Automated Combat Assistance

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Apr 29, 2013.

?

At what point should ACA be disabled?

1. 500 EXP, both Rifle and Medic get autocast help

7.7%
  2. 1000 EXP, both Rifle and Medic get autocast help

30.8%
  3. 500 EXP, only Rifle gets autocast help

30.8%
  4. 1000 EXP, only Rifle gets autocast help

15.4%
  5. I don't think ACA should be implemented (explain why or get destroyed)

15.4%
  1. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

Autocast for Medic skills are not needed because the AI might be taking more action than the player. (The player doesn't need to cast spells, just move around and stay alive). I'd rather have something like what Ozy posted so eventually the player will learn what to do as Medic when their teammates get an aliment. Either do that or just trash the AVA for Medic. Older Players should be teaching the basics to newer players anyways.
  2. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

I too prefer shówing a newbie what he is supposed to do, instead of the game making that for him.
  3. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Which is all great and good for when there's a vet there, but what about when there aren't any? Games without vets do happen, and even though NOTD's learning structure has always been "have someone more experienced teach you" I'd like NOTD to be able to be learned by someone who doesn't have instructors around. I mean, of course, one can learn any game after many rounds of trial and error (for instance The Rising Dead) but I'd much rather NOTD be newbie-friendly.
  4. brizingr5

brizingr5 Member

Especially in freaking "RECRUIT mode," the one that you're supposed to be able to win without even trying (which, quite honestly, is far from it in comparison to other games at the same "level" of difficulty (easy, recruit, lowest difficulty)).

I think you people are all forgetting that this ACA will drop off after maybe 3-5 days of casual playing (about the amount of time it takes for people to understand the basics), and maybe 2 days of a pro grinding (which DLINK is the only person I've ever seen this happen with). Not only will it prevent them from being deterred from playing the custom game ever again after the
    but it will also give them time to learn the mechanics at a more staggered place. Remember: all of those noobs who picks assault don't get any help, and Ability said ff isn't getting ACA, so rofl isn't getting any help either.

Of course, there's always the alternative of make medic a 500-1000+ xp class, which is actually a terrible idea for so many reasons (can't have a medic if people don't have xp; people don't get to learn medic till later; etc.).
  5. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Chances are, a new player will get hurt much more, consequentially needing to rely on the medic more.

There won't always be a veteran medic to keep them fixed up. Not all games will have a nice veteran playing as medic to guide them.

People need to know how to do something, fast. Having the game hand-hold them a bit won't be a problem at the start.

After all first impressions matter, and those few games at the start have a huge impact on a player.

When you start to play, what you learn first matters, and will likely stick with you for a long time. The longer its been since you learned it, the harder it becomes for them to change.