Assault 2.0

Discussion in 'Canceled Content' started by Kith, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

This is mostly just converting the original thread into a more readable format and consolidating changes from other threads, but there are a handful of new things. I'll be helpful and toss a [Update] tag on stuff that's more than just a tooltip rewrite.

STATS
    Not a whole lot going on except for reducing base Maximum Health to 225 because the shooty Assault is more durable than I originally intended thanks to 4 armor as an innate.

INNATES
    Innates (aka 4 armor and fat magazines) don't need changing, so I'm not going into detail with them.

SIEGE
    Still the biggest pew-pew, but now featuring new leveling structure and re-balanced damage output.

TIER 1
    Ability Name:
    Concentrated Fire
    Ability Description:
    Increases Attack Speed for a moderate duration.

Level 1: 50% bonus for 5 seconds.
    Level 2: 100% bonus for 6 seconds.
    Level 3: 150% bonus for 7 seconds.

“Knowing how to burst fire without a selector is one of the core skills of being a gunner.”
    Ability Button Description:
    Increases Attack Speed by 50%/100%/150% for 5/6/7 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 10 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 5 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Transient: Yes
    Hotkey: F

Ability Name: Critical Strike
    Ability Description:
    Provides a chance to deal additional damage. Critical Damage is based on the weapon being used.

Level 1: 15% chance to deal bonus damage.
    Level 2: 30% chance to deal bonus damage.
    Level 3: 45% chance to deal bonus damage.

“Accuracy isn't my strong point with all this recoil, but sometimes Lady Luck smiles on me.”
    Effect:
    Increases Critical Strike chance by 15%/30%/45%.

TIER 2
    Ability Name: Ammunition Feed [Update]
    Ability Description:

Increases the amount of Magazines that can be loaded at once.

Level 1: Doubles capacity.
    Level 2: Triples capacity.

“Suppressing fire is not a short affair. Be sure you have enough ammo.”
    Effect:
    Doubles/Triples the amount of Magazines usable per reload and increases Magazine consumption per reload by the same amount.

Ability Name: Advanced Targeting [Update]
    Ability Description:

For duration, Critical Damage lowers the Movement Speed of damaged enemies.

Level 1: Critical Damage lowers the Movement Speed of damaged enemies by 50% for 1 second.
    Level 2: Doubles the current Critical Strike chance.

“Put your stopping power to good use.”
    Level 1: For 10 seconds, Critical Damage lowers the Movement Speed of damaged enemies by 50% for 1 second.
    Level 2: For 10 seconds, Critical Strike's chance is doubled and Critical Damage lowers the Movement Speed of damaged enemies by 50% for 1 second.
    Ability Cost: 20 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 15 Seconds
    Effect:
    See button description. Bonus afforded by the Level 2 version is based on the Critical Strike ability and does not factor in any other sources (Flechette Rounds, medals, ect), so the increase is 15%/30%/45% (based on Critical Strike's current level).
    Hotkey: W

TIER 3
    Ability Name: Lockdown [Update]
    Ability Description:

Gain bonus damage and range while immobilized. Lockdown automatically deploys and packs up the Heavy Machine Gun when used.

Level 1: Increases Weapon Damage by 50% and Range by 5.

“I am the tower, the defender of all I survey. I will lay waste to my enemies so that those I watch over may be safe. I will be vigilant so those that I defend may live without worry, for I am the tower, and they are protected.”
    (Toggle ON)
    Increases Weapon Damage by 50% and Range by 5, but immobilizes the Assault.

(Toggle OFF)
    End Lockdown, allowing the Assault to move again.
    Ability Cooldown: 5 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Engaging and disengaging the ability both have a 1 second casting time.
    Transient: No
    Hotkey: G

Ability Name: Gemini [Update]
    Ability Description:

Gain the ability to equip two weapons at once, but lose the ability to use special weapons or weapons that must be deployed.

Level 1: Gain an additional Weapon slot. Weapons draw from the same ammunition pool and must be reloaded at the same time.

“When you've got a problem, use more gun.”
    Effect:
    Adds the Gemini Weapon Slot to the Assault's Equipment Bar. Unlocking Gemini makes the Assault unable to equip the Heavy Machine Gun and whatever other weirdo special weapons we may add that require deploying or special ammunition. Reloading uses the longer duration between the two weapons.

IRONCLAD
    Nigh-invulnerability for fun and profit. Like Siege, still very similar to its original incarnation, but its leveling structure has been retooled significantly.

TIER 1
    Ability Name:
    Defensive Plating [Update]
    Ability Description:

Provides additional damage resistance.

Level 1: Increases Maximum Health by 50.
    Level 2: Increases Life Armor by 4.
    Level 3: Increases Ranged Damage Resistance by 40%.

“Getting shot isn't nearly as bad when it bounces off.”
    Effect:
    See Ability Description.

Ability Name: Taunt [Update]
    Ability Description:

Force nearby enemies to attack the Assault for a duration.

Level 1: Forces enemies within a 8 radius to attack for 5 seconds.
    Level 2: Gain 30% Damage Reduction while Taunt is active.
    Level 3: Duration increased to 10 seconds.

“If you want to make a lot of people very angry, start shouting political opinions.”
    Level 1: Forces enemies within an 8 radius to attack for 5 seconds.
    Level 2: Gain 30% Damage Reduction and force enemies within an 8 radius to attack for 5 seconds.
    Level 3: Gain 30% Damage Reduction and force enemies within an 8 radius to attack for 10 seconds.
    Ability Cooldown: 10 Seconds
    Ability Filters: Ground, Air
    Ability Range: 8 radius, centered on the assault
    Effect:
    See Button Description.
    Hotkey: V

TIER 2
    Ability Name:
    Cohesion [Update]
    Ability Description:

Prevent the application of Ailments to the Assault and nearby allies.

Level 1: Cohesion blocks Ailments for 10 seconds.
    Level 2: Cohesion applies to allies within an 8 radius.

“Herd immunity is easier when you can mount a cohesive defense.”
    Level 1: The Assault becomes immune to Ailments for 10 seconds.
    Level 2: The Assault and all allied units within an 8 radius become immune to Ailments for 10 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 30 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 30 Seconds
    Ability Filters: Allied, Heroic
    Effect:
    While Cohesion is active, the Assault cannot gain new Ailments (regardless of if they would be guaranteed application events, such as special attacks or getting hit by specific enemies). Level 2 causes Cohesion to extend to allies within an 8 radius.
    Hotkey: Q

Ability Name: Charge [Update]
    Ability Description:

Dash to the target location, dealing damage to enemies in the Assault's path.

Level 1: Deals 100 damage to enemies.
    Level 2: Damaged units are stunned for 2.5 seconds.

“Few expect such speed from such bulk, which is part of the fun.”
    Level 1: Quickly move to the target location, dealing 100 damage to enemies in the way.
    Level 2: Quickly move to the target location, dealing 100 damage to enemies in the way and stunning them for 2.5 seconds.
    Ability Cooldown: 6 Seconds
    Ability Range: 8
    Effect:
    See Button Description. Charge grants unit collision immunity while the Assault is in motion. The effect radius is 1.5, centered on the Assault for the duration of the ability.
    Hotkey: E

TIER 3
    Ability Name:
    Safeguard [Update]
    Ability Description:

Become more durable when under attack.

Level 1: Increases Life Armor by 1 for 5 seconds and restores 1 Health when attacked.

“Being invulnerable is my favorite hobby.”
    Effect:
    See Ability Description. Bonus life armor stacks up to 5 times.

Ability Name: Elbow Room
    Ability Description:
    Knock back nearby enemies for a brief duration.

Level 1: Pushes back all enemy units within a 5 radius for 5 seconds.

“Sometimes you just need a little personal space.”
    Push back all enemy units within a 5 radius for 5 seconds.
    Ability Cost: 30 Energy
    Ability Cooldown: 40 Seconds
    Effect:
    See Button Description. The push effect for the ability should expand to 5 radius over 1 second, and then remain there for the following 4 seconds. The ability is channeled and can be canceled early.
    Hotkey: G
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Stereo
    • Development Team

Stereo Paper Boy

I like the look of the new Assault. Question though, regarding the new Gemini.

Does the Assault receive an MS penalty for having a 2nd weapon? (As a 2nd weapon = more weight points. Could it perhaps be 50/75% of weapon's weight, if so? Lest he become the slowest of slowest?)
  3. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I think Concentrated Fire's flavor text should have a "to" in between how and burst fire.

What happens if we get over 100% Critical Strike Chance? Do we get Double-Criticals?

How does Gemini determine what is attacked - do both guns fire on the same target or do they fire on two different units?

How funny would Gemini be with two AMR's?

Siege looks neat overall.

That said, I'm a bit unsure about Safeguard. 1 Health heal doesn't seem like anything.
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

The Assault is of the Heavy Weight Class, which means he gets the least amount of MS penalty from Item Weight. So yes, while the Assault does technically have an MS penalty from carrying another gun, it's fairly small.

There was supposed to be and somehow it left. It's back now.

Nope.

Both guns fire on the same target. If the target is invalid (see: Flamethrower vs Air Units), the weapon in question just won't fire.

Hilarious. Having two of the same weapon is essentially a permanent double attack speed buff, which bypasses one of the AMR's balancing factors rather neatly.

Hooray.

Let's do a bit of math, then.
    • The Assault has 4 armor by default because they're in the "Heavy" category.
    • Defensive Plating at Level 3 increases that to 8.
    • For the sake of argument we'll roll with medium armor instead of heavy armor, so that's another +4, bringing us up to 12.
    • Finally, we'll posit that Safeguard is at maximum stacks, so +5 lands us at 17 Life Armor.
    Outside of Heavy type enemies, there aren't a whole lot of units that can deal more than single-digit damage to a unit with 17 Life Armor. That's not even taking into account other likely factors such as a Riot Shield's 5 Flat Damage Reduction or Taunt's 30% Damage Reduction, so all things considered 1 Health per hit is a lot. It basically allows the Assault to comfortably survive anything that isn't a Horde full of extremely tough customers or a hundred ailments.

To be totally honest? I feel like it's pretty close to overpowered, but I want to give it a spin and see how it performs because gaining health from taking damage is a concept that the series hasn't seen yet. If it does end up being overpowered (which is fairly likely), I'm going to keep the restoration aspect and cut the bonus armor. Protection Assault has always been boring and samey, so I want to diversify Ironclad's effects as much as possible.
  5. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I screwed up and forgot to include something that I wrote down on a scrap of paper instead of including with the main notes. Go me.
    • Assault's Maximum Health reduced to 225.
    • Defensive Plating gives 50 Maximum Health at Level 1, 4 Life Armor at Level 2, and 40% Ranged Damage Resistance at Level 3.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Changelog:
    • Gemini's implementation plans have been changed to addition of a window rather than a window being present on the Assault by default.
    • Cohesion has been changed into an activated ability that blocks Ailments completely, for just the Assault at Level 1 and for nearby allies at Level 2.
    • Charge has lost its knockback properties, but has gained collision immunity instead. Level 2 still adds a stun effect. Charge's damage may be increased in the future based on testing.
    • Like Like x 1