Alpha Company Rewrite (From NOTD Mood)

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Blaqk, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

NOTD needs fewer objectives and more goals. It would streamline gameplay, allow better story integration, and make the game far less confusing if instead of saying "go here" then "go here" then "go here" if random encounters, ambient spawns, and other nizbiz were fewer and the number of primary objectives were increased.

As for Alpha Company, if you want an epic storyline then make epic scenes.

[hr]

Chapter 1
    First in...

Alpha Company lands en masse to quell the infection. So little is known about what happened to Apollo that military officials suspect a hostile invasion force and moves to engage and defend their assets.

[hr]

The chapter begins with players entering a fortified starport as opposed to an empty one. Entrances are blocked by sandbags and razor wire with an entire battalion on the ground and ready to engage. Marines, Corpsmen, and Abrams tanks are on full alert at all entrances to the starport and a cadre of Marksmen guard the [Unnamed Officer] (we can come up with a name later) who plans the assault to retake Apollo. Before [Officer] can give Alpha Company their first orders, the starport is assaulted full force by the undead hordes.

[hr]

The attack on the starport should overwhelm the defenders. Extensive use of Hulks, Slashers, and Agrons is encouraged as the defenders will have considerable force, especially with Abrams tanks. On higher srs and on nm difficulty there should also be a few Brood Mothers leading the charge. Keep ghouls, parasites, mutas, and infested terran to a minimum as this assault should be about the terror of the horde, not about angry birds or other trolling enemies (NO HUGGERS!). This is sparta Alpha Company so artillery strikes and radio communications should be used liberally to try to coordinate the defense but don't go so nuts that framerate becomes an issue. Throughout the short defense, allied units should drop one-by-one and the starport will fall. When the defense breaks, [Officer] will order Alpha Company to break off and find a way to into Apollo and find out what happened before reinforcements arrive to become the next slaughter.
  2. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

RE: NOTD Mood

Expansion

A worry with this approach is making Alpha Company too sedentary. To alleviate this concern, the battle for the starport will have players running from entrance to entrance as the attackers press in. Should Alpha Company fail to hold the line at that particular entrance, the starport will be overrun too early and players will suffer a rating penalty, similar to starting the armory too late in Apollo Sec team.

I'll continue to expand as my time permits.
  3. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Alpha Company, fleeing the carnage at the starport, regroups at the Mining Colony and radios in asking for orders. They are instructed to proceed to the armory and secure any weapons and assets there. Waiting for them at the armory is Lt. Sheng and his homies. Should the team take too long to reach the armory, Sheng will be waiting outside with grim news as the entire sec team has been slaughtered and replaced with infested marines.

[hr]

From here everything will proceed as normal until the lab sequence. Most lab dialogue will continue as normal with the exception of a choice players must make.

[hr]

When Alpha Company arrives at the lab, they discover that Dr. Gunjan has been infected. Dr. Tanaka urges Alpha Company to execute Gunjan before he turns as he's infected with an advanced form of the mutation. Gunjan will beg Alpha Company not to shoot, that there is still a chance he wont turn, and that he's close to finding a cure (bluff). Alpha Company will then be faced with the tough choice of executing Gunjan to prevent him from turning, or to wait and watch.

[hr]

Either choice the players make, they will fight Cronus. If they execute Gunjan, the team suffers a global -2 karma, but no huggers will spawn during the fight. Should they wait and see, after a few seconds he will mutate into Cronus as usual. No karma is lost and huggers spawn as usual.

After Cronus, protecting Tanaka and the Gas Sequence will proceed as usual. The next change will be with Cerberus.

First, rename Cerberus. That name no longer fits as he isn't a giant dog. Thanatos is a better fit now.

I'd suggest reworking the mechanics of Cerberus/Thanatos. The whole medic hate thing is nice and all, but it doesn't really make him a terrifying boss. Instead of aggro on healing medics, try having him aggro either a) whoever has the highest apm, or b) whoever used an ability last. This would force greater team coordination with the tank smiting right after the Ops Mando hits Adrenaline/Surg or any similar situation and would make it the "nightmare battle" that it seems to want to be, as in order to kill Cerberus/Thanatos, you have to draw his wrath first.
  4. DrawingDead

DrawingDead Member

Explain how to do that with "average" channel people and tell me how it goes. Don't forget most are currently busy -praying to the porcelain god- during gas cam
  5. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Not to mention it makes a confusing boss fight even more confusing, and say a person at ec start/heliport needs to use an ability to escape, does this mean that the boss will suddenly charge half way across the map to kill that person, or can they now not use abilities for fear of dying?
  6. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Actually now that I think about it, it'd be easy to aggro lock him in a big circle by spamming cheap abilities like Focus Fire or a random 1 shell Artillery Strike.
  7. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yeah, that might be more trouble than it's worth. Interestingly enough what I think could help the "Nightmare" idea a little more is messing with the player's perceptions. And I don't mean third person over the shoulder camera work here. Harder to code... but part of me would LOVE if it hacks units so that nothing is as it appears to be.

Making all allied players look like Infested Marines or something instead of their normal appearance. Hallucination based copies of enemies on the map. Having enemies who are currently disguised as something like (Agron that looks like a Larva? Immortal that looks like an blindling?). Give players the "Madness" dialogue for their actions instead of the normal lines. Have enemy types that don't exist or shouldn't be there crossing through the scene (Erebos? Hephestus? Mear the Mini Marine?) throw in little touches like bleeding, spine tentales ripping out of the back like some scorpion tail...

I could go on.
  8. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

If we implemented this, can we get rid of the third person gas cam and just make the screen green instead? Because it might be too much if it was all added.
  9. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

This is an excellent suggestion.
  10. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

I already don't play Alpha because I don't want my failure of a computer to make people die of its slowness, and how bad it is during Vomit Cam. Adding that would make me say one or the other. I die as a result of Vomit Cam not speeding up fast enough at times (Shadow Step Marksman and your going to need a few seconds for it to catch up). I would much rather you chose some intoxicating lighting (or have it rotate through 2~4) if you do the screwing over of appearances.

If your going to add all of that (not what I mentioned, what you mentioned), I'll just wonder how badly it will rape my Computer, with Vomit Cam in addition to that. I don't use Gunship simply because of Gunship's Rotation (if it would stay still and let me click where I wanted, I would like an option for it to do that), and don't play Alpha because of Vomit Cam.
  11. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I know a few people don't play Alpha because of that camera. Woe is me, I have trouble getting games in my favorite storyline all because of that.

I think if they do take the "nightmare" steps like I've outlined we won't need the third person over the shoulder camera. But having the lighting shift between say... Green... Red (Bright, not like Survival/Apop)... Blue... and a washed out black and white filter might be a nice touch.

Getting rid of the third person camera should also make the storyline more accessible to people. Just on NA you can probably do a straw poll in channel at any time and find a good 5 or 6 people who won't run Alpha because of that segment. Considering late at night you're talking only 30 people in channel, you're talking a good 20% or so of the population who is missing out on THE BEST STORYLINE for a silly reason that might be able to be replaced by something that creates the same mood in a better manner.
  12. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Its just the slow scroll, and how hard it is to look the way you want to. I've ran straight into a group of Agrons with a Shadow-Step and died without really knowing what happened until it said an Agron had killed me, and I saw that I had stepped on a few of them (5 seconds later after my X-F F Z speeding). That Camera is the only reason I will not play Alpha. I like it, but that absolutely ruins it for me.
  13. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I find it mostly frustrating because your marine will randomly do quarter to half turns without any command being issued. So in moments where you're trying to hold a line and watch for incoming enemies you suddenly lose sight because your Flamethrower decided to randomly turn 120 degrees.

I admit I pretty much never SubMM on Alpha Company (I do so love my Flamethrower, and no one else really likes to play it, it seems) so I haven't dealt with that problem in particular. Something for The Man to look into tightening up I suppose. I just get irritated with being punished randomly for something I didn't control on those turns.