Under Review Black Ops Mode

Discussion in 'NOTD 2 Discussion' started by Kith, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

One of the things that I had cooked up for NOTD2 was an alternate storyline, one that features different characters, objectives, morality, and rewards.

Black Ops Mode

Black Ops Mode puts the players in the shoes of a Black Ops strike team rather than UGC Marines. The basic idea is that they're being sent to clean out the area of evidence (and potentially witnesses) while the higher-ups slowly cook the place with some sort of anti-biological field, which is designed to slowly shut down mental functions until complete brain death is achieved (which can very easily emanate from the Compliance Nexuses, if we're still using those). The only Infested that the players will face are the extremely hardy kind, and they will also encounter mechanical units (which are unaffected by the mental shutdown).

During the match, the players slowly "leak" experience. Starting out at level 11, the players lose their level progression by certain time earmarks by reversing the order that they chose their talents, beginning at enough talent points to max out a tree and making the inevitable march towards Level 0 and death. Games will become frantic races against time, pushing players to complete objectives as quickly and efficiently as possible to retain class abilities throughout bossfights and holdouts. It might even be possible to survive and be extracted and gain massive rewards, but this would require a specific (and difficult to obtain) sequence of events.

The idea behind all of this is bringing back "Speed" in a new and interesting way, while also allowing the players a different way to look at the game through the eyes of the BO, who posses a different moral code and rank structure from the UGC. It will also be a significant challenge, as players will be required to combat "final boss" level enemies without a large amount of the power that they're used to having by that point. Higher-tier classes that gain most of their ability power early (such as the Commando) will be borderline required and special equipment will be a must to bolster the team's lack of ability power.

Nightmare Black Ops will be the ultimate challenge of player skill, as players will have to rely on their own micro rather than reaching a point where the character's abilities propel them to victory. I also intend to grant unique rewards for the various levels of completion for NM BO, such as pet skins or emblems (which will be outlined in the "rewards" thread that I will be making eventually).

All the concept needs now is a stamp of approval, so I leave it to you guys.
  2. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Isn't the Black Ops force strangely uniform units that bum rush?

I understand that making an entirely new class just for one mode would be stupid, but would it perhaps be possible to make a unique hero for this game mode? (I assume it would be like a storyline)
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'm for it. It's interesting and something we discussed way back in the old forum as an idea. This would be something unlocked for veteran players, and will help Arc and I flesh out the story further too.
  4. Extifer
    • Warden
    • Donator

Extifer Stiffy is what Lyanden calls me.

I always wanted to throw the idea of a black ops mode out there because it gives an idea of what the black ops are really like and what they are really trying to do. This is because I think the general population of NOTD players believe they are "bad guys" since most player dont take much notice to the storyline of NOTD and only know that we have to kill them in EC storyline, follow them in Alpha Company storyline (correct me if I'm wrong),and have them wipe us out in the Apollo secondary storyline.

As for the whole game play idea, I definitely support the whole idea of being at a high level initially within the game and then gradually having your experience and talent degrade and lose over time respectively. Afterall, it does add a twist to NOTD and would make the game more enjoyable and challenging in my opinion. It's definitely a twist in element for the whole action RPG genre in general (which NOTD is kind of), where most action rpg games are either:

- you are super powerful at beginning and suddenly lose your powers and hence must work way back up . (God of War series)

- You are weak intially and grow stronger over time. (Diablo series)

One thing I believe that this mode will emphasize more than any of the other modes is team work. Personally to me, I believe team work is the most important aspect in NOTD and is why NOTD is enjoyable. With this mode, it will teach player to communicate and cooperate better among one and another.

Now, last thing I would like to say is I would like to throw an idea out there that can be added to this mode, which is a final timer event that occurs late game. An example would be blowing up reactors for Apollo A route.

The whole idea behind this is that its offers a "Double jeopordy Scenario" or a Out of the frying pan and into the fire idiom. This is because late in game not only are you and your team mates weak as hell, but now you must fight your way through powerful enemies trying to reach a location by a certain time or you lose. So you'll either lose by being over runned by enemies since you are weak or not making it to a set point by time x.

I see this idea as offering a more "edge of the seat thrill" then what we currently have in NOTD which is boss battle and hold out thrills.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The idea behind it is that the team consists of "Black Ops" versions of the standard player classes, probably with custom textures and/or attachments to emphasize this point. However, the players will retain access to the standard movesets and abilities, and the difference will be purely visual.

The objectives will be largely set around destruction of evidence and/or the suppression of witnesses, so yes, I absolutely expect one of the missions involving rigging the area in question to explode as a last resort, especially if the players lose too many members of the team and not enough objectives have been completed.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

So I did a little concept refinement of this while I was speaking with Hades on Starcraft II. The normal storyline will feature branching paths and other fun things, but Black Ops mode will involve shoving the players into the game with a list of objectives to complete and allow them to complete the objectives in any order. While the normal storyline branches from a single seed and evolves as the players complete objectives, Black Ops mode will be more open and "MMO-esque", featuring roaming bosses and enemies rather than staged fights or horde events (although attempting to complete objectives will attract enemies and bosses).
  7. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Nice, that is a good idea. Makes it less linear so that there is more room for error by the group.
  8. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

If you do go foward with this mode you may want to consider changing the name of the Black Ops forum group. You don't want to imply that you guys are doing bad things behind closed doors.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I can guarantee you that nobody will care.
    • Rainbow Sticker Rainbow Sticker x 1
  10. nex_

nex_ Member

You wanted to reduce skill advantage to ... item use / mouvement requirement ?
  11. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Something like that. I want to cater to the (rather large) portion of the community that has focused on excessive planning and route memorization due to their obsession with the Speed bonus, partially because it's not necessarily a bad thing and partially because I'm taking away the Speed bonus for regular gameplay.
  12. nex_

nex_ Member

Well with A/B route there wont be such a thing.

Well as long as the mm got mono at the end that can be done :D
  13. ImaDomo
    • Donator

ImaDomo Clad In Armour

Well I'm all fire up for this mode, so if team doesn't pick what talents to lose during the certain time marks or stamps, will the game be stop? Or time just keeps going on but objectives can't be trig or its gg?
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

What the players do with their talent points is up to them. If they don't spend them, they will remain unspent.
  15. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

Would unspent talent points still be deducted with everyone else?
  16. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Unspent talent points would be deducted first.
  17. ozzy

ozzy Member

will the hardest boss be at the end when the team has the least damage