A "Luck" Stat

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kith, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ArcanePariah
    • Development Team
    • Map Developer

ArcanePariah Miracle Worker

Could just lock stats upon completion of mining camp, would be indicated by the ping and creation of objective to investigate military base, would be a consistent and easily identifiable point in the game for locking stats.
  2. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Kith NOTD Staff: Anti-Fun Wizard Skeleton

I really doubt people would take the time to do this. Even if they did, I think the chance would be waaaaaaaaaay too small to be significant.

I personally feel that "Luck" fits just fine. "Battlefield luck" is one of those things that soldiers often believe in, especially footmen such as the regular Army and the Marines. Battlefields during war are often complete chaos, so someone living by the skin of their teeth is actually a semi-common occurrence.

"If luck is the battlefield’s final arbiter — the wild card that can trump fitness, training, teamwork, equipment, character and skill — then Lance Cpl. Ryan T. Mathison experienced its purest and most welcome form." ~C.J. Chivers

Stories like these are all over the place. Most go unreported (the whole "knock on wood" or "jinxing it" superstition), but they happen a lot. Being someone who has commonly been around those who live military lifestyles, I know people with tons of these stories. My father's friend J.T. often said "No matter what happens, you can always count on pure dumb luck screwing up something somewhere" and that's incredibly true.

I'll not object if we decide that Luck is not in the spirit of NOTD, but I chose that term for a reason.
  3. Reaper

Reaper Moderator/The Crimsonrine

Oh they do this, they do this. Before reaching the point in the game before the stats lock "Everyone restatted?" "stats everyone?" And it only takes 15 seconds to do it which is not a loss in any way for it is completely regained by the extra talent that you receive. When Intelligence still gave the chance this was abused by just about any class.

And I see a repeat of this happening again if its left alone
  4. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

'Kay. Then we make stats lock earlier. For EC, when the players arrive at Milbase. For AC, when Sheng's boys show up. For AS... I figure waiting until rescue is fair, and for Survival, waiting until Wave 5 is more than fair.
  5. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Make it possible to change stats during character selection screen. Lock stats upon character selection.
  6. Ghost
    • Warden

Ghost Warden

I don't think EC needs to lock any earlier than it does already. It currently locks when Military Base holdout mission completes. Locking it any earlier tends to hut new players disproportionately as they still need to learn assigning stats.

Unless we can even make stats not lock in Recruit?
  7. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Actually, we can circumvent new players getting hurt by this by writing in a trigger that forces unspent Stat points into Strength, Endurance, Agility, ect. Just going down the list of Strength/Endurance/Agility/Perception/Intelligence goes from least technical to most technical, and the additional hitpoints being gained from Strength (or even Endurance, if they're unaware for THAT long) on unawares newbies will help them survive longer. Of course, if newbies read the hints/are taught about stat points, they can do something more to their liking. This is reminiscent of -aca from Aftermath, a system that issued automatic flee commands to Privates who were attacked (essentially doing the kiting for them).
  8. HipHopDragon
    • Warden

HipHopDragon Warden

I actually like the idea of letting players choose their stats on character selection. It would be a much clearer way and would make people more aware of changing them if need be. And it would allow people to change into luck before their cp level incase they played a class where they wanted to distribute their stats differently last game without giving them a penalty in the next.
  9. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

I don't. I think it's way too narrow of a window. Stuff happens too quickly in EC and AC for me to be comfortable with that.
  10. Ramses II
    • Donator

Ramses II Help, I can't change my title!

Stuff doesn't happen for a good 20-30 seconds, which is more than enough time to change your stats if you aren't busy with anything else.
  11. Ability
    • Development Team
    • NOTD Creator

Ability NOTD Creator

Okay. This is good to go. We'll keep the stat name as 'Luck' - fine rationale by Kithrixx and overall it's the most intuitive sounding name to players.
  12. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Hey guess what I forgot to do? Move this to NOTD Discussion. Better late than never, I suppose.
  13. TRINITY

TRINITY Well-Known Member

I think i got a good name for it: Endowment(related more to the double talent part but might work).
  14. Mirage
    • Donator

Mirage ಠ_ಠ What are you looking at?

15. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

What do you think we are, Gearbox?

Edit: Deleted a spoilery discussion between Gerald and I.
  16. Ginger Gerald

Ginger Gerald Well-Known Member

Yes.

Also, you could have left in my actual contribution and thoughts on Luck stats and systems... Which I guess I can just sum up as saying, I don't like them and I never will because I'm generally unlucky, but have no objection to other people spending their points in a stat that only offers a chance of a bonus or success with no other benefits.
  17. TRINITY

TRINITY Well-Known Member

Gearbox or not, it might take another year to realize it actually is a good name.
  18. Kith
    • Development Team
    • Designer

Considering it can be misconstrued as a dick joke? I disagree. "Luck" serves for both parts of the stat.
  19. FerralTech
    • Donator

FerralTech Well-Known Member

I'm kind of the opposite of Kith in that I wasn't originally a fan of losing the DT on the basis it was a random unexpected "Woohoo" moment in the game. I now see it as a bit of a gimmick that is there to lure in the punters.

Lolz, just call it "gambling" that's what you’re doing.

DT "flashing lights ding ding" you hit the jackpot gg Tier 3 by Tartasause
  20. Scorpione

Scorpione Well-Known Member

You can already do that...
    I can honestly say I took int cause at that time I was mainly mm and loved the energy + regen. DT was just a cherry on the top. Cloaked bugged barret osok overly OP!