Arc's Concept Workshop

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by ArcturusV, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

For those who don't know, waaaaaaay back on the Old Board I would come up with various concept classes and the like. Unlike the Troll Concept Class thing in general discussion however these are a bit more serious ideas that I wouldn't mind seeing in the game. And of course are more properly balanced for that fact than focused on being over the top and cheesy.

Despite my Black Ops status, not like this is an Official Project or anything. And me posting it doesn't mean there is some gap The Man is looking to fill that I know of. It's just an interesting exercise for me, and I wouldn't mind sharing some ideas out there.

I may revisit some of my past ideas to flesh them out a bit more and bring them up to my current standards. So don't be surprised if you see any of the following:

Mechanized Infantry
    Heavy Weapons Trooper
    Comms Officer
    Honor Guard
    Ranger
    Field Scientist
    Cyberneticist
    Partisan
    etc.

For those old enough to remember the first attempt at them.

To kick us off, we got a Weapon Concept:

C-10 Gauss Carbine

Ammo Consumption: 1 per shot
    Rarity: Common
    Base Damage: 30
    Armor Reduction: 1
    Attack Speed: .4
    Splash Radius: 1
    Range: 10
    Reload: 1.25
    Equip Time: 1
    Weapon Weight: 5

Damage Modifiers:
    vs Light: +5
    vs Psychic: +5
    vs Massive: -4
    vs Armored: -4
    vs Heroic: -4

Thoughts: Wanted something more of a "Runner" weapon. Concept wise a carbine made sense. I wanted it to be a bit longer range however than the other weapons "Runners" tend to use. Flamethrower, SMG, Pistols, Shotguns. Also wanted it to not be as effective in hold out scenarios or mowing down bosses. Thus the minus Massive, Heroic and Armored Penalties. It's not something a commando will want to use to whip down an Agron or Boss. With a relatively average fire time it should be useful in clearing out Infested Marines (And unlike other weapons that have bonuses against them, won't require you getting shot several times to get in range).

Next time... something longer.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

30 damage at 0.4 AS and 10 range?!
    5 Weight and 1.25 Reload?
    That thing would kill Infestors, Huggers, Erebos in no time and you would never need to manually reload :p

Compare to Gauss at 12 damage, 13 range, 10 weight and 2.5 or so reload with 0.6 as
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

[align=center]Want
    [​IMG][/align]
  4. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I hope you don't mind other people barging in, Arc. :D

S4 AA Missile Barrage:
    Aerial Targets Only
    Ammo Consumption: 10 per shot
    Rarity: Rare
    Base Damage: 40 x 10 (Fires 10 rockets @ 40 damage each, overlapping splash)
    + 10 vs Armored
    + 10 vs Massive
    Armor Reduction: -2 (Laser Rifle Effect)
    Attack Speed: 2.8 (The 10 rockets are fired over 1 second)
    Splash Radius: 4
    Range: 18
    Reload: 5
    Equip Time: 3
    Weapon Weight: 18

Reason: Anti-Lelantos Weapon. Not going to lie, there needs to be something to efficiently remove them without having to use a lot of man-power. It still can effectively remove a horde of Gargs as well.
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Gauss Rifle had .4 attack speed. Least it was listed as that so I used that number. 30 so its less damage (Pure) than Shotguns, Pistols, Flamethrowers, M45s. 1 Splash so it's basically good against a few ghouls coming in but too limited to be good for much beyond that.

But the idea was to have something between Pistol and Gauss Rifle, meant for people who are going to be running around alone to do things that must be done away from the rest of the team. So a standard weapon for MobCons, SubMMs, DrawingDead playing almost anything, etc.

And no, I don't mind at all.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Well yes but the premise of NOTD is to keep people together not make them split and rambo on their own.
    Stalkers and Seekers exist to punish those that do.
  7. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars:

Another reworking of the Commando's Subtlety Tree. I want to say here that the Black Ops (Including me), have already done a handful of reworkings focused on turning the Subtlety Commando into everything from First Strike masters, Super Survival Rifleman, Ninja Wannabes, and Sgt. Rocks.

This is just an attempt to match the current Theme of the Subtlety Commando, an operative who has managed to develop latent psychic potential into powerful psychic abilities through warfare. If I remember Reaper's old topic, that was in fact the official line on the talents.

Psychic Warrior:

Getting a point in a Psychic Warrior tree talent gives the Commando the "Psychic" unit type. This means they will be detected by the Psi Ops Psychic Senses, take extra damage from M5 Pulse Rifles and SMGs, reduced damage from Gauss Rifles, etc.

Tier One -

Living on the Edge: (Passive)

Latent psychic senses are tuned towards impending danger, and allow the Commando to respond to surprises with speed and lethality that other marines can't match.

When a hostile unit drops down/spawns/unburrows near the Commando they are effected by Living on the Edge. This has no effect on units that merely walk into range. Does effect units during their Unburrowing animation.

Level 1: Units appearing within range 5 of the Commando are slowed by 30% and take 50% extra damage from the Commando for 3 seconds.
    Level 2: Units appearing within range 8 of the Commando are slowed by 60% and take 75% extra damage from the Commando for 5 seconds.
    Level 3: Units appearing within range 11 of the Commando are slowed by 90% and take 100% extra damage from the Commando for 7 seconds.

Note: ... nooooo... this ability is in no way inspired by my hatred of troll spawns...

Winds of Limbo: 20 Energy, 12 second duration, 10 second cooldown.

The Commando's budding Psychic Senses were overwhelmed by the carnage he experienced before learning to control his abilities, but with experience and discipline he's learned to tap into the psychic energy death and carnage creates.

Self Buff, enemy Debuff (See below). Triggers when the Commando kills a unit himself. Enemies nearby are effected by the status "Winds of Limbo".

Level 1: Enemies in range 1 of a kill are effected by Winds of Limbo. Units with Winds of Limbo on them take an additional 10% damage from attacks (20% from Abilities).
    Level 2: Enemies in range 2 of a kill are effected by Winds of Limbo. Units with Winds of Limbo on them take an additional 20% damage from attacks (40% from Abilities). Units killed while under Winds of Limbo restore 2 health to the killer.
    Level 3: Enemies in range 3 of a kill are effected by Winds of Limbo. Units with Winds of Limbo on them take an additional 30% damage from attacks (60% from Abilities). Units killed while under Winds of Limbo restore 4 health to the killer.

Tier Two -

Scars on the Inside: 10 energy, 10 second duration, 20 second cooldown.

A shell shocked veteran with barely understood psychic powers have made for a very dangerous, and very disturbed individual. The Commando can psychically recall his trauma in order to draw upon greater power than he could willingly use during a rational moment.

Self buff. Replaces "Attack" with "Psychic Lash". Cannot Autoattack with Psychic Lash, each attack must be manually targeted. Psychic Lash takes 5 energy per attack.

Level 1: Psychic Lash deals 150 damage to the target, single target only. Each enemy killed by Psychic Lash adds 25 damage to subsequent Lashes. Psychic Lash deals double damage to Psychic enemies.
    Level 2: Psychic Lash deals 300 damage to the target, single target only. Each enemy killed by Psychic Lash adds 50 damage to subsequent Lashes. Psychic Lash deals triple damage to Psychic enemies.

Tides of Madness: 45 energy, 8 second duration, 15 second cooldown.

The horrors of war are no longer for the Commando himself. He is able to project the maddening experiences he has seen onto his decidedly less scarred enemies to deal with in a tide of sudden experiences that overwhelms even the hardiest of minds.

Effects enemies within range 12 of the Commando. Heroic units are immune to the aggression changing effect on Tides of Madness or loss of Detection.

Level 1: Enemies effected by Tides of Madness lose the ability to Charge and have a 30% chance to miss with each attack. Enemies effected by both Tides of Madness and Winds of Limbo have a 20% chance to turn hostile to everything.
    Level 2: Enemies effected by Tides of Madness lose the ability to Charge or Detect and have a 60% chance to miss with each attack. Enemies effected by both Tides of Madness and Winds of Limbo have a 40% chance to turn hostile to everything.

Tier Three -

Sliding Into Hell: Toggle. Drains 5 health per second.

The commando drives his mind and body beyond the threshold of human endurance by the psychic equivalent of brute force. The strain will slowly kill the commando, and the closer to death he reaches, the more powerful his abilities become.

Self Buff. Abilities gained by Sliding Into Hell increase when he is at 80%/50%/0% health remaining. The effects listed by level are absolute, they do no stack with previous levels.

Level 1 (80% or Greater Health): Increases the area of effect on Winds of Limbo by 1 range. Enemies effected by Living on the Edge take 100% extra damage. Psychic Lash deals an extra 50 damage.
    Level 2 (50% to 80% Health): Increases the area of effect on Winds of Limbo by 2 range. Enemies effected by Living on the Edge take 100% extra damage. Psychic Lash gains 2 Radius Area of Effect.
    Level 3 (0% to 50% Health): Increases the area of effect on Winds of Limbo by 3 range. Enemies effected by Living on the Edge take 100% extra damage. Psychic Lash gains 4 Radius Area of Effect. 100% chance for Non-Heroic enemies effected by Winds of Limbo and Tides of Madness to turn hostile to everything.

Well, have fun. I don't think this will necessarily get used. But it was kinda fun to come up with. I'm sure people will think it's either too weak/gimmicky or too damned OP. Could need balancing but the Concept was the important thing to me.
  8. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I like that replacement tree for submando, the only problem is that it's almost too like opmando because of the self buffs and I believe we want to rework sub into a more supporting role.

Also, I think the type is psionic not psychic, but your concepts are really good!
  9. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Thanks. Not sure if it's Psionic or Psychic. But everyone knows what I meant, so plus side on that! Huzzah!

I know the focus on our discussions have been Ops (Solo) Other Tree (Team). But I thought it was worth taking a stab at making something also self oriented, and after all it's hard to make "Burgeoning Psychic" into a team player. And that was the concept I was running with.

I suppose I could have made it more team oriented by "Team Based Psychic" seems a bit too Psi Ops.
  10. Sazier

Sazier New Member

I put this in the Sub Mando and Bosses thread, but it runs similar to Arc's build due to the whole psychic thing; so here it is. I tried to make mine more team oriented, but I think he's a little OP.

Tier 1

Heightened Senses - Unchanged, its a good tier 1 skill and fits.

Focusing Presence - Allies near the Commando (NOT including him) gain a passive buff for every 10 seconds they are in his presence.

Level 1 - After 10 seconds a 5% increase in damage, attack speed, and move speed in a 3 radius.

Level 2 - After 20 seconds a 10% increase in damage, attack speed, and move speed in a 5 radius.

Level 3 - After 30 seconds a 15% increase in damage, attack speed, and move speed in a 7 radius.

Quote," There's a drumming noise inside my head that starts when your around......"

Tier 2

Death Breath - The Commando tears his enemy's mind apart with the wildly savage force of his uninhibited psychic powers; this temporarily disables the commando.

Level 1 - The Commando can unleash this power every 20 seconds, and it deals fatal damage to a single non heroic enemy. Slows heroic enemies affected by heightened senses by 70% for 2 seconds. Disables Commando for 1 second afterward. Uses 30 energy.

Level 2 - The Commando can unleash this power every 10 seconds, and it deals fatal damage to a single non heroic enemy. Slows heroic enemies affected by heightened senses by 70% for 4 seconds. Disables Commando for .5 seconds afterward. Uses 30 energy.

Quote,""Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark places where it leads."

Infinite Potential - Having gained his powers through combat it is unknown how far the depths of his power reach, but not being born with it leaves his body in a state of rejection so he will never truly be able to control his strength.
    The Commandos Psychic field grows in strength and this has.....unintended consequences.

Level 1 - The Commando releases a psi-pulse in 7 radius that amplifies the affects of Focusing Presence for affected allies. They gain 90% damage and 60% evasion for 5 seconds. Uses 30 energy. (Cool down 20 seconds)

Level 2 - The Commando releases a psi-pulse that amplifies the affects of Focusing Presence for affected allies. They gain 150% damage and 80% evasion for 8 seconds. Also any enemies caught in the pulse are dealt 125 damage and damages is doubled if they are affected by Heightened Senses. Uses 30 energy. (Cool down 15 seconds)

Quote,"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."

Tier 3

Pandora's Box - The Commando lets his mind be one with the psychic plain and releases a torrent of emotion and rage drawing on all the horrors hes seen and lived.

For 10 seconds Hell breaks loose. Enemies in a 50 radius gain 200% damage and attack the closest living thing (All enemies includes heroic). Non heroic enemies affected by Heightened Senses lose 90% life. Allies lose 33% move speed and unless under the affects of Focusing Presence lose 60% attack speed. Uses 50 energy. (Cool Down 1-Minute)

Quote,"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a long minute, and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
  11. Archangel

Archangel Well-Known Member

hmmm, the idea of having an Air only weapon is intriguing. Considering that the "Stinger" is Air-Craft elimination irl but we use it to target soft targets along with armored targets in the game.
  12. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Peera brought up an AA only weapon long ago, before the SMG was added. Ability immediately shot down the notion, sighting it as "too niche." Just saying.
  13. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

New Concept Class.

More of a "Flavor" thing than a Function based class. Wanted to take a stab at a Survivor Class without any real idea of what I wanted it to be when I started.

Survivor: A civilian member of the Apollo Colony who had managed to avoid infestation. He isn't a hardlined rebel, criminal, or retired marine. However he's been smart enough, fast enough, and intimately familiar enough with his hometown to avoid rampaging AI, Mad Scientists, slobbering hordes of undead, and highly trained special ops teams.

Possible Storyline: Apollo Security Team would be the only place where it would possibly make sense. I'm not even going to hazard a guess at a replacement for anything. Also as a "Survival Mode Only" class.

Base Stats:
    HP: 180
    HP Regen: 0.35
    Base Armor: 0
    Shields: 1
    Shield Regen: .2
    Shield Armor: 0
    Base Energy: 90
    Energy Regen: 1.4
    Sight Range: 10
    Movespeed: 2.45
    Weight Class: Light
    Inventory Slots: 6
    Modification Slots: 2

Innate Abilities:

Familiar Ground: Apollo is always revealed on the minimap (No black area), however Fog of War remains.
    Armor Less: The Survivor is not a UGC Marine, and as such lacks UGC issued Power Armor. They have only 1 shield point.
    Scrounged Weapon: Starts game with either a Gauss Pistol (50% chance), Gauss Rifle (30% chance), M45 Marksmanship Rifle (10% chance), or Mk-3 Flamethrower (10% chance).

Left Tree: Avoidance

Tier 1 -

Shuck and Jive: (Active and Passive) 10 Energy, 10 second duration, 20 second cooldown.

Level 1: The Survivor can quickly dodge around Infested and Marines, able to weave between them in his need to escape. Infested and Marines will not block or impede the Survivor's movement. (e.g. Able to walk through things like a Colossus can walk through a mob despite being a ground unit, or Workers doing the Mineral Patch hack in vanilla SCII) Passively increases movespeed by 3%
    Level 2: Infested and Marines will not block or impede the Survivor's movement. Passively increases movespeed by 6%.
    Level 3: Infested and Marines will not block or impede the Survivor's movement. Passively increases movespeed by 9%.

"Go ahead, keep your big, bulky armor. I'll trade them for a quick mind and fast legs any day."

Duck and Cover: Passive Talent

Level 1: Survivor takes 20% less damage from Splash Attacks or Area of Effect attacks.
    Level 2: Survivor takes 40% less damage from Splash Attacks or Area of Effect Attacks.
    Level 3: Survivor takes 60% less damage from Splash Attacks or Area of Effect Attacks.

"Um... yeah... I'll be right behind you. Good luck with that."

Tier 2 -

Hiding Spot: 20 Energy, 15 second cooldown.

Level 1: The Survivor is cloaked for 15 seconds. Moving or firing will cancel the cloak.
    Level 2: The Survivor is cloaked for 15 seconds and has triple the normal health regeneration rate. Moving or firing will cancel the cloak.

"We should be safe here for a minute."

Scramble: (Passive)

Level 1: While sprinting the Survivor has a 30% evasion chance.
    Level 2: While sprinting the Survivor has a 60% evasion chance.

"SQUIRREL TACTICS!"

Tier 3 -

I Know a Place: 50 Energy, 1 minute cooldown.

Survivor marks a 6 radius location which must be at least 25 distance away from the Survivor. Allies (Including the Survivor) who are within that location for the next 2 minutes gain +1 Health Per Second, Infested will not spawn in that location nor will MEATeorites drop.

"Just trust me, alright?"

Right Tree: Scavenging

Tier 1 -

Looting: 30 energy, 45 second cooldown.

Can only be used while standing on a hex.

Level 1: 50% chance to recover 20 HP. 30% chance to spawn 1 magazine (1, not a stack of 3), 20% chance to spawn 1 Bandage (1, not a stack of 2).
    Level 2: 40% chance to recover 20 HP. 30% chance to spawn 1 magazine, 20% chance to spawn 1 bandage, 10% chance to spawn 1 medkit (1, not a stack of 3).
    Level 3: 35% chance to recover 20 HP. 30% chance to spawn 1 magazine, 20% chance to spawn 1 bandage, 10% chance to spawn 1 medkit, 5% to spawn a stack of 5 Anti-venom.

"What?! They don't need it anymore!"

Waste Nothing: (Passive)

Level 1: With a Perfect Reload you have a 2% chance to add one magazine to your inventory. With a Manual Reload you have a 4% chance.
    Level 2: With a Perfect Reload you have a 3% chance to add one magazine to your inventory. With a Manual Reload you have a 6% chance.
    Level 3: With a Perfect Reload you have a 4% chance to add one magazine to your inventory. With a Manual Reload you have a 8% chance.

"You gonna throw that out? There's still perfectly good shells in it!"

Tier 2 -

Pillage: 15 Energy, 5 second cooldown.

Single target on Neutral Objects only, uses range of the equipped weapon. Will instantly destroy an object with no HP.

Level 1: If the target is destroyed, it detonates dealing 150 damage and stuns for 2 seconds in a radius 3 blast. (Can Friendly Fire)
    Level 2: If the target is destroyed, it detonates dealing 300 damage and stuns for 4 seconds in a radius 3 blast. (Can Friendly Fire)

"I seem to have burned and destroyed my podium."

Hoarder: (Passive)

Level 1: Reduces weight penalty to .0005 per weight point.
    Level 2: Reduces weight penalty to .0004 per weight point.

"What do you mean "Pack Light"?"

Tier 3 -

Necessity: 50 Energy, 1 minute cooldown.

Range 5 ability, single target on Objects only. Does not work on H3 Canisters.

Creates a duplicate of target object cobbled together from improvised materials that they Survivor can deploy at will. A single object is Copied and replaces Necessity on the command card. That object can be placed anywhere within range 5 of the Survivor, and when done will start the talent's cooldown. Includes equipment such as Magazines, weapons, equipment modifications, etc (Not units). Stacked items only provide a single copy (Copy an Ammo Box which has 15 magazines in it will only provide an Ammo Box with 1 magazine in it). Only one Necessity Copy can be in play at a time.

"You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with fear, determination, and a roll of duct tape."

Just a fun class. Some neat ideas I wouldn't mind.
  14. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

It's interesting as a class that's all about surviving as opposed to getting kills. I think an innate that increased his XP gain rate by a substantial amount would be appropriate, considering that two maxed trees wouldn't be gamebreaking. I can imagine an all Survivor run devolving into hilarity. However, ultimately, the class lacks a real impact on game balance like the other classes do, so I'm not sure this should be added, even as a joke class.

Then again, we have -makemegeneral...
  15. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yeah. Not as happy with the Scavenger Tree. And would need some XP gain buff like the Medic or Recon. Maybe the Avoidance Tree could see a place in a Survival Mode team as a pure runner. But yeah. It's not very "broken". I mean the most broken thing you could really do is maybe clone a PAR or something.

Either way, it was interesting to come up with. And maybe I'll recycle some of the ideas later in some shape as things come up on more "serious" projects.

EDIT: Like how I just suggested that the Survivor's "MobHack" on Shuck and Jive on the Pathfinder's Full Throttle. I reuse ideas a lot. /shameless
  16. Arturia

Clone Dat Shiva plox.

EDIT: I wanna see Shiva Madness in Survival Mode NAO!
  17. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Talk about Ratings Tank. It's what, -20 everytime you fire one? You can make one a minute at tier three at best. (Presuming you never accidentally fire the original one)

Shiva say, 15 waves for -300 rating?
  18. Arturia

Persues can Die now.
  19. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Hahahahaha no it can't.
  20. Arturia

8 Shiva's should take most anything out (240k damage)