Boot Camp

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by spartanhija, Jun 2, 2012.

1. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Instead of creating a whole new "Boot Camp" mode why not re-vamp -em (easy mode) ? It seems like a huge chunk of the problem with undertaking the boot camp was storyline. Revamping -em mode and auto-starting it for players under 500 xp ( and raising vet mode to say 1k xp?) Seem's like it will give whoevers creating storyline more time to create, and give new players a chance to live past tart. I see it all the time, vets are going through the motions , first hex's, starport, airlock civs, cams,mines... Etc and the noobs are just trying to tag along often getting seperated and raped. Alot of them barley have micro exp, and rarley can survive to queen. Why not promote this bootcamp or -em when the game starts if there is a supernoob have it as a popup for whoever is choosing gametype, if they choose em or bootcamp give them a small bonus for helping noobs (idk +1 rating, or +3 creds depending on rank/xp, +1 karma??) Something to let everyone know there is a noob in the room, and at least up until eros 1 death, guide the newbs somehow, maybe just give them shared vision with vet players or team, maybe give them something similar to safeguard (up to a certain game time) as a newbie help. Idk i see a lot of new players but it seems like they lose interest maybe from waiting in lobby for 20 min, loading for another 10 then dying in 2?
    [hr]
    Also, it seems like ec has been made harder and harder, which is cool for vets, but of course discourages new ppl. I think keeping ec semi easy-medium difficulty (excluding nm,or hardened+) should help everyone have more fun and stay addicted. Ec has much (1/3 xp rewards as alpha ) less rewards so should be less challanging. Now other game modes have more wider array of enemies but difficulty is about the same other than more bosses. Great game btw
  2. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

The reason a boot camp is being added, is because in the upcoming 1.5 patch for Starcraft 2, each custom map will have its own dedicated area, with a place for posting patch notes/changelogs, description of the game, a dedicated chat channel, and finally, a dedicated tutorial. The boot camp that is being brainstormed, will be that tutorial. Noobs will be able to click on NotD, then click on tutorial and get a walk through of all the main game mechanics. Consequently, the only thing that noobs will have to figure out once they step into recruit is learning the story, the pacing of the game and how various routes are done, instead of wondering wtf is going on, how do I get more ammo, how do I get healed, etc.
  3. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

..Thanks Cpt. Obvious :p
  4. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Arcane's answer says it well. Also, having a separate map allows us to create a more tutorial focused environment that can let new players test at their own pace. It also removes the load of additional tutorial content from the main map. Hope this helps.
  5. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Thx guys. So 3 months till its up and running?
    [hr]
    Wait a sec, is the tutorial ganna be like a playable demo or a cinematic rundown?
  6. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

That's a target. It's going to be a relatively simple and functional focused one. Mainly driving some key lessons / survival techniques.
  7. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Ideally a playable one. Active Tutorials which make a player develop skills in order to pass objective markers tend to work better for bringing people up to speed than just watching a video and reading some dialogue.
  8. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

SWEET. <3 thx guys ive got a skip in my step
  9. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

I did have one other question, in the bootcamp mode will we be able to earn a few xp and creds? I realize its not the point of the boot, but just a q.
  10. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

define "Few"
  11. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

... A few is a few , if you dont even know the answer please dont comment. Trying to get info here not opinions.
  12. Ryan III

your defination of few is needed for my answer, but if few is what i think it is i think i should be alowed, like 5 xp per game or even 3 xp, so people dont grind boot camp and them play notd and die horribly.
  13. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Lol thats an opinion. But i have to agree with u. Well if its a tutorial it should be somewhat shorter than the actual kission, as well as a reduced amt of rewards due to easy difficulty. Idk if 3-5xp or creds should be the amt but i do agree it should be low. And we both just gave opinions which i was trying o avoid lol.
    [hr]
    Kission=mission
    [hr]
    For real though how did u get 4 stars? U troll with nuke
  14. Ryan III

Most ideas for NotD start out as opinions.

Now for something on topic:

The reason I chose 3-5 is because you dont want to give 10-20 xp for it so by the time they get 100xp they only trained off boot camp and have no idea about the full game, not to mention that recon is the most rambo-and-not-die class.

Edit: The answer to your 4 star question is that I've been here posting a while and I'm a senior member.
  15. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Lol cool. Its kinda funny theres several ppl it seems i see more on here than i do online.
    [hr]
    Meaning activley playing.
  16. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

Well the new patch is out is bootcamp ganna be comin soon or still some time from now? Just wondering because someone said boot will come when patch comes?
  17. Nebibubi

Nebibubi New Member

I think it will take a few more weeks If I recall the first page of the Topic.
    Then again I'm just quoting Ability and giving my opinion (if your permit me ^^).
  18. spartanhija

spartanhija Member

lol permit?
    [hr]
    thx for the info though