Areas where the code can be minimized

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Lord NiteShade, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Because of the dire importance of the maxed out script, let us brainstorm areas of the game where the amount of code needed could be lessened, or content that could be removed.

1: Zombie Cows
    2: Zombie Sheep
    3: Unnamed "holo stripper" hex
    4: Hades 1 Cutscene
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

RE: Areas where the amount of code can be minimized.

Maybe save a bit of the Pre-Deimos waves always started at the 12:30 mark. No rating loss coded in or anything. Probably save a few lines of code on that.

The Slasher Civilian Ship in Lag Forest. It's almost never used anyway and isn't really a factor in Legion of Merit.
  3. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

-Don't go up that road
  4. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I suppose all the cutscenes can be taken out, especially that one about the ways into Apollo.
  5. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'm okay with removing all the mid-game cutscenes. Any violent objections?
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Hm, I think we can remove most of em. Esp maybe tart/elly.

I kind of like the apollo introduction in ec recruit though, but needs to show generators more clearly t be of much use.
  7. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

-Limit Kenny's random drops to only 3 mags

-Remove the hex from the Prisoner cells in EC and Alpha. In addition, Remove the two minis, John and Farica Augustin from Alpha and EC, In EC they do nothing but wonder around the west ogi/ivan hex and the Containment Facility.
  8. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

I think removing the parasite hex in middle of map from ec recruit as it doesn't do much to be honest.
  9. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

In AC the hex spawns farica who gives you 10 av... ;) (yes i always do it right at the start so you never know!)

As for kenny, i enjoy the random drops, but there's some huge lag each time he drops mags. Mainly just with mags, nothing else.

agree with therm on the parasite hex in recruit. its a distraction and the code to spawn parasite instead of bbq probably an additional trigger.
  10. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

• Zombie Cows
    • Sheep event at the Mineshaft (something I've never liked because it teaches the newbies nothing because you never encounter sheep again)
    • The Sheep spawn from Infestor Eggs
    • The BBQ hex in general (BBQ serves no purpose in high difficulty games other than to supercharge the civilian ally with Rampage and be a 8k wad of hitpoints to throw at problems)
    • John Anderton
    • Faricia Augustin
    • Kenny
    • Pretty much every cutscene
    • The two hexes over by the crashed colonist transport that's near Comms Tower that as far as I know don't do anything
    • The hex by the stripper hologram near Mining Co
    • The Comms Tower communication log easter egg
    • Making Survival's spawn point non-randomized (my suggestion would be Helipad)
    • THE GRAVITY GUN.
    • Charlie in Easy Company. The "you're in violation" event adds nothing.
    • Charlie in Apollo Sec. Instead of her having to reach a certain amount of hitpoints and then give the humans a lengthly introduction, she can be invulnerable like Bergmann from Alpha and trigger the bonus exp when "found".
    • The mini's leveling bars (if it takes script)
    • The soundclips that play during Survival
    • Chem Leak (Mostly because nobody goddamn does it because it's either a waste of time or suicide on NM)
  11. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

The ship by Comms is what I meant by the Slasher Ship. In Alpha Company you get something like 8 civilians out of it and a bunch of Slashers spawn in Lag Forest. Thus most teams don't even bother with it due to the nature for Lag to troll you in there with a Slasher, and Legion of Merit is almost never gone for in Alpha Company. And if your team is on the ball and well built it's possible to get Legion of Merit without them.
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Also thinking that since you got Irvine and Co. Now, you can just up and remove Ogilvy from Newbie Mode. That should save a bit of code anyway. Especially since they're supposed to be the tippers anyway.

Might take out the Chems Leak Mission as well. It's seldom done and just doesn't really add any value to the storylines that I can see.
  13. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Thanks.

I've also be optimizing the structure of a lot of trigger actions (those actually can take up more script than individual content elements). A lot of old NOTD code was done when we had little of our knowledge gained today.
  14. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

You can remove the Heroic Horror effect since it is the same for all now
  15. Yuey
    • Warden

Yuey Warden

Would removing -em mode make a difference?
  16. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

We talked about that over Skype, I would certainly be in favor of removal
  17. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Glad to hear you're reworking some of the old code. I know that's something guys used to talk about quite a while ago. Saying that the code needed to be streamlined and quite a bit of it was overly complex.
  18. Thermidor

Thermidor Well-Known Member

Agreeing with Yuey with the removal of easy mode if it does use up space. Hardly anyone plays that mode.
  19. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Also agree, no one bothers with em, its so boring, and consequentially, I bet most newer players don't even know it exist.
  20. TuRKeYMaN

TuRKeYMaN Member

-Apollo starting civilians and Lt.Sheng plus their text