player Die. X player wants to be a dumb cat. If X player live, X player still gets half the xp earn for the game .

X player is a noob. Any rewards should been forfeit. X player helps team because he should. If X player can't even do something so simple X player should just stay in kitty land.
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Honestly I see most people leave when they turn into a Predator anyway, even before the change. So I don't see it being an impact.
  9. Emperor

Emperor New Member

So... What was cloak replaced with?

I like how they added HBS already. Might as well call it Recon cat. Or Recat.
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

I advocated these changes, and I'm well documented as someone who loves facetanking everything as his Moon Pet.

It is as Diode said. The purpose of the Moon Pets is so that you can continue to aid your team, even in death. This can be achieved without the need for an overpowered cloak field and the changes made will increase their overall survivability, even in the late game. I have never had an issue getting to 50 kills, even if I died during Black Ops, and that is as it should be. If you lack the micro skills to earn Bronze Star, then you don't deserve Bronze Star. Plain and simple.

Zander, I can't understand a word of what you posted. This is a message board, not a chat room. Please adhere to proper sentence structure for the sake of everyone understanding your message.
  11. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

12. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

I believe he was referring to why people suicide at the start, rather than why the changes occur.
  13. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Oh good, English translations. Love you. <3

[hr]

Anyway, I may have come off harsh, but I meant it. I've grown weary of seeing this community bark and moan at changes ranging from trivial to revolutionary. I scarcely recall the last time I heard any of you praise the devs for even bringing this project to life. If you want them to continue development and if you want them to stay on a path that benefits NOTD, try some damn encouragement for once instead of spewing redundant drivel about how changes are "gay".
  14. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

After two years of Diode you start to figure this stuff out.
  15. ProbeGst

ProbeGst Well-Known Member

i like pred because of cloak. now a leaver pet is used for:
    1. surveilence recoon.(for reveal)
    2. detection
    3. anti-air
    4. taking hits for silver stars.
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

It's supplemental DPS and a meatshield. Way goddamn better than a cloak generator.
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Don't be dense. It was used for all of that before. In addition, I don't know what your message is. You made a fine list, but your words are hollow. Are you advocating that a pet is more useful now or are you suggesting that it was better before. Please provide substance to your posts in a discussion.
  18. SirGalahad

SirGalahad New Member

i know this is a touch off-topic, but part of the reason that people post on the forum to "bark and moan at changes" is that these changes are sudden, unexplained, and often unlisted. i am aware that many of the changes are discussed in the hidden black ops forum, and that is fine, but the fact remains that after these changes are implemented there is zero public explanation for them. which leaves surprised players with no other recourse but to post in these forums about said changes. some of these posts are not constructive, i agree, but, building upon a somewhat recent precedent involving worm spawns, it would greatly help if after moderate gameplay/balance changes are made that the discussion be moved to the regular open forum. or, if that is not acceptable, at least put a moderator or black ops member in charge of making a more detailed and accurate changelog. something along the lines of:

- Revised pet levelling abilities. cloak has been removed. pet now gains longbolts, c6, radar, and blink starting at level 7 (i don't actually know the correct details of this change, having not yet played new pred. but you get the idea)

if the documentation is there, people will be less likely to post things like "omg cloak is gone, that's so gay" and more likely (i hope) to post constructively like "hm earlier longbolts could be really useful for ec air wave" or "wow i wonder how the new blink works".
  19. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

I'll agree that communication is lacking, but simply informing someone of a change they don't like isn't going to make them like it.
  20. Clown
    • Donator

Clown Well-Known Member

It's a step though. Look at the current change log. It's one constantly edited post with no dates, incomplete data, and some older changes still on it.

Change logs should note what changed in that patch not what changed 2 or 3 patches ago. Look at Blizzard's change log when they update Battle.net... its clear and concise - and you can go back and view the previous changes all the way back to the start.

What should not be done is this. Someone complained about the hold fire mechanics behing changed from xf/xg to xf/xf - not because the change was bad or anything but because it was undocumented. A patch or two later, the hold fire mechanics were changed back - but the change was still undocumented. Or maybe I missed that notation amidst the massive, half outdated list that is currently the change log.

Instead of altering the hold fire mechanic again, which was fine either way, just fix the process of documentation - or lackthereof.

And I like this map. It's fun. This is called constructive criticism, which people do when they care about something.