Armageddon Bomb Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ability, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Share your ideas here. I'll start.

Hot Rod
    Cooldown: 20 secs
    Energy: 25
    Spawns a 50 HP robot that can burrow. On surface contact with enemies, deals 2000 fire damage. Limit of 3 hot rods alive at any given time.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

RE: [Ideas Needed] Demo's Wall of Fire Replacement

Hm, friendly fire at all? radius or single target?

2000 damage sounds pretty powerful (8000 if you save up - 3 + 1 ready without cooldown) for a class that you can only access for EC (replaced by FO in AC, CE in ST).

Add in synergy with FV and HE ammo and well... the base damage is stronger than nuke even though of course radius might well be smaller.

-

In terms of other thoughts, I'd actually be wondering if a T3 passive is worthwhile for the demo and then give him another active instead of Build Mines T1.
    A T3 passive that boosts mine damage, max mine count, mines per build, satchel damage and the like would be quite powerful and ensure that you only get the maximum potential from Explosive Demolitions if you went all the way.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Operations and Web

Flames of Gehenna
    "I'm tired of these rubber ducky zombies on my rubber ducky moon!" -SGM Jackson

30 Energy | 15s Cooldown | Allies take 50% Friendly Fire damage | LARGE xp share | Cannot target Heroic or Structure

A single enemy is consumed in a raging hellfire. The enemy will succumb to the flames after 3 seconds (instant death similar to KMS) and explode in a radius of 5. The explosion deals 50% of the targeted unit's maximum health (proper use of Fire Vulnerability will raise this to 75% at level 1, 100% at level 2, and HE ammo will make it utterly devastating) and stuns enemies for 1 second in a radius of 7.

[hr]

This ability will require serious skill or it will be either wasted or the equivalent of a newbie nuke.

[hr]

Example Use Scenarios

[hr]

Ability, your Hot Rod idea would make a better t2 with greatly reduced damage, and make Satchel a t1.
  4. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Question - What was the long time ago revised "Doomsday Device" to have consisted of which was meant to replace Wall of Fire?
  5. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Ah! I know what you're talking about. It was something akin to what TTD is now, except instead of some Sith Force Lightning, it was multiple rocket launchers.
  6. Peerawatz
    • Development Team

Peerawatz NOTD Staff: Sound Mixer and NOTD Troll Chieftain

Still don't know why must it be about fire :3, unless it's napalm Bomb, I thought it's pretty clear that Demo Experts are Demo Experts and not suppose to be a pyro ?
  7. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

It's not necessarily about fire.

The unit burning for 3 seconds is just an allegory for a fuse for the impending explosion.
  8. Reaper

That sounds about right. :p Throw it in an area and you know that whatever goes there is going to get peppered. If we can get the exact details of that again it may work.

A few suggestions from my side, for some reason I cant think of serious talents, everything is kinda playful.

Say Cheese!
    The Demolitions charges up a massive blast and after 2 seconds he releases it in a frontal cone dealing heavy damage to targets within the area, stuns survivors for 5 seconds.

Bust your Bunker
    The Demolitions launches a mortar projectile which when it reaches its highest point shoots itself into the ground dealing damage in an area and slowing affected creeps. After 3 seconds the mortar explodes dealing damage again to targets and violently throwing units into the air.

Power Punch
    The Demolitions picks a single target to engage and hits it once with an earthshattering punch which deals heavy damage to the main target and nearby units and pushes the main target back several yards and stunning it for 3 seconds.

Oops. Dropped Something.
    For the next 10 seconds the Demolitions drops a proximity mine behind him every second. These mines have a large AoE and slow targets with each consecutive explosion but last for a certain duration.

"IM ON FIRE!"
    Demolitions creates a path of fire behind him, this path deals damage to all who cross it, while active the Demolitions movespeed is increased.

Fire in your holes!
    The Demolitions throws a single bomb package which later deploys itself into smaller bombs which deal moderate damage on the outer ring and heavy damage within its center.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

Whatever it is, it MUST use the old TTD quip.

"Yeah I've got all five fingers! Three on this hand, two on the other!"
  10. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

I would suggest a remote detonation bomb.

Description: demo plants a cake of regular explosive, laced with traces of Helium-3.

Energy cost: 75 cooldown 1 minute Planting range: 500, detonation range 1000. Does 1000 damage and burns all targets in the area for t= 50x damage for 10 seconds, where x is the number of Helium-3 canisters collected in the game.

I suck at balancing, but the idea is that Helium-3 collection will affect the damage. I believe high difficulty games tend to produce more Helium-3 canisters, and this variable effect will help make the skill relevant in difficult games.
  11. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

But we sell that H3 for munnies. Wouldn't that mean using that T3 eats credits?
  12. Zuriel

Zuriel Well-Known Member

Like the description said, traces of H3. No loss of credits will ensue. Logic wise, it is inevitable that Helium escapes from containers as its particle size is so small. Handling H3 should also be a risky business, which demands high standards of precaution.
  13. Reaper

A few more talent ideas

Hellfire
    The Demolitions locks himself into place and unleashes a massive barrage of missiles/shells/explosive heads at a target area dealing heavy damage. Channeled.

Big Bertha
    Demolitions fires a single a shell over an extremely long distance that explodes on impact. Accuracy is reduced when firing in the Fog of War.

5 Fingas
    Demolitions fires 3 rockets at a target location dealing moderate damage, slowing units and making them vulnerable to attacks. After 2 seconds he fires 2 rockets at the same location dealing major damage.

Wall of Light
    The Demolitions unleashes with a barrage of explosions working his way from 1 side to another in a frontal cone damaging all that is caught within the area.

Several of these came from this. Anime to the rescue! :D
    [video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiDOgvrrVjM&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Watch the one below this line for explosive sound.
    [video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ4B1Uo58GA&feature=player_detailpage[/video]
  14. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Idea 1:

Heavy Load:

Active: The Demolitionist Lobs a Large Package of Explosives at a Target Area. In mid air, the package breaks, deploying 60 Charges over the Target area. Charges explode after 3 seconds.

Area of Distribution of Charges is a radius of 4.
    Costs 90 energy.
    60 second Cool down.
    Range of 11.

Charges:
    30 Damage per (No armor Reduction)
    Splash radius of 1
    Explodes after 3 seconds
    Damage can Overlap
    The size of the charges are roughly the same of

Idea 2:

The Big Delivery:

Passive: The Demolitionist's Mines are Upgraded to Level 4 if they are at level 3. (100 base Damage, max 60 charges)

Passive: The spider mine's splash radius is increased by 0.2.

Active: The Demolitionist Deploys all Mines at the target area, with a little creativity. Costs 60 energy, 30 second cool down. 9 casting range. The Mines are scattered in an 60 degree arc in front of the Demolitionist.

Notes:

The 1st idea is a bit more flexible, and allows a bit of variety in how his skill tree can be set up. 1800 damage @ 90 energy (20 damage per point of energy) for base damage, 4500 at Max damage (FV 2 + HE Ammo) @ 97 energy (46.4 damage per point of energy). The charges are all incapable of hitting every enemy in the zone, so the actual damage is much lower.

The 2nd Idea forces / requires you to go with Mines all the way, as it is pure synergy in his mines. Damage is based on how many mines you have built. 6000 assuming you built 60 and tossed them, then had them explode on an unlucky enemy. It peaks / tops off at 18000, w/ FV 2 & 1, along with the increased damage. The energy cost in that case is 300 for the mines, 60 for deployment, and 7 for Fire Vulnerability. Damage per point of energy is 16.66 at 6000( 60 mines), 40.9 at 15000 (Max possible damage; FV 2 + HE Ammo + 60 Mines). Again, not all Mines will hit all enemies, so the actual damage is lower.

Compare to Commando's Nuclear Missile. 1200 @ 50 energy (24 damage per point of energy) or 3000(surgical strike level 3) @ 80 (37.5 damage per point of energy). Not to sure on how HE and Weapon's Expertise effect Commando's nuclear Missile. Assuming that Weapons Expertise gives an increased 30% damage for his Nuking, and HE gives an increased 50%, then its 3960 @ 80(49.5 points of damage per point of energy).

Cooldown is also a Factor in all of them; The Commando has the highest ability to sustain the damage while Idea 2 has the lowest ability to deal sustained damage, with Idea 1 having the middle in between. I chose Commando as a Comparison as Nuclear Missile sounded like a valid compare point. The Problem with Idea 2 is; It will turn next to all Non-Final bosses into a molten mess if the user has enough ability to just lay down Fire Vulnerability 2 and shoot the boss once with HE ammo equipped.

From my stand-point on it Idea #2 is very unbalanced, and would have to be subject to balance, and hard balance at that. I didn't create it with Perfect Numbers in mind; It is just the rough initial draft on it. Idea #1 is much more reasonable in comparison. I am aware of how high the Energy Costs are.
  15. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I was actually thinking of a combination of #1 and #2 Arturia.
    Buff mines like you said and the active being within radius 20 the Demolitions can call in a miniature viking from his location to drop a minefield in target area using all his mines+10 for 20E (as building mines costs energy and it is only giving you 10 free mines). Field is circular with a spread of 0.2 radius between each mine.
    Cooldown of 15 seconds.

Or:
    Sticky Bomb
    Throw a remotely detonated sticky bomb at target enemy within 7 radius. Bomb sticks on the target and permanently grants vision of target.
    When detonated remotely, kills target outright (unless boss, in which case it deals 800 dmg) and deals 400 damage in radius 1 and -100 damage for each radius thereafter, so that at radius 4 only 100 damage is dealt.
    All surviving targets are given a ms debuff of 15% for 10 seconds.
    Damage is halved if target is killed before bomb is remotely detonated.
    Cost 40E, cooldown of 30 seconds.
  16. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I like this atm. Any thoughts?
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Ops

As long as the demo says "Yeah I got all five fingers! Three on this hand, two on the other!" I'm fine with it. =P

My concern is using this along with Sap and possibly Look! on overleveled or lucky demos to permanently stunlock bosses.
  18. Reaper

Or even better than the five fingers line...

"Baby, you really light my fuse."
    Fizz
    WHOOSH
    "WHOOPS!"
    BOOM!
    "DAMN!, PREMATURE DETONATION!"

It'll fit in nicely. 2 seconds for the first and then pretty much at the end of the explosion he says the last bit. Lols to follow. :p

Look!, Sap and this will drain him pretty quick of energy and if he stays in Easy Company the only boss he can catch with that is the Queen. For sake of balance, the stun can be reduced.
  19. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

That IS a grenade in my pants...
  20. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

My only concern with Say Cheese! is the ability for quick hitting enemies to possibly troll you with it. I'm thinking in particular of situations where you are reloading or switching weapons (The two examples that come to mind with a Casting Time). A ghoul happens to tap you and suddenly your marine turns around and runs away unbidden.

I could just see that going bad, particularly if it follows the Explosion Demo style and can TK. Charge it up, random spawn under your feet taps you, charging ghoul slips in, something, and BAM! You nuke your own team and stunlock them just to make sure they all die.

I mean best case scenario you have a wasted shot. Worse case you just killed your whole team.

Course I don't know if the ability itself will be tied to the same "Casting" behavior as my reference points. Just the only concern that came to mind.

Alternate T3 idea:

Just throwing this out there.

No Bounce, No Play

8 Energy, Instantly Reusable. Casting range 10. Cast on a single mine or satchel. The explosive rises up into the air and explodes for 50% additional damage, will damage air units in its radius.

Reasoning: Easy Company, which is going to be the sole campaign for the Demolitions is actually fairly heavy on fliers and flying enemy segments compared to other story lines, during which an Explosion Demo has practically nothing to do. It's not a huge, splashy, exciting Tier 3, but it rewards quick micro.

Downside: Might not be good enough. Might still make the Explosive Demolitions feel underpowered, particularly stacked against the great Time to Die. I think it's an interesting way to go, but probably not what people are really looking for.

Aside: Huzzah, I'm a Black Ops now!