Any network wizards out there?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyanden, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Lyanden

Lyanden Well-Known Member

I have been suffering from an intermittent connection for several days now.

A short session of google-fu shows that the ideal downstream Plevel (at least for my modem's model) should be either +15 or -15 indicating that perhaps there is a problem with the local wiring and not the ISP. Am I correct in assuming this and be justified when we demand the cable personnel who are arriving in 3 hours to crawl through the ducts to find said "kink"?

Signal To Noise Ratio 33.6 dB
    Downstream Power Level -9.1 dBmV
    Upstream Power 47.4 dBmV

Short section from the modem's logs
    2013-01-10 04:41:23 3-Critical I002.0 REG RSP not received
    1970-01-01 00:01:41 3-Critical D001.0 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
    1970-01-01 00:01:28 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    1970-01-01 00:01:11 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
    1970-01-01 00:01:10 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    1970-01-01 00:01:06 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
    1970-01-01 00:01:06 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
    1970-01-01 00:00:09 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets
    2013-01-10 04:39:25 6-Notice M573.0 Modem Is Shutting Down and Rebooting...

Pings also frequently time out.

Also, I am amused by how the modem's log dates sometimes display that it is 1970.
  2. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

First off, network guru = Shooz, he should be able to help.

Second, the 1970 year is the beginning of the Unix Epoch, all time kept on nearly all computers are stored as simply the number of seconds from 1/1/1970. Just a little factoid, the date is not arbitrary, it also will cause its own variant of Y2k in about 25 years, I can elaborate elsewhere.
  3. squish

squish Well-Known Member

2013-01-10 04:39:25 6-Notice M573.0 Modem Is Shutting Down and Rebooting...

Could be your modem if that keeps cropping up. Have a look at your logs and see if there's a lot of occurring incidents of that type.
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

You are reading it the wrong way round. It starts with him rebooting his modem.
  5. Lyanden

Pretty much, yeah.
  6. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

Have you cleaned all of the physical connections? There may also be a short on your modem. Is there a smell of burnt plastic about it? Also, with checking physical connections, replacing the wire used may be a good idea. Calling a tech is a step in the right direction.
    [hr]
    The first step you should always consider when dealing with any networking issue, your physical connections back to your next third party layer two device.
  7. Lyanden

Thank you for the responses.

The wire guys finished their analysis last night.

Things are apparently in good working order when dealing with the cables going into the house. The problem arises after things hit the splitter. From there on, things appear to go wonky which makes their primary suspect something among the internal wiring in the house itself.

Unfortunately, they say isolating the specific "faulty section" would involve tearing down some walls which makes sense as they would want physical access to the lines. Obviously, this is a prospect my dear father is not very keen with.

I feel the best solution may be to simply abandon the current lines running within the structure of our home and have a new one installed. One that will sacrifice aesthetics for function as it will be external/running along wall+floor. Cheaper than tearing down and rebuilding the walls for sure. Would also make future check-ups easier.
  8. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Have you tried just replacing the splitter? It could be a bad one or have bad compression on it, because when my house had a network upgrade they had to replace the splitters with higher compression (or something) to deal with the increased badnwidth.
  9. Lyanden

I will take into consideration. Thanks brah
  10. Shooz
    • Donator

Another thing you may want to consider is that there is no other wires that may cause cross-talk or attenuation between them. Whether these wires be carrying an electrical current or other data. Separating wires is always best practice.
  11. Lyanden

My father did mention that all the wires that relayed communications/signals (telephone/cabletv/cable internet) all went through the same pathing within the walls (I imagine them to be bundled). How do you address that then? Isolate each to run their own different directions? Are there materials that can be used to wrap each to prevent such from occurring?
  12. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

Usually there aren't materials that are used to wrap wires, usually you just use shielded versions of the wires.
  13. Shooz
    • Donator

Exactly what Mirage said. Shielded wires were created to prevent that. They don't prevent it wholly but it still is a considerable difference.