Attention Terran Turtlers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blaqk, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

THIS is how you use bunkers, noobs. Take it from a super aggressive Zerg player, if you build your defensive structures at your base, you're forkin' wasting them!

Sadly, there's no "Feat of Strength" for wiping out the Zerg and Tal'darim forces in Smash and Grab. =(

I started to get nervous when I kept getting repulsed trying to push up the ramp and the Adjutant started informing me "Mineral Field depleted." However, the creep colony at the top of the hill doesn't respawn like the others so I was able to hold the top just long enough to get a bunker up and gain a foothold on the high ground.

The developers did a sloppy job with the Zerg base. It has an absurd amount of resources, six or seven hatcheries, and that ramp is crazy defended, but there are a few key weaknesses and badly thought-out designs. That creep tumor not respawning is a huge advantage to exploit. In addition, the Hive structure itself is just off the top of the map. Instead of placing the Hive behind that delightful choke area I exploited in my last screenshot, they put it smack in the danger zone. The vital Zerg structures are also very vulnerable. The first thing I did when I got up that ramp was take out the rest of the creep tumors, the nearest hatchery on the left so I could build another bunker, and killed the Hydralisk Den and Spawning Pool. After that it was a cakewalk.
  2. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

You honestly don't need the second expo to finish that mission. Getting about 50units and push in works just fine.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Sure, you can "merely accomplish your mission"... but what is a Terran? A miserable pile of secrets? Hell no. We are the one species that succeeds without needing god like manipulation on our side. We are the masters of all we survey not by some divine mandate, but by blood and steel. Don't just slink in the shadows, content to merely exist. Absolutely destroy all that stands in your way. Or on secondary access roads to your way. Build monuments to your feats on the bones of your enemies.
  4. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

After I finished the Zerg base I just massed Marauders and Medics. Those Archons and High Templar will eat attempted Marine balls and if you haven't seen the Stone Guardians' health on Brutal then you are in for a surprise.
  5. Diode

Diode Well-Known Member

The point of it was to let the zerg and toss fight each other while you just go side ways and keep pumping.
  6. Ghostel

Ghostel New Member

Excuse me if this question will offend you:

It was accomplished on what difficulty? Normal? Brutal? Easy?

Just interested ^^*
  7. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Those Stone Golems gave me no problems. MMM Ball + SCV's, Final Push, could care less what happened after I blew it to pieces.

Marines + Medics + a few Marauders cleared the bases, and when it came to Archons, Focus Fire and it goes down faster than anything else.
  8. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Sadly... all you need for the ENTIRE brutal campaign except for last level is ... Marine/Medic

Even the mission with rip fields, you can get the tech power to drop barracks units at rally pooint to wipe out every rip generator, then massive push with marines to end it.
  9. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I prefer getting The Reactor + Lab add-on over it o.o, didn't see much of a point in dropping em anywhere.
  10. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Actually, the drop pods are pretty useful if you are going largely bio, you just need a lot of barracks, then you can drop an army of marines and medics at any point on the map in less than 30 seconds.

Also, it's possible to complete the entire campaign with just marines, no other units (other than scvs of course) except for the last level. That level's hard on brutal.
  11. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

Last levels insane the artifact actually blew up during the end cutsence (too bad my campaign files were on my old CPU which was way b4 I played notd)
  12. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Last level wasn't that hard if you built your tech around it. I did it with the air eliminated in the previous mission. Have a group or two of banshees to take out the nydus worms and any encroaching spore crawlers, wall off the entrances with planetary fortresses, mass tanks behind them, set a few vikings to patrol your perimeter to deal with overlords, and have a massive group of ghosts on standby to spam snipe on kerrigan. Never had an issue with that mission and with that strategy I can pretty regularly beat it on brutal without using the artifact once.
  13. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Eh. I never liked doing Shatter the Sky. It ends up being a bit too luck based for my tastes. Just because a Nydus Spawn when Kerrigan marches in usually means GG. I always found it much, much easier to do Belly of the Beast and just deal with the frankly pathetic AI and Tactics the zerg throw at you.
  14. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

That was brutal. Any other difficulty and I wouldn't have needed the bunkers.
  15. MIB

MIB New Member

If you were that bored, did you sweep the Protoss on both sides too after you finished off the Zerg might I ask you Blaqk? :D

Anyway for Campaign, all you need is a fully upgraded (from both Hyperion's armory and the weapon/armour upgrades from Engineering Bay) MMM ball and some decent mirco. This will pretty much win you most missions even on Brutal, just watch out out for things like Siege Tanks, Banes, Colossus & HTs' storms).
  16. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Yes I did. :D

I was soooo hoping that if I approached the artifact from the Zerg side that it would issue a defeat. I was disappointed. =\
  17. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Nah, it would not do that because it does leave open a semi dangerous strategy to beat that level. You can sit back, mine out and max out an army of MMM, allow zerg to wipe out all the Protoss defenses and reach the artifact defense, then suddenly block off the zerg with half your army, and finish off that side Protoss to win.