Alpha Company Discussion

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Reaper, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Doesn't really seem to be an implication that Dr. Asshat actually does anything to cure your poisoning, that he inflicted. I always just presumed it was supposed to "time out", and the timing was triggered to a Boss Defeat rather than actual time because, well, that would be fairly arbitrary and kind of annoying to deal with. I could see teams just pointlessly standing around for 3 minutes after Cerberus died to revert the camera back to it's standard style if it was like that. Or teams getting normal controls/camera during Cerberus if he took his occasional slow boat to the marines.
  2. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Q: Who finds Alpha Company easy? And I mean across all difficulties, all squad xp and rating.

I find it easy. Nightmare Mode is easier than Veteran Mode. As a matter of fact, EU finds it too easy. Proof of this is that players are more Alpha Company orientated than Easy Company and have insanely high stats early in NOTD to show for it where the normal player about 4 months or more back would have between 30xp-45xp average per game. Now even the nubiest of nubs is jumping over the 50xp average per game which is just ludicrous. You would expect players like that to be insanely good and have a natural talent at NOTD but nope, its Alpha Company their dominating.

Whilst Easy Company Veteran and Nightmare is fun to play its nowhere near as rewarding as Alpha Company as Speed Runs are guaranteed without having to even really try for it.

Take for example Cerberus. The only abilities he has is his Invulnerability and a high movespeed on all difficulties. Nothing fancy to him. Monsieur Tartarus is more a threat than our wispy friend. The effects of the gas can be ignored because honestly if someone tries to hide behind that to say the fight with Cerberus is too hard they really need to shape up.

I'll first wait for a few responses before I further go picking Alpha Company apart.
  3. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well, Stunlock too on Cerberus.

Cerberus is still the hard point of Alpha Company. Mostly because there is only one way to handle him. You have something Tank Him. Either a Flamethrower, or if you feel lucky a medium class with good defenses/heals and Reactive Armor. If you don't do this, it's GG No Re.

There's some points with troll spawns that happen. For example the Lab Holdout with Dr. Asshat. If a Brainbug appears (Has happened to me a few times), that hurts. Hard. Makes the holdout much more difficult than anything I have done in Apollo Security Team.

It has it's moments. But being mostly static hold outs, and the storyline with the most AoE Doom and DPS being thrown around (Even the designated Tank is more of an AoE Doom than a Tank) makes it easier.

There's not a whole lot of gimmicks either. You lack a serious amount of troll moments. Imagine if there was something like Mentos in Alpha Company. Say, every Titan on the field can trigger "Rise my brothers!", which summons 3 Immortals, per Titan, on random player locations. Easy Company just does Trolling harder. Black Ops, Mentos, Erebos, Queen Hordes. And Alpha Company not being Gimmick Dependent like Apollo makes it something that can be dealt with basic tactics and team compositions without any real focus on "Need X".

I wrote up an insane Alpha Company write up a little while ago to give some variation to it. Probably sitting right on page one of this topic. Some of the ideas might help. Some might be bad ideas. I tried to stick to Alpha still being the DPS storyline, but with less focus on basically just sitting in the same spot for extended periods of time.
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

The only reason people farm alpha and find it easy is because the Perses bug hasn't been fixed.
    Back when it was working for 2 weeks, we pretty much always lost people there.
  5. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Perses needs to be fixed so hard its not even funny. He's currently got more issues than any other boss doubled.
  6. Miracle
    • Development Team
    • Community Leader

Miracle NOTD Staff: Assistant of many things

Occasionally Perses stop attacking for the whole fight, getting Demolitions with random and using look on it could make Perses kill itself... What else am I missing?
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Stuns dont properly stun him, only stunning the body.
    Any stun glitches his weapons to never attack again.
    His model is both lame physically, has a broken death animation size, and has internal model errors.
    His spawn point is literally a random point on the map, meaning he can firewave long before you can fight him or react.
    Firewaves bubbles can appear in unreachable areas, such as on the other side of walls or fences. Moving bubbles can also move from safe location to unreachable places.
  8. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

His spawn isn't random on the map, it uses queen locations just like menoetes, demeter and some others do.
    He also doesn't stop attacking due to stun but after the first firewave.
    The firewave random on the map is due to it being hostile to creeps and taking damage which triggers firewave after x seconds just like infs become pregnant from bullets.
  9. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Ummmm GAS. I don't remember the last time I died in failpha that wasn't the gas sequence trolling me with bane trains, parasite worms, brain bugs, drop-pod brood mothers, or just keeping my eyes closed or half closed for most of the time.

Without the gas sequence, alpha would probably be my favorite storyline. As it is, the only thing I dislike more than alpha is the ridiculous stop-commands in MotM ruining apollo for me.
  10. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

I find Alpha Company Easy for the following reasons

1) Mostly static holdouts, and provided pretty much EVERY deadly aoe character in the game (Mando/FO/Flamer/Engie)

2) Like other Arc said, there is next to no gimmicks, everything is a pretty cut and dried, mass zombies rush team, team unleashes massive firepower and levels them, gas being the only exception.

3) Cronus is too weak. He can be stunlocked out of his lasers, and his lasering moments grant team like 3x damage vs him. Need to either lower damage bonus vs him, or make lasers unstoppable.

4) Demeter is too weak, his coccoons are more dangerous then the unit itself.

5) FO got fixed. Ironically fixing FO shocks have now made him vastly OP, he can simply shock lock every boss starting with demeter if shocks are rushed. Cerb is the only exception really. IVAX is regulary stunlocked (don't even need napalm for him) and annhilated without him getting a shot off.

6) Perses is of no threat. Even if perses were fixed, manipulating his aggro with a skilled team isn't that hard. In the end his a big flying target that has a semi nasty firewave. The only real threat during perses is the spawns, mass agrons/huggers to ruin the teams day.

Weirdly enough, the random Heph you get at start sometimes is quite possibly the hardest boss in all of Alpha.

I find this all quite ironic, given that for a time, Alpha was easily the hardest game mode, where teams always went to die in.
  11. Reaper

2 weeks of the tiny Perses bug does not even factor into 4 MONTHS OF ALPHA COMPANY. Even when he was working, Alpha was still being accomplished.

Something I would suggest for now on Alpha Company in general is that Demeter can Cliff Walk because jeez, why not? Tartarus can Cliff Walk, the Queen runs them flat out and since all Infestors also can, xept cute "nibble nibble" Charlie. In Nightmare, he spawns among the team. SUPRISE JALL!! STUNS FOR YOU!!

Be quick, stun or be stunned.
  12. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I think with a good team, the main challenges are ivax (unlucky with targeting, emp,satchel) and Perses with spawns once fixed - I remember how we were all alive and wiped there when he didn't have the attack stop bug.

Which is fine really. Cronus can be of some danger if he gets his lasers off while on creep so remains invulnerable. That's a wildcard.

Cerb is easy, but likely so that teams without a tank stand a chance of survival.

Ambient spawns are hefty and quite dangerous to stragglers.

Really just Perses needs to get fixed to make it not a free win.

Reaper: you misunderstand. Pre titan ac was dead easy. Post titan with perses attacking normally for 2 weeks was hell. Then perses stopped attacking and it became easy again if you had at least 3 people alive and sufficient dps for mass agron hugger titan and worms.
  13. Reaper

Then whats this?
  14. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

That's exactly what I said above.

Perses not attacking = bug
    Perses attacking = normal

Right now it is bugged
  15. Reaper

And I pointed out that people have been accomplishing Alpha Company for 4 months on a large scale. Activity in Alpha didn't just spike as of late, its always been high.

And even when he is working proper, still too easy even with the addition of the Titans. Alpha in general is too easy. It doesn't take long for a team to crack it and its not even an experienced team.

As ArcturusV pointed out earlier that I forgot the Stunlock by Cerberus which is true but there is 2 reasons why I didn't bring it up.
    #1 - The mechanic is bugged where he will at times stun you and no damage to you is done.
    #2 - The main and why #1 is mute is because he doesn't live long enough to be able to use it. And if he can use it, he doesn't live long enough also to be able to have a fatal effect on a player.

Cerberus' main attack is more dangerous than his Stunlock for it does promised damage and has splash.
  16. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

That is not really a bug, the reason that tends to happen is that Order Flamer having Vengeance maxed will keep Cerb semi stunlocked throughout the (brief) battle, giving him time to either outright ignore cerb or to spam like 2-3 medkits and easily tank through it.
    But yes, Cerb is easily destroyed, the entire team is present and hits him with everything, decimating his HP in no time.
  17. Reaper

No it is a bug because even without a Order Flamethrower it happens. If you are outside of Cerberus' range when he applies it you just get stunned, no damage. You hear the barking, the sound of metal creaking and all that but no damage taken. It is essentially Cerberus takes you out of action by doing the same to himself.

But then with the Flamethrower, that shouldn't happen either.
  18. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

Ahh, then the chewing/stun must have longer range then his attack or its channeled somehow, breaking his attack on you.
  19. Reaper

I know it happens because I still strongly remember the game when it happened the first time to me, I was Recon (did not have Reflexes skilled at this point before someone can claim it was a dodge) coming from the Helipad from the Airlock, took my time a bit collecting a few items along the way and when I reached the bottom gates...

Cerberus: Hello Reaper, I am your daddy!
    Me: OH FUUUUUUU!!!!
    *Immediately Holds Fire, activates Sprint and runs in the opposite direction*
    Cerberus: Let me feast on your soul!
    *NYANG KREEEEEK KREEEEEK GROWL RAAARRGGHH!! (Applies stunlock)*
    Me: I'm gonna freaking die and I cant even run. Nice one, just freaking nic. . . I'm not losing health? Health still at 207 and shields at 60? Whahaha, you suck Cerb.
    *Stunlock duration ends*
    Me: Okay, you got lucky, better run straight for Military Base, lets not let that happen again.
    *Reaches team*
    Cerberus: Oooh a Medic, let me feast on her soul!
    *Medic does not move for she was facing the other way and gets chewed to death by the stunlock*
  20. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I'm not aware of such issues with Cerberus, but if he stuns me (since I happen to be tanking him mostly regardless of class), I still take damge from his attacks. I've also never seen anyone get stunned by him without being in melee range.

As for Alpha alays having activity spikes, that isn't quite true, except if you count channel games where every newly minted 500/1000xp guy wants to play alpha because they are fed up wth EC.

In organized team NMs with aim for win and MoH, we found endless respawn immortals incredibly hard, then when that was fixed extremely pre-Titan, post titan with perses attack working it was again very hard to the extent we stopped playing AC in favor of EC. Then when his attack bugged out, we stopped playing EC altogether and farmed AC.

The difficulty pre Perses is on par with EC, though probably a bit more difficult, especially if you have lost several minis and/or do not have an "optimal" team setup. For instance playing with no Orderbat and no Rec makes AC very difficulty even now, but manageable.

We shouldn't make storylines require certain classes/trees/items to be consistently winnable. We should fix bugs first, then see if there is still a problem and address those 1 at a time rather than suggest endless "improvements" and fix bugs at same time and makeit unplayably hard.