Autosave

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ghost, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Hi Ability,

Autosave is still not working properly based on reports and personal testing today.
    It saves properly on death only.

I am wondering whether some part of the autosave code still looks for the old bank name or so? Though seems maybe unlikely as no old bank name file is created.
    Some difference between auto and manual save code that seems to be the issue.
  2. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

If it saves properly on death, it should be saving properly in the regular instances (the code and mechanics are same). Auto-save runs on intervals of several minutes - not every moment. So if someone quits in between without manual save (say killing a big boss or gaining macho credits), you will still lose some progress. I highly recommend using manual save '-s' if someone is leaving on their own accord.

The only remaining interaction with the old bank is when a player doesn't have notdbank5, then NOTD will load the stats from notdv003 (read-only) and save as notdbank5 on-going.

I will also put in some additional failsafes in the end-game sequence next patch to fire multiple saves as a precaution.
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Yeah it is mostly the issue with not autosaving at victory + medals that is the issue.
    For instance a pub I was playing today I got killed during shriek and survived with predator. I didn't -s at the end when we won and just went with RTE. Got the XP up till black ops, but no xp for queen kill, victory or speed.

People leaving during game without saving is their own fault.
  4. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

My exp is saved to v5, yet if I place my 003 bank back into the folder, medals are saved there. If I remove 003, medals will not save, anywhere, it seems.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay - will talk to Earendil on this.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Just a heads up that this remains unfixed with the current patch
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

I can confirm this. I've been soloing EC NM to keep my skills sharp and autosave is still not operating correctly. Once I have a chance (or if someone else would like to jump on it), I'll post a screenshot of the "Last Modified" date that Windows 7 so generously displays to confirm that NOTD Backup is being written to properly, but that notdbank5 is only written to upon death or upon -s input.
  8. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I've plugged in the manual save system (which works fine) when people click 'Mission Failure / Return to Earth', while Earendil tries to take a look into the auto-save system. I'm stumped.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Based on our talk yesterday when you got the autosave to work for player 1, is it very different to implement it for players 2-8?
    I'm not familiar with SC2 coding, but based on experience with coding for other games, it should be a simple matter of continuing the loop (by getting next player) for saves or simply duplicating the code for players 2 through to 8.
  10. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

Reminds me of my old SC1 mapmaking days. I'd spend hours just duplicating spawn triggers. D: