Black Ops section and problem of community opinion of it.

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Niktos, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

In his own defense, Kith did kind of bring up the fact that he was supposedly blaze... kinda going off topic. All he did was defend himself...

EDIT: What... ninja posts and deletions... stop playing mind games ._."
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Except that the Black Ops decision making isn't law, and shouldn't be law. This shield change fiasco is an exception to the rule - a mistake was made, procedure wasn't followed, and that's why there's a problem. Black Ops' existence has never been a problem before, and it certainly isn't a problem now - a single mistake does not condemn every good thing that Black Ops has ever done.
  3. Niktos

Niktos Well-Known Member

Just here to say that i got no opinion on shield case yet, and this topic is in regard of how fake asking for opinion on launch feels. Also to throw in a light as of why BO could be better if 'what in bo, remains in bo' rule was to be implemented.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Asking for opinions on launch is never fake. At least, not for me. The Recon rework, for instance, was changed pretty significantly after several members (specifically Lulz, with excellent insight) weighed in on the changes.

And the shields thing isn't fake asking for opinions, either. We really want your opinions, otherwise we wouldn't take the time to move things from BO to Disc.
  5. Ginger Gerald

Ginger Gerald Well-Known Member

Just to make sure, we're talking about The Recon Rework that hasn't happened yet...right?
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Yes, the Recon Rework that was pre-approved. While obviously not the same as actually launching, it is fairly similar.
  7. MissHumpz
    • Event Coordinator
    • Community Leader

MissHumpz NOTD Staff: Event Coordinator & Amazing Amazer

Okies so the Black Ops have been around for a long time now, its not a recent development. It consists of people who are frequent players of NOTD, however, as time goes by, many become inactive due to other influencing factors.

The Black Ops, which consists of the NOTD developing team, are very welcoming of different views, opinions and perspectives, and avoid falling victim to Cyberbalkanization (yes that's a real word, look it up). Developers have had issues with being targeted by flamers so the Black Ops forum is a more mature and respectful place to have intelligent discussions without abusive or pointless "that's gay" responses. They throw ideas out there, Black Ops assists them with trying to iron it out, and then most of the time it is presented in a neat little package to the general public eye for additional feedback.

The benefits of the BO forums are:
    - Less public spam
    - More educated responses
    - Early access to important news and discussions

I for one, would love to see additional fresh new voices in the Black Ops forums to open up discussions more.
    NOTD Black Ops needs new active members who are frequent players and preferably aren't going to disappear any time, or who don't constantly mention what NOTD 'used' to be like, and feel the need to frequently bring up how different it was 1 or 2 years ago. But more of what it has developed into now, and what can be done to help move it forward.
  8. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

We try to keep Black Ops relevant and are clearing out non-active members and adding those that should be there - we last did this end-2012 with Ghost. Please PM Kith if you believe you can contribute to it.

Black Ops is not a place for Veterans or High XP. It's a place for people with strong opinions who know the game well, a critical mind and maturity to drive a discussion. That can be anyone.
  9. Lulz

Lulz Well-Known Member

This thread makes me just laugh a bit on the inside. Simply because back when nobody cared and everybody liked the black ops I was the only one who opposed it.

im about 900% sure i have said almost the exact same thing as this multiple times in this forum in threads that have long since died and not once did a get any support from a single other community member.

Then again im aware my posts on the forum typically come off as blunt and undiplomatic (aka assholeish) so that probably has something to do with it.

Now to get to the adding insight part of this rambling post.

First of all i would like to say I think the bo section is not the worst idea and whatever mistake was made that started this should without a doubt be forgiven. The problem lies with how it functions, I don't know how it is now but it used to be a seemingly prestige spot for old vets, which is wrong because old vets typically means that they have been there done that and are not as active with the game. In a game like notd thats huge because stuff changes (patches, game strategy, etc.) on almost a weekly basis. Another problem I had with the bo was the people that were allowed in it, while you say one thing that they are well versed and students of the game, some of the additions were very far from it. There were quite a few black ops members whom didn't understand the game strategy and were only good players because

A. they were playing only with people who did understand game strategy and they didn't have to do any thinking of there own.
    or
    B. They played the game so many god dam times that they just went and did what has always worked.

My suggestion would be as it looks like your weeding out old members be much more selective (as selective as is advertised but not acted upon) and cut down the amount of members drastically. 8-15 active memebers would be a great team as long as there diverse, not afraid to say no to something, and actually care what happens to the game. Which was not always the case in the past.

aka basically add less "Yes" men/women
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Yeah, that's what's happening. We're going to be kicking out all of the inactive members here shortly.
  11. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

I don't see the point in kicking out inactive members.
  12. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

At this point with the change its less of kicking them out, and more just not re-adding them back to the group.
  13. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Does a Black Ops section still exist? Don't see it...

Lol, perhaps Mods ain't got the permission set to view it. o_O (<- Oh please oh please, more of these smilies if you can)
  14. Mirage
    • Donator

Ah... I did happen to separate that :p

Additionally, if you give me the smilies images that are of reasonable size and the shortcut text to them, let me know and maybe I can add them :p
  15. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

Seems like this thread is unlocked. Well, as time passes, new info also became available.

I'll just put it out straight forward with no lube. One of the reason why many active players on NOTD doesn't like to involve themselves on the forum is because they were at one time involved, however due to some of the elitist mentality that exists with few members, their opinions were either shot down to the shitter or ignored. From that point on, why would anyone bother themselves with the forum when they know better its a waste of time?

You can argue otherwise, but I've know far more people that agrees with me.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

Grow thicker skin. I used to hate posting ideas and expected that when I gave even just input on someone's proposal, I would get shot down right away with extreme prejudice and it left me feeling dejected. It still happens fairly often to me, but these days it's minus the 'mah feelings hurtz!!! QQ' part.

The same can happen anywhere really. That's just how life goes especially when dealing with establishments/etc. and unless you're willing to stick to your guns, you will achieve nothing IRL or otherwise.

It may seem crude and callous but "Learn to roll with the punches or stay down". So yeah, no lube right back at ya bro. Congrats on serving your ban's duration btw and welcome back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mirage
    • Donator

Vex I think you're a little bias in that a lot of people dislike you.

Additionally a few days ago Kith got shot down by Ability on something, and he delt with it fine, you can't handle criticism you shouldn't be trying to give input.
  18. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

Just because an idea is great and fully elaborated doesn't mean that it will be put in. It could just be because the owner wants the game to go towards direction A instead of B. There might be people that agree with you, but if they got involved posted 1 thing and got denied then ALT+f4 that's their problem. Do this in other forums such as dota, lol, sc2, wow, cod and so on see what happens.
  19. vexxenon

vexxenon Well-Known Member

This is more towards the elitist mentality of few members on the forum as oppose to ideas getting shot down. Why else do you think I bother to post under bugs/suggestions.

If you think I'm a little biased, think again when there is someone on forum uses someone else username to give me -10 rating on the last board. How do you explain that?
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  20. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

You currently aren't under bugs/suggestion.
    I get shot down. Sometimes I get +1 many times and nothing is done. Do I care? No. Do I cry about it? No. People most of the time aren't even doing an elitist mentality, is just that alot of players before posting something do not look at specific details. If you present an idea, you haven't covered every aspect, be ready to be questioned and provide some sort of defense. (example)You just say: "demeter is too hard" or "give me something more for my predator"... Say why what when how atleast. Most likely "elitists" will have an opinion about it due to experience. If they don't, they wont even comment.

I explain that as there are more people that hate you, that like you and when you do 1 thing tho show you're an "ass" to anyone on here they are ready to jump at you and use that as an excuse. Why even care about forum rating? lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.