Additional NOTD Info - Custom Game Selection in next SC2 Patch

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by Ability, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

The next patch will have additional game info when you select a custom map. What kind of game instructions and screenshots would you like to see when you click NOTD?

The upcoming 1.5 patch will be our most feature-laden patch to date. This patch represents the first steps towards the release of our first expansion for StarCraft II, Heart of the Swarm, and will include numerous upgrades and fixes throughout the game. One of the most significant additions will be the all new Arcade feature which includes improved custom game visibility, ratings, reviews, game instructions, screenshot support, and more. Patch 1.5 will also include significant improvements throughout the overall user interface, streaming support, antialiasing, editor and modding upgrades, new art tools, and more. We’ll go into further details about these features in future developer updates. In this update, I would like to provide some insight into the thinking and motivation behind a few of the upcoming changes.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/459275 ... -3_12_2012
  2. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Basic overview of what NOTD is (Single "hero", death permanent, xp and stats saved, achievements and ranks, 8 player, cooperative not pvp, multiple unlock story based)
    Initial tips for new players for what they should do when they first enter a game
    Notd channel info
    Website/forum info
    Screens:
    Fighting a medium interesting boss (not final)
    Teamwork in action
    Spell effects/explosions
    New content - Bergmann and some others gathered in a room and discussing secrets
  3. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Channel
    Wiki
    Vent
    Forum

Then for gameplay
    Reload System
    Lives System
    Ammo System
    Weapons System
  4. Shooz
    • Donator

Shooz NOTD Staff: Killjoy

+1 to this
  5. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

Also a mention of the tiered talent system and trees
  6. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay. Anyone wants to suggestion a write up and/or have sample screenshots to illustrate some mechanics? A chance for your work to be shown to all potential NOTD players. Otherwise, I'll do what I can when the new patch is released.
  7. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Is a first time tutorial possible? Because I think that should be included.

I could write this if needed
  8. Arturia

Arturia Well-Known Member

Include Class Guides from the Strategy Section inside the Tutorial Map.
  9. Shooz
    • Donator

I'd like to see one of the following people try this due to their creativity.

Lock
    PeerawatZ
    Nicarco
    Blaqk

If any of you would write up that for ability, take a screenshot of what he's looking for. It's more than likely only going to be around the size of a small paragraph but, needs to let the Bnet community know what the NOTD community is bringing to the table for it's players.
  10. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Yay! I'm recommended for something. :D
    Anyway, I'm running low graphic so I don't think it's a good idea for me to take screenshots, but I'll see what I can write.
  11. Shooz
    • Donator

Sounds good.
  12. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Hit me up for graphics, I can Screen whatever you need (Running on maxed out settings with AA, so should look good)
  13. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Here's a preliminary bit of writing about the basic mechanics of NOTD. Tell me if you want it to be more instructional and less flavor text like (or just shorter).

Welcome to Apollo recruit. Welcome to the real world.

A long time ago, the finest minds in the UGC came together to create a guidebook for new UGC marines. We found that the fatality levels from being unadjusted to the real world were too high for marines fresh out of UGC virtual academy. Ten years ago, we met again, shrinking down the guidebook to ten points. Memorize these well recruits, it might just save your life.

1. Do not die. If you do you're not coming back.
    2. Load your weapons. Can't shoot things with no bullets.
    3. Switch your armament. What you use is not set in stone.
    4. Use your talent points ("B"). That's all you get for killing enough to level up.
    5. Stick to one tree. This is a world where specialization is better than generalization.
    6. Work together. Teamwork is the key to survival against overwhelming odds.
    7. Be ready for objectives. These things are marked as hexes by your HUD.
    8. You will be promoted if you have enough xp. Promotions mean a higher rank, more stat points, and more unlocked features.
    9. Every class has a unique innate ability. Some can be activated from your marine actions ("X").
    10. For more advanced tactics and to meet the community, go to the forum at notdstarcraft.com/forum.

Short enough for you?
  14. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Looks great. It may be a bit too long, I'll time myself reading it later. How long do we expect a player to spend reading about a game (even if the description is as interesting as this)?

Also, would be nice if you mentioned knife, sprint, antivenom, etc.
  15. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

I did try to include everything and take out as much as I can lorewise while still making it interesting. I'll see what I can do.
  16. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Also, maybe add to part 9 that a victory will result in 70-80 xp.
  17. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Nicarno, it needs to be more concise for a game summary maybe - imagine reading a game preview or an Apple Store app description. Try to have the total text to 500+ words (the one above is around 1,000). The text should ideally sync with 3-5 select screenshots on key features.

May also recycle some content here: http://www.notdstarcraft.com/notdbasics.htm
  18. Nicarco
    • Warden
    • Donator

Nicarco Warden

Ok, I've made it shorter. I'll see if the screenshots fit.