Bringing back Erebos' "Red Mode" with new mechanic

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Many moons ago, Erebos had three modes.
    1. Green Mode (same as it is now)
    2. Red Mode (close range bane spawn)
    3. Blue Mode (bane spawn at range)

We removed Red and Blue mode because it was hard to see what mode he was in (he literally changed colors, but a few seconds too late) and because it was troll-killing everyone's DSM.

That said, Erebos in his current incarnation is dumb. Turbodumb. Blind needs to go and it needs to be replaced by a mechanic that involves actual skill and attentiveness, not "Do you have flares? Then drop flares."

Reasons why blind is turbodumb:
    1. Mobcon cannot scout during a battle where his effectiveness is negated by road flares
    2. If team doesn't have road flares or a recon, it's basically game over

That said, let's bring back Red Mode with a new mechanic that's more to Erebos' style:

Erebos' Red Form

While Red, damage dealt to Erebos will be returned to attacker. 25% Recruit/50% Normal/100% Nightmare.

In addition to being a much more exciting and skill-based mechanic than "I R BLIND HALP", it really forces attentiveness and teaches new players to check boss mechanics. If you're a Commando with full Adrenaline, Surgical Strike, HE ammo, and a Flamethrower then you sure as hell better be paying attention. Alternatively, I want to be there the day someone OSOK's Red Erebos.

Erebos would rotate between green and red forms in addition to his other abilities, and would no longer globally blind players.
    • Like Like x 1
    • I'll drink to that! I'll drink to that! x 1
  2. squish

squish Well-Known Member

I like this post. This is a nice fucking post. Let's do it.
  3. Ar0uz3d

Ar0uz3d Member

Like green mode, will there be brackets put around Erebos?
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Yes! I'll make sure there's plenty of visual indication as to what is going to happen to you. We actually might be able to recolor his indicator on the minimap, as well.
  5. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Best. Post. Ever.

Will Erebos' model change at all during these modes?
  6. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

I would like to bring back the physical color change, yes.
  7. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

May I suggest a gradual change instead of an instant change? Erebos has a lot of life. Players don't. Also would be cool if erebos took increased damage during red, but I suppose ultimately pointless.

After immediately changing color (all forms):
    1s = 6.25%
    2s = 12.5%
    3s = 25%
    4s = 50%
    5s = 100%

Personally I didn't mind the old red erebos. Blue erebos was actually exciting too, but was the major source of the DSM killer. Not that sad to see blue go.

Blue Erebos can be super fast?
  8. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Just like the current green mode, a message will pop up indicating the color change long before the change happens. If you hurt yourself, it's entirely your fault.
  9. Commlink
    • Development Team
    • Modeler

Commlink Programmer/Asset Designer

Depending on the model used you could completely swap textures on him to change during modes so you could see the changes very easily, the textures would be a 5 minute job. I would leave you to integrate them. If your interested let me know and i'll need the model being used etc.
  10. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Agree - sounds good. Will give the mode change a 2 second transition (on top of the warning message that already appears). During transition, Erebos has no effect. Am also fine to increase Erebos' HP because it's a bit of a pushover now.
  11. squish

squish Well-Known Member

A bit of a pushover? Where the hell have you been? Erebos has been a pushover ever since the color changes were implemented in the first damn place.
  12. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Uhm, if you mean before color changes, that means the fucking stupid invisble blood splatters that was Erebos' shtick before he became a walking traffic light? Yeah no, he wasn't difficult then, just a chock full of even more BS.
  13. TheWolf
    • Donator

TheWolf Surgeon of Death

You should also consider that he is in hte easiest of storylines that requires 0 xp. so dont boost him too much hpwise, at least not in recruit.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

25%/50%/100% is way too high. 10%/40%/90% is less spooky while still being threatening.
  15. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

So will blind be removed? Or will it still be kept.
  16. ComradeHX

ComradeHX Well-Known Member

Does red mode mean damage will simply be redirected onto player or will Erebos still take that damage?
  17. ChuckWing

ChuckWing Member

Cheers to the 1st amm and ops mando who don't get the message in time.
  18. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Would it affect abilities too? Because I think an amm with 1000 points of over kill would be hilarious.
  19. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

I'm suggesting a 5 second transition with reduced effect vs Ability's 2 second transition with no effect.
  20. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

It wouldn't last long enough to merit a transition. The bottom line is "pay attention and you wont get hurt".

As for the damage percentages, they're fine as is. Recruit mode M45 would deal 18 damage to the player. New players as Rifleman or Assault, if they're even using the M45 like the game suggests to them, have 200+ health. They've got room to shoot themselves over 10 times before dying, and hopefully when they start taking damage they get the message. If not then it's natural selection at work.