Automatic Ban Check

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by rockz, Feb 25, 2017.

1. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

The goal of anti hacking should be to prevent illegal banks from being usable. I don't particularly care if I play with a hacker, but what does bother me is when someone comes along with something theoretically impossible. If a hacker devotes their time to make a theoretical bank, then I don't mind playing with them.

gf_PlayerAutomaticBanCheck checks using the following conditions:

If Max Mod Points is less than 0
    If Max Mod Points is greater than 0 and Life Time Credits is less than 10000.
    If Player XP is less than 135000 and games played is over 4500
    If Player XP is greater than or equal to 260000 and karma is less than 1500
    If Player XP per game is greater than or equal to 300
    If Player XP per game is less than 30 and Player XP is greater than or equal to 40000

If BO Insignia purchased and Lifetime Credits is less than 10000
    If Player XP is between 160000 and 170000 and games played is over 4500
    If Player XP is greater than 600000
    If Player XP is less than 3500 and Combat Action Ribbon is greater than 50 (less than 70 XP per game)

If Livesaving Medal or Silver Star is greater than Combat Action Ribbon
    If Max Mod Points is greater than 20

I've made the stupid checks in bold:

A devoted crappy player, or one who remakes a lot can easily get under 30 XP per game. Once they hit 40k, they're gone. 135000XP/4500 games can't ever trigger because of this. The 160000-170000 with 4500 games is also a bit ridiculous, as it's oddly specific. Finally, perhaps you should be banned at 600k, or you can look at it as a greater challenge, but either way, there are players who can reach this eventually. EC recruit has a minimum win XP of 45 (or so), so it's very possible to get 50 ribbons without getting 3500 XP.

New checks:

Average XP per game > 550 (whatever Sec B NM Speed with 400k XP runs out to)
    Illegal combinations of weapon mods. Just make sure that the sum of all the weapons mods is negative (so you can have +12 and -12 or -16, but not +12 and -4).
    More wins than games played
    Illegal stats for rank+medal count (currently legal max is 44, but with the troll 1 million rank, it's 46, which is more than the hard limit of 45).
    More wins than Combat Action Ribbon (they should be identical, but I have 6 untracked wins due to legacy bank).

Thoughts?
  2. stanK

stanK Member

Hacker apologetic! :D

A few remarks:
    1) the changes in bold are checks for common hackfiles, that were used at the time this function was created. It took a few months for hackers to figure it out and work around it. So whatever changes you add or propose to the function are only temporary. Any hacker will just use trial and error to work around them anyway.

2) Its theoretically possible to break avg xp > 300, but so far i was the only person marked as hacker by a similar check. So it doesn't work either way.

3) The only real way to deal with hackers is to address the motive -- WHY they hack. The answer is simple -- they are stupid, and cant beat pub. They want +4 weap mods in all, 5 lives, 9 stats in all, 400 cp in all.... they want every advantage imaginable. With that, they jump into pub, melt the ridiculously low hp enemies with pretty much anything, and show off to poor souls in pub "loooook how awesome i am!!! trololol!!!". So if you wanna make a difference, you have to address this first.
  3. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

4. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

As someone who previously hacked banks for this map...

Just stop, its better to spend time working on map rather than playing the endless circle jerk trying to chase off bank modifiers.
  5. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

Bank modifiers shouldn't have unfair advantages over legit players is my point. I want to chase them off. As I said earlier, someone who hacks a legal bank is fine. The changes I push should fix it so that nobody can have 4/4/4/4/4/4 in weapon mods and 9 in every stat point without being labeled a cheater.

I also need something easy to fix first before I tackle other things. It just so happens when I see bullshit that affects legit players, I want to fix it.
  6. stanK

stanK Member

That's interesting, was before I played this. Not sure if it has impact now, after all changes, but the principle of not banning legit players should remain.

You didn't say why we should stop, aside from saying "I hacked before so I have authority" :D
  7. Mirage
    • Donator

8. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

You've also managed to say absolutely nothing in 2 posts.
  9. JohnyM

JohnyM Member

Personally, i dont see any problems with haxors. You dont inv them to nm, and they have no real impact on pubs which i play.

But bringing back warden system and improving automatic checks should happen anyway, if possible, just for the sake of fair-play.

BUT:
    Lagacy banks are a problem, otherwize CAR vs wins would be a perfect check. But if it's not valid, i wouldnt even touch it.
    With this thread you only did more damage as you handed them checks on a silver plate.
    So even tho i've got some ideas, i wont post them here.
  10. stanK

stanK Member

Prolly cos u either kill them or make sure they don't lead :D
  11. Pickles

Pickles New Member

(Sorry haxors: through word of mouth between the veterans in this thread, and several others, we've come to a unique solution regarding you. I'm waiting to hear back from the developers to move forward)

edit: included, a "unique" solution
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  12. JohnyM

JohnyM Member

And that solution sux too. If im gonna be slower and need to wait more to use skills / sprint cuz OOM - pubs even moar borinK.
  13. Pickles

Pickles New Member

14. Mirage
    • Donator

There is no such thing as a perfect check.

I haven't played in months and I could go grab the checks from the map file and post them here.

I won't; but its mindlessly easy to do it and defeats the purpose of going full ham to try and prevent it.
  15. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

I believe I've implemented this. CAR>Wins, since CAR has always been tracked, whereas wins haven't. Also security by obscurity isn't a good thing. I'm fine with telling hackers how to bypass the automatic checks so they have a legal bank. I don't necessarily think that they ruin recruits, as they make it easier for new players to win recruit, but I want them to have legal stats.

Yes there is such a thing as a perfect check: one that does not involve false positives. I believe I've already grabbed the checks from the map file and posted them here, so you don't have to, since it was mindlessly easy. But I will dissagree with you that I'm trying to prevent hacking. I'm trying to prevent illegal stats, while cleaning up the original code a bit. Stank's method is the best way to prevent hacking, and I don't particularly want to touch it. The current and past autobanchecks, for whatever reason, were focusing on unrealistic checks rather than illegal checks. I'm not sure how people as intelligent as the developers could miss such obvious hacking as this.

I've submitted a pull request that you can view here and removes the unrealistic ban checks and adds the 2 illegal ban checks.
  16. JohnyM

JohnyM Member

Im not fine with telling hackers how to do that. Should make it as hard as possible for them, you just made it eazier.
    And im not fine with legacy banks, as they are "impossible" and they should be long gone and banned along with haxors.
  17. Mirage
    • Donator

Because writing algorithms to check the 'legitness' of banks takes more time than its worth? Or some devs just don't care that much about trying to prevent modifications because of how futile it is, because every moment you spend trying to play whack-a-mole is another moment you didn't spend making improvements to map functionality.
  18. stanK

stanK Member

Updating outdated hack checks isn't a time consuming task. In fact rockz already submitted his change to AP.

Now regarding the general idea of combating hackers -- the current state of the game is that they can run rampant with virtually zero repercussions. This is the result of outdated ban checks, and result of stagnated warden system, that relies on constant patches that were put on hiatus for a year. Needless to say, this WAS NOT INTENDED by the original development team, that's why updates to the system are to be welcomed.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  19. rockz
    • Donator

rockz Well-Known Member

Additionally, since I removed all the XP checks, it should be easier to hack now.
  20. JohnyM

JohnyM Member

And you're proud of that? Im against those changes and i let AP know it's not good IMO, lets see what he decide.