About the early game tips

Discussion in 'NOTD Discussion' started by squish, May 3, 2012.

1. squish

squish Well-Known Member

So... I did a new bank today, and some of the early game tips pre-tart, while what I could tell, the vast majority of them proc... Some are too fast to even read.
  2. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

RE: [ATTN Kithrixx] About the early game tips

*fistshake* All my work!

Considering the length of some of the tips I crafted, I'd prefer if they stayed up for about 45 seconds (real time, not bizarro time that the game uses). Gives you time to read even if you're busy going around in Panic Mode.
  3. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

That's for me. I'm largely fine with increasing the duration from current. Any other thoughts?
  4. squish

squish Well-Known Member

No offense intended. :) It's just that I sought out kithrixx because he's under pressure, and I thought... MOAR PRESSUR! MOAR! (naw jk, i just believe he'd be the one to push a fix through the quickest)
    edit: gawd everyone important's on atm eh?
    [hr]
    sec i'll upload the replay, maybe you'll be able to tell which tip needs lengthening maybe not. hope it helps either way

[attachment=888]
  5. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Squish, looking a the tips and playing from the Mindset of a fresh faced recruit who has, well, the logic that the Gods gave us in order to exist as human beings... was there anything so OMG WTF TERRIBLE out of nowhere that you couldn't fathom a newbie getting it?

And were the tips placed in such a way that it wasn't a "... well that would have been nice 5 minutes ago" like how the old "Tip: Use Flamethrowers on these" was during the Civilian Rescue... after you just got done fighting Hulks for about 5 minutes.
  6. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Lord NiteShade NOTD Staff: Wiki Founder/TeamSpeak Admin

Since two APs drop at the military base, thats a good time to give a basic tip mentioning how ammo mods function and how to distribute them. Also a good time to reinforce flamethrower > mobs.
  7. squish

squish Well-Known Member

uhm.. on the way to either epsilon or military... forget which, there was one about the flamer that was like .8 seconds. eidetic memory allowed me to read it at the time, but i forget now. =p anywho, i feel that the tips about menoetes worms could be a little more in the face, and more often, but meh.
    [hr]
    and also... who the fuck is gonna know where the military base is. there needs to be a screen flash that directs the eyes to the map, then repeated pinging for <250 xp
    [hr]
    and arc: that tip was for the hulks that burst forth like the chestbursters from aliens from the colonists.
  8. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

For once, I'm not responsible for things. But, yes, I agree that tips could use a longer staying time.
  9. squish

squish Well-Known Member

*rage* KITH WHAI YOO BRAKE GAEM LIEK YOO DO?
    please don't ban me?
  10. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

I can assure you, Kithrixx does not touch the editor.
  11. squish

squish Well-Known Member

by the way... notd just broke. big time broke. join game, game start, game over.
  12. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Well, I know back when I made the tips I did mention the Flamethrower>Mobs.

And I wish for the love of all that is holy and righteous in an Order Flamethrower way that we would stop calling it Military Base. NOTHING in game I have ever seen refers to it as such. Calling it that in a tip when nothing else does just leads to silly, stupid, unnecessary confusion. And part of the reason I did my Newbie Guide: Apollo Tour thing.

The tip about enemy armor, Flamethrower ignoring armor, and Gauss Rifle getting gimped by armor that I made needs to start when the Airlock is opened. If newbies are going to get rolled by Hulks it'll be at the Airlock, not at the Civilian Rescue. xP
  13. Ryan III

Ryan III Well-Known Member

i agree, the tips need to be slowed down, i had recently watched my brother play notd and he always asks me where the f**k is the miltary base i'm stuck in the startport etc
  14. squish

squish Well-Known Member

5char. LOL
  15. Lord NiteShade
    • Wiki Founder
    • Community Leader

Apollo Starport Immigration & Military Facility

Thats the technical name. I suppose Military Base stuck because with, landpads, dead soldiers, and guns, thats what we all originally assumed thats what it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.
  16. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

Yeah. I mean anyone who's been around a long time knows what it is.

But when the game itself says things like "Investigate Starport", "Activate IVAX at Starport", "Proceed to Starport to meet up with reinforcements", etc then you have one random tip say "Military Base", you gotta expect confusion.
  17. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Blaqk NOTD Staff: Bugs, Pugs, and Scruggs

18. ArcturusV

ArcturusV New Member

.... I am quite pissed at myself for not remembering that.

Though I seem to recall the objective itself up in the corner says "Proceed to Starport" or so. xP
  19. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

Well, it is thrown in with a wall of text that no one reads. Even I don't read it, I just happen to notice things.
  20. Blaqk
    • Development Team
    • Webmaster/Liaison

So I just solo'd an easy company without my bank and, no surprise, the game is completely unwinnable without strong teamwork and experience.

I won, but that's because I had to actually get srs.

My plan was this:

1) Remove bank
    2) Do nothing until the game tells me I can
    3) Use no established holdouts

I completely threw #2 out the window when I got past the Starport before I was told I could pickup any items. I technically failed #3 when I used my own Black Ops holdout spot at the end.

Recruit mode should be beatable with no prior experience. However, I had to use Road Flares at several moments just to stay alive, weapon guidance is laughable at best, and you're never once told to pick up ammo or Road Flares/Thermals. Erebos 1 was particularly stupid as kiting him was made difficult by the fucking Mutalisk spawns which should not exist in that battle during a recruit game.

I have a dozen other griefs and a replay which I will post after a nap. I'm too sleepy to think clearly.