Best classes for a 5 man ec nm run

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Thermidor, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Hi ppl,

So I was in a 6 man ec nm game where we all died and we had to rmk. One person had to leave and no one else was available. So we were in the lobby thinking about what classes should we go if we were going to do a 5 man run. We weren't too sure on what to go on. In the end, we went assa tank, nukemando, submando, FA medic and rifleman (combat I think). We got to mine site epsilon before we remade because a 6th person was available.

But what I want to know: What do you think is the best class (and tree) setup is in a 5 man ec nm situation and why do you think it's the best.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Asstank - Self explanatory, damn near required.
    Opsmando - Nukes for mob control and getting rid of those fucking worms.
    FA Med - Keeping the first two alive.

After that, the fourth and fifth slots are really up to everyone else. I wouldn't suggest Submando, though, partially because it's vastly inferior to Ops and also because it's going away soon.
  3. Thermidor

Survcon and some other dps good for 4th and 5th?
  4. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

What Kith said. However the fourth I would pick Field Engineer (Even though I despise playing them myself, I recognize their value). Fifth is something of an open spot. Marksman can be a good choice. I love having a good SurvCon on the team. I'd prefer an Arms Assault over a Combat Rifleman if you want pure DPS for the fifth slot.
  5. poor_newb

poor_newb Member

1. asstank
    2. nuke commando
    3. fa medic
    4. trapper rifle/mob recon
    5. engy (slasher army)
  6. Thermidor

This could be considered slighly off-topic but these 2 I've neer seen in an ec nm game in EU and I don't know why.
  7. SkullCapp

SkullCapp Well-Known Member

All random! Kidding. ALL asstank! Kidding again!

This below:

1. Asstank for tanking.
    2. Nukemando for worms, mob control, and dome d.
    3. FA Medic to keep team alive.
    4. Fortmo for secondary tanking and to keep mob at bay while asstank tanking such as during Eos.
    5. SS recon for SS, Flare, LD, HBS, and Reaper(to scout and pick up items)
  8. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Server differences Therm. Most NA teams will consider Mobility Recon equal to, or superior to a Surveillance Recon in Easy Company. And consider Survival Rifles mandatory and will kinda piss and moan about a Combat Rifleman unless he's the second (Or third) Rifleman in a team.
  9. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

I was tbe oppisite when I statred playing on EU. Also It aas seeing those 6man ecnm ebfvkhsdbvihbsdihcgkwdvvkhwbijvsdi medal runs with Demo tank, cmbrofl, dpstank and Submando. No survrifle and Atank.
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Mobility Recon > Survey Recon for EC nightmare.

Reasons:

1) There's sufficient ammo scattered around, once he gets refresher he can go around willy nilly gathering crap.

2) Life saving. 3 CM and 2 Escape above all. Escape is vital for dealing with charging parasites and countermeasures makes everything easier when used properly.

3) Survivability. Until a survey recon gets his reaper drone, he has little in the way of keeping himself alive if he gets into trouble. Even then, few and far in between are the recons capable of properly using their reaper.

Disagree if you wish. Wont hurt my feelings.
  11. poor_newb

poor_newb Member

5-6 player games have less spawns than 8 players, and that changes a lot of things

For 8 player ec nm, which is norm in NA, I don't see how any team can survive the muta wave without traps or escape

I'm not familiar with EU but for 5-6 players I guess you can get away with it by just stacking dps
  12. AngelSephy

AngelSephy New Member

i see everyone came out a different list of classes, too much variety, what most important is on how good the player in optimizing the skill of each class
  13. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

I would run

Assault Tank
    FA Medic
    Nuke Commando
    Assassination Marksman
    FS Engineer
  14. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

1st 3 slots are the same as everyone else, usually.

As for 4th and 5th, like many have said, personal preference rules here. Since the mobs are nowhere near as severe and the you need more dps then oh shit escape buttons (Trapper/Mob Con), I would probably roll a dps class (Combat rofl for Bar, Cengy for mob control, SMM for Bar/Stinger).

The only thing I would probably do totally different then most is dump OpComm for SMM.

1) Nuker is for worms and saving ammo during domes. SMM can solo worms with ease, and Stinger is an ultra efficient weapon.

2) SMM can use bar, Nuker can not (In fact only AMM/SMM/Crofl can use bar effectively, Arms can not, the recoil + low base movespeed means ninja ghouls will probably swarm him).

3) Cengy does just a good job with mob control, OD + Boom Headshot usually contains most mobs. OD can end up doing just as much mob control as nuke, its just not all at once.

4) Nuker is fragile and to be most effective must get into the fray with Flamer, SMM has multiple escape options and scouts just as well as mob con (Scope).

5) SMM can take out dome D with stinger/bar without endangering himself.

6) SMM can deal with huggers easily (ninja invis or not).

7) SMM can hunt down mentos/parrot (Mentos being rather dangerous on NM, and Nuker sorta can get him, but its distracting for the nuker to track and launch nukes while not getting nydused)

Fort demo would be nice backup. Also because of the lack of super mobs (its 5 man), 1 SL nano could possibly work here.
  15. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Well we kind of ended up doing it 5 man last night Thermidor as you, you know, got splatted by a broodmother during eggs :D

So if we take out nukemando who we didn't have from egg onwards, we won it with
    FDemo
    SRecon (died during Black Ops)
    FMedic
    SCommando
    CRifle

SubCom was tanking queen for the first half of the fight with mobs, FDemo did the 2nd half and chasing
    SubCom and SRec were also killing Dome D together.
  16. Thermidor

Ain't disagreeing. I think both types of recons are good in their own way but I guess it just goes down to preference.

Anyway, what I've gathered so far is that:
    1. Most people seem to agree on having an assa tank, FA medic and a nukemando.
    2. 4th and 5th slots are down to preference and that usually differs on some servers.
    3. Having extra DPS over trappers/mobrecons is good as it's only a 5 man run where the spawns aren't as big.

Finally, Arcane, interesting point of view regarding the SubMM. I think that could work well too although there's 1 reason you gave which I'm not sure about which was reason No. 2 (Barrett reason). I think a nuker would be okay with a barrett because you could use surg+adr with an SMG or something quite fast. Once speed from adr is built up sufficiently, you switch to the barrett during the reload and what you have is a powerful, fast weapon (this was mentioned in Nite's comm guide IIRC). Only problems would be the recoil effect and reload of the barrett...

Thanks for your opinions everyone! :)[hr]
    Don't remind me. It's on noob of the day now.
  17. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

It certain got me thinking whether we actually need a Nuker in 5 and 6 man runs. SubCom in its current state was quite useful.
    I mean we missed speed by like what, 20 seconds?
  18. Thermidor

5 seconds I think since it stops when queen dies. I don't think nukemando is as madatory as it seems in 5 man runs but I think 1 could be needed if anymore people join.
  19. Jercy

Jercy Well-Known Member

With the nuke commando you could have killed the queen a whole lot faster. Main reason for nuker is not for the nukes, but for his dps output on bosses and throughout the entire game. He can use any weapon pretty much the best it can be used.
  20. Lightning
    • Donator

Lightning Member

EC NM = lack of ammo
    AC NM = lack of med kits

correct me if im wrong :/