Alpha Company Discussion

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Reaper, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

His first implementation was an Ursadak. All it did was chase you, there wasnt even a gas camera, it just split you up to the various spots around Apollo. This was back when cronus was Barney and you hit level 8 by the time demeter was dead.
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Ah must have missed that - my apologies - my first impression of Cerb was him looking like a Lyote with Gas implemented and the game usually lasted no more than 35 minutes. IVAX as marauder with red dots and the like.
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Was Perses either
    1: No AI, sat at his spawn
    2: Mind controlled because the massed Lelenthos was the only way to reliably beat Ivax.
    3: Attacked the team, but was more or less a complete joke.
  4. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I think #1 occured at that point but later on ended up being mainly #3.
    Didn't have #2 on EU at least. We kind of just spammed stun shells and stingered IVAX and prayed to the gods :p
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Titans need some sort of spawning animation and delay between spawn and attack.

We were moving on the bridge from Mining to Starport and 3 titans spawned on bridge and immediately went on a killing spree
  6. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

They have a bad habit of spawning on top of the team, I've noticed.
  7. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Needs some goddamn offsets in the spawning triggers to make sure they can only spawn X range from team. Also whats with giving them cripple, seems a quick and dirty way to "balance" them.
  8. SirGalahad

SirGalahad New Member

Titans spawning crippled can also make them harder because if you are unlucky and multiple Titans spawn crippled, they will all reach the team after Perses. This means you will be fighting Perses, Huggers, Agrons, and (crippled) Titans all at the same time, not to mention the possibility of being forced to fight Titans during Fire Waves. Without the Mini Marine DPS on the Titans, this is a very dangerous situation.

Really, in non-NM mode, it is enough to have Titans who don't charge, and won't spawn directly on top of your team. Crippled Titans just throws off the timing of the spawns.
  9. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Who agrees to the idea of the game ending in a very bad and disappointing fashion when Dr Tanaka is not found?
  10. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

It already does
  11. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

I think he meant not "It should" but "Who thinks it's a good idea".

The issue I see is that Dr. Asshat escaping =/= Clear cause of Defeat.

I mean it might be an objective failed... a Scientist who should be prosecuted for what is going on/is one of the few who really understands the situation disappears into the darkness. Sure. I get that. But how that actually ties to a Game Over necessarily doesn't make sense. Not like it is "He escapes, tells Koller you all died, and he napalm fires the entire map killing you horribly in an even more lethal version of Broken Arrow" or something. There's little reason why his escape shouldn't mean the Marines go, "Well... fuck... but we still have a job to do! BURN ALL THE UNDEAD!"

On a game level, I don't mind it.

On a Lore/Storytelling level though it doesn't make sense.
  12. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I always thought it meant the marines don't wake up from the dream. Ever.
  13. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

That doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, if it's all just a hallucination/dream and Dr. Asshat (In the Dream/Hallucination) is somehow an escape trigger to recover from it... then how come he's right next to you when you come out? Now if when the gas ended you all woke up in the Laboratory or something or at random places around Apollo City, maybe that would lend more credence to the "it's not real" angle and that somehow it's all some hallucinogenic, psychically amplified nightmare.
  14. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Certainly there are plot holes there, but overall it makes sense to be a dream that involves "sleep walking" if you will.
    Monsters pre-gas and post-gas are autokilled by trigger too, suggesting that the creeps during gas were "special" and "gas only"

I suppose the question is how do the marines know/prevent someone from escaping the dream via transport.
  15. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Pretty sure creeps from the Gas survive the end of it. As there will sometimes still be a stream of Immortals and Parasites coming in after you beat Cerberus, particularly if he shows up quickly. There's not many, and I think this might be a result of a trigger that says "When Cerberus spawns, end Special Dome Spawns". And I don't think they all die when the Gas is triggered either, it's just that there is a natural delay that lets you clear up most of the spawns before you get gassed. Random Zombies/stalkers/Agrons on my Motion Sensor tend to still be there after I get gassed, though I only can really notice it when I'm spawned at appropriate hexes close enough to keep tabs on them.

I kind of recall the lore for Cerberus back in the day being that he was a Hallucination, so I can see where it all comes from. And killing him ends the state you're under suggesting I dunno... some relation however.

Maybe it's Psychic based, and not just a chemical state inflicted? We know NOTD has Psychics. And that there must be some level of science behind it as they can classify and develop Psychics for the Black Ops program (Or create the technology to fake it). As a story, it makes a bit more sense for some Psychic Trial being overcome ending a psychically inflicted state more than it does to have you kill some random enemy to end a chemically inflicted state. Least to me.
  16. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

[​IMG]

Yeah, ArcturusV got what I was aiming at. The part where Dr Tanaka escapes is kinda like those "Pick your own story" books where you can page to another section in the book and depending on which you paged to the story will be told differently.

A: Follow the knight into the dungeon (pg. 214)
    B: Go back the way you came (pg. 120)

If you go A) the knight removes his helmet and eats you for he is a zombie.
    If you go B) the knight tries to chase you but you are fast enough to get help from a band of nearby Paladins.

But really the story doesn't have to end. In most cases when you get eaten your going to page back anyway and let the story continue because you really want the story to go on.:p

Yes Mr T escapes but the story can be told that he is intercepted by Black Ops and at the end he is with the Black Ops group that comes after Perses. The effects of the gas can last longer, a new and a complete pain in the ass boss can spawn as the effects of the gas are further intensified. The end result is a story which will be imba difficult if you fail to get to Mr T.
  17. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Or you could just stay in the vomit cam for the rest of the game (imagine fighting ivax and perses LOL).
  18. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

So why shiuld the game end if tanaka dies in lab then? Just skip cerb do path b? Same argument
  19. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Because until the gas he isn't actually bad. So noticing that he has a compliance thingy in him wouldn't tell you that the nexii are compromised.
  20. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Then again if he escapes you don't know either and you can't stop the toxins without his formula