bank currupted

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by chainleet, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chainleet

chainleet New Member

someone said that if i upload a replay I can get a new bank file.

I played once till like 1200 xp and now till 1900 xp.. looking forward to using demo

I had a few NM wins there too... :(

player name chainleet

Attached Files:

2. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

Whoa there, who told you this ?

If your bank file is really corrupted, sorry you have to restart a new bank.
  3. Marcus

Marcus Member

If your bank file is corrupted/lost there is nothing that can be done. You must start again :(. For preventing this(corrupted/lost bank file) you should make a backup regulary of you bank file :) (On disk/external disk/usb/ideally mail or some online disk service).

BTW You should check if you dont have your "old" bank file somewhere on your comp tho.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

On your computer under C:\ > Users > *Your Account* > StarCraft 2 > Accounts > *Your Account* > *Your ID* > 1-S2-1-1557547 there are two files: notdv005 and NOTDBackup. Delete notdv005 and rename NOTDBackup to notdv005. I doubt that whatever happened has corrupted both given that they save at different intervals.
  5. chainleet

chainleet New Member

When I open the NOTDBANK5.SC2bank it is a blank file (in notepad)
    0 bytes file size

and when I open the backup file it says

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Bank version="1"/>

file size 61 bytes

When I swapped the files and tried a game I still started with 0 xp.

The backup bank is dated 12/18, the blank bank is dated on the 17th. I was playing a EC NM and the game crashed with a fatal.

you can't generate one, being the game maker?

I played NOTD-1.6-2final-3 (including tygers unreleased completely remade from scratch NOTD3 with grapple) -AM-FM-DOTD in wc3 in clans MADD (including their USEAST first notd3 nm victory, i think ssj4peter beat it on n0td first)/LOL/KL1T/M4DD/N0TD since 2004 and I am getting REALLY sick of the grind by now.

a bunch of people in the NOTD channel can vouch for me playing games, I got all that Xp in priv games (100% of the XP after 500 was done in priv games with established members of the community)

IDC about the statistics, in NOTD i stop saving after LCPL (just so move speed is acceptable) (like zerglingmedic, if anyone knows him) and GYSGT (so all classes besides delta unlocked) in NOTDAM. I was lookin folward to demo tanking and higher difficulty modes, I was never a stats guy.

I uploaded the crash log that deleted my ~35? hours of work.. not so easy to get the 15-20 games required when you have to spend an hour wrangling people in chat and then hope people don't rage quit over some trivial issue. (this community is VERY VERY VERY VERY RITUALISTIC, its like herding cats).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  6. EdowardoLMP

EdowardoLMP Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that both files are incomplete/corrupted. Both files should be identical and should at least close to 1kbytes in size.

Can you specify at what point you crashed ? It could be the crash causes the halt of processing of the bank files.

Can, but it causes a lot of issues back then. Now it's strictly forbidden, sorry.

Been there done that, that's the point of NOTD what. But I loved most are the funny shits and shenanigans. :p

The good thing is that the XPs are easy earned now compared to the past years. But yea, it's still very community dependent, if you really want a few games, I won't mind joining any of em (including yours). I "half-quitted" for at least 1-2 years but would like to spend few free times for a few rounds. Cheers.[/quote]
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Generating banks for people opens up a can of worms that I'd rather leave sealed.
  8. chainleet

chainleet New Member

I thought the information was being stored on blizzard/remote servers.

You should put a message on the load screen to tell players that the saving system is local and that it is highly prone to corruption (I know that I am not an isolated case) and its their responsibility to back up their progress.

The way it is setup now is that a player which is new to the starcraft 2 bank system has to get burned in order to be compelled to take measures to prevent it from happening.

The community seems to feel that its the responsibility of a player to back up their stuff, but how am I supposed to know to do that without actually experiencing the bug ? What if I played this for months and got a gen rank and it got deleted? How would you feel if your WoW/everquest/bank account/cellphone got deleted and tech support told you oh, you should have logged onto our forum... and even if you did (which i did)...

the name of your thread related to this issue is called
    "fox's Bank File Backup/Restoration Guide"

I actually read the forum before, looking for strategy advice, and completely missed that thread. I had no idea that "saving your biometric id information" was some how related to banks. It's not like the thread is called "DO THIS TO MAKE SURE YOUR XP DOES NOT GET DELETED".

When I read that it seems like its some mission objective, like, backing up a bank file in some game mode/rare event I never witnessed. Like lost cause in notd:am (which was hard and you kind of needed to know the strategy to get through it, as it happened once in a blue moon).

bank is a game engine term, maybe it makes sense to the developer of the map but I had no idea what a bank is. I only found out what a bank is by complaining in game to people that my score got deleted. I was then able to understand the significance of the
    "fox's Bank File Backup/Restoration Guide".... and even then, requiring your playerbase to have the curiosity to go on the community forum as not to get get screwed is pretty sketchy.

It seems that a key aspect of this game is saving XP, as evidence by the unlocking of gameplay modes and character classes (like, the majority of the games content (like what, 80% of classes? 60% of missions (not even counting the gameplay modes) is locked to you unless you play a bunch)....
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Where on Earth did you get that information? Save file loss is rare and most often caused by fault of the player's hardware, not SC2 or NOTD. We've taken as many steps as we can without outright babying players to get them to protect their data, including building a piece of software to do it for them, but if they do not wish to utilize our resources then they may only blame themselves. Literally every game in the SC2 arcade, that saves your information, stores that information on a bank file located on the player's hard drive. This is common information among, not just the NOTD playerbase, but among the SC2 playerbase. NOTD force feeds you enough confusing information as it is without adding in a hand-holding guide about where your bank file is and how to protect it. We constantly push people to further interract with the community and to join this website where information like that can be found, but people simply do not wish to take the time to do so.
  10. DamonIsa

DamonIsa New Member

Yeah, I can honestly say that in all my time playing the only time I had an issue with Bank File Corruption happened during an infamous patch that hosed everyone's bank files (but not their backups) as they switched to a new format. Years ago actually. So it's a pretty stable thing, honestly as much as you may hear about it, keep in mind it is a vast minority. A vocal one because trust me, it sucks to lose some 40k+ XP and have to start over. You miss things like being able to rock the 9 perception when all the cloaked Zoombies and Wraiths are coming after you, etc. So there is sympathy for it.

I should know... I'm in that saddle myself. Oh, not because my bank got corrupted so much as Blizzard got my account hacked, so I'm starting all over from scratch so as not to raise "he's a hacker!" alarms by suddenly showing up on a new account with an old bank.

By the way, ArcturusV, back in the saddle on my new name after unpleasantness. Hope to see some new people and some old ones in NA again.

All I can say is we're both in that boat, might as well help each other out in raising back up. Trust me, second time around is much faster than the first. All the lessons and skills you learned along the way really do pay off. They can take your XP, but not your Stutter Step-Knife-Flamer Micro.
  11. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Holy shit! Welcome home.
  12. DamonIsa

DamonIsa New Member

Ready to get cut and gut by Blindlings again. Thanks Blaqk.
  13. On topic:
    take this as a chance to experience the game in a new way, for example try to focus on the story more in recruit (you now can focus on the story and stay alive at the same time) also you can challenge yourself (but warn your team mates ;) ) finally, 1.9k is a small amount of xp, i know people who lost tens of thousand (due to their hardware failure)
    off topic:
    Welcome back arcturus, your guides helped me a lot while starting up and i enjoyed the tour very much :)
  14. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Slip me 500$ and I'll remake it for you.
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Rainbow Sticker Rainbow Sticker x 1
  15. squish

squish Well-Known Member

• Dumb Dumb x 1
    • Butt Butt x 1
  16. Mirage
    • Donator

I am so obviously joking. :p
    • Lovely Lovely x 2
  17. squish

squish Well-Known Member

As was I. Which would have been painfully obvious to anyone passing out ratings in the thread, given that they even played NotD at all anymore.

Edit: Grammar is hard while doing Arenas.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  18. Mirage
    • Donator

No but really, 500$ and I'll give you a hacked bank, my Airsoft gun could use some upgrades.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.