Ammo Stacking Bug - Short Term & Long Term Fixes

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'll let AP share more, but here's a brief intro to what we propose to do. Want to have a discussion here before we implement this. Any violent objections?

Short-Term
    When dropping magazines, they drop to ground rather than inventory. This reduces the invalid stacking issue which generates additional magazines. It will be a minor inconvenience because players will need to manually pick up dropped mags, but the benefit (reducing exploits) would be worth the cost.

Long-Term
    Move to a default SC2 inventory system (current one is trigger based). Way back when NOTD was created, the default SC2 inventory system wasn't powerful enough to meet NOTD's needs so we used a trigged-based inventory utility library. The default SC2 inventory system today (after several upgrades from Blizzard) should now be powerful enough to fulfill at least 90% of NOTD's needs. It will also be faster, reduce trigger usage and have less bugs.

This transition work will take at least 1 month of effort, and even then there would likely be at least 2-3 more months of tweaking to close out any unforeseen issues. The inventory system is the most inter-linked mechanic in NOTD, it links to several areas like items, talents and stats.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I'm interested in what functionality would be lost and how the equipped subinventory would be implemented.
    I'm ok with the short term functionality. Would this fix the issue with ammo boxes stacking into each other though? (Pick up a box while you have a box and the picked up box disappears)

What about the other issue with stack counts not updating?
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

I'll need AP's help to answer this further. Basically, after SC2 1.5, some fundamental logic in the way inventory was managed changed slightly so what worked well before in NOTD's trigger-based inventory stopped working as intended.

My concerns on the default SC2 system is whether we can pick up all events and actions. To list a few:
    - Weapon switch time
    - Weight point system interaction
    - Custom items like Shiva/Gravity Gun affecting action bar buttons
    - Using inventory/equipment on leavers
  4. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

This fix would not fix the display issue, nor would it fix multiple ammo boxes stacking and disappearing.

As for building the data based inventory, going to do that on separate copy (Not live version) of NotD map and have to experiment a bit to make sure it will work.
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

The primary change in 1.5.0 to my best understanding was that our inventory didn't consider itself full anymore when full.

I.e. previously having a full inventory and a 3 stack medkit wouldn't allow you to pick up another kit without dropping stuff. Now you can stack by clicking the item on the ground as if you had a space, but stack count won't update.

/
    Interesting points Ability - For replacing attack button I'm not sure it will allow it. I could envision (and that'd be problematic due to space) greyed out sections on the command card that activate if you carry a given item (would work for bandage) or alternatively directly used from inventory (though that circumvents switch time and allows firing other stuff concurrently). At least I haven't seen another map replace a command card icon by inventory as of yet.

Leavers, again not sure as other maps tend to just remove the leaver character. I imagine it might not work though since the inventory part is usually stuck to your primary rather than each unit having their own. This may also pose a problem with Reaper drone.

Switch time should be doable.
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

Using items on leavers is possible, switch time is possible.

Weight system will be tricky and require trigger shenanigans, I imagine, but doable.

Dunno about ye olde gravity gunne, though.
  7. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

For Weight system, is it possible to make an Attribute and have items give a certain amount of points into this attribute if they are in the active inventory slots, with that attribute slowing down a person?
  8. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Yes it would be
  9. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Yes it would be easy to create an attribute that can be stacked and apply weight with validators dictating which MS penalty being applied (for light/med/heavy classes).

Switching time is also pretty easy, though would need triggers to alter the rate at beginning (from rating bonus or weapon mods).

I believe one can assign multiple abilities and icons to one commando card slot and use validators to dictate which one is visible and active. Will have to experiment to verify. Any item that can be equipped can be made to apply a behavior to the unit it is equipped to, which validators can be used against to see what icon used correctly.
  10. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

It will be like say STR AGI INT and only your main attribute (as determined by your weight class) reduces your ms by a given amount with items giving the same number of points towards each of the 3 attributes for simplicity
  11. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

NOTD SO does something like this with its Secondary Weapons & Heavy Weapons.